Author Topic: Race cancellations thread  (Read 10695 times)

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
Re: Race cancellations thread
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2020, 03:55:45 PM »
USATF Junior Nationals canceled (last two weeks of July). No word on masters (a week before that). But no way will they have that now.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2020, 10:25:41 AM »
USATF Junior Nationals canceled (last two weeks of July). No word on masters (a week before that). But no way will they have that now.

Yeah, and finding all the tracks around here locked killed off what little motivation I had to start sprint training. The high intensity is much more effort for me compared to jogging for several miles. My training motivation comes from racing. Now I’m just running aimlessly.

In other news, CT Masters Games scheduled for May 15, postponed until October 17. I’m surprised it took them this long to cancel.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 11:26:24 AM by Arrojo »
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2020, 12:02:05 PM »
Utica Boilermaker (July) postponed to September.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2020, 12:21:17 PM »
They canceled Burning Man. Now this isn't a race, but it's in the late summer. It's starting to look like most large destination races are not going to be held this year.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2020, 07:03:05 PM »
I really think they aren't Coyote. I'm taking it very easy ramping back into running now because I don't think it's worth regressing and then finding out the race I planned won't happen anyways.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2020, 04:15:48 PM »
I'm hoping at least they find a way to hold some of the major events as elite/pro only. just for fandom and something to cheer about.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2020, 11:55:50 AM »

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2020, 02:38:29 PM »
I know.  Doesn't bode well for the other fall marathons.

I'm supposed to start training for BQ.2 at the end of May and have started working on running again. But realistically I don't expect the race to happen. It's small but with 8 loops there's no distancing.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2020, 10:17:50 PM »
Ouch!  Probably doesn't look good for Boston 2.0, but America is stupid, so who knows. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2020, 06:59:10 AM »
My race in September can't possibly happen. BQ.2 has a small field but it's a very small course: 8 laps in a park around a lake. And because one of the features is elite-style hydration they handle your water bottle over and over. It just won't work at all.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2020, 11:53:18 AM »
Ouch!  Probably doesn't look good for Boston 2.0, but America is stupid, so who knows.

Holding out some hope for common sense but an elite only event with out masses of runners and spectators. Just volunteers and security. It would be good for TV and morale, and then they should put the ad revenues back into the Boston community for people that need it. 

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2020, 11:17:47 AM »
The Peachtree 10K will now take the place of a very popular half marathon they usually hold.  So plenty of grumbling about that one.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2020, 12:14:48 PM »
The Peachtree 10K will now take the place of a very popular half marathon they usually hold.  So plenty of grumbling about that one.
Bolder Boulder on Labor Day has superseded it's younger cousin The Fortitude (same company and format, in Fort Collins) which was scheduled for that holiday. Probably all moot because it's likely that all races of any size will be canceled this year.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2020, 02:52:45 PM »
yes probably.  Though maybe some of the smaller races will happen and we have lots of those here.

maybe
https://www.runnersworld.com/races-places/a32249569/running-races-after-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR37CMIhxWd1j3szPYwyra4jfpjDv6-vSCyqm2Rwvqinojy8dxU2tMvsBqc

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2020, 04:21:44 PM »
Scott Douglas writes good/credible articles for RW (he's former editor of Running Times, when that was still in publication).

I like the idea of a rolling start or interval starts. Wave starts not so much unless the waves are small. I'd say interval starts of 4 per 30 seconds, in lanes for the first and last 200 m. You could get almost 500 runners in an hour, so not a mass race but a pretty good field. And I'd definitely be up for smaller races than that (100-200). For longer races, BYOB. 

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2020, 01:10:58 PM »
Bix 7 (July), done. Down to a virtual race.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2020, 10:59:24 AM »
Bix 7 (July), done. Down to a virtual race.

Oooh I always wanted to run the Bix.  I bet very few actually know who Bix Beiderbecke was.
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2020, 11:31:04 AM »
I went from middle school through college in Iowa, so everyone knew who Bix was. My high school friend's English Spaniel was named Bix.

Another friend won in the late 70s, before it became really big time. First 4-5 years it was more of a local/regional event with a few hundred participants. The year I ran was the first year it went big time, they brought in Bill Rodgers and number of entries doubled or tripled and the race took off after that. I'd like to go back, but have some other bucket list summer races like Falmouth, Beach to Beacon, and Peachtree that I'd also like to do.

+-SUPPORT US