Author Topic: Race cancellations thread  (Read 10718 times)

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
Re: Race cancellations thread
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2020, 11:18:40 AM »
BARKLEYISCANCELLED!!!  :'( :'( :'(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL1Qh7ZqOsw

This IS the apocalypse. If there would be one hold out it would be Laz.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2020, 11:39:43 AM »
Despite his immortality, Laz is also part of the vulnerable age group and needs to be preserved until the end of time  :old:

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2020, 04:08:59 PM »
Today, we announced that all USATF Championships are canceled for the next 30 days. Also canceled is the 2020 USATF Masters 10 km Championships set to be held in Dedham, Massachusetts on April 26, 2020.

And another. I bought tickets last month for the trip. But can get a voucher.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2020, 04:09:34 PM »
Sorry Coyote
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2020, 06:08:55 PM »
I was expecting it, but still a kick in the gut. I have a string of did not starts going back to October--Chicago (decided against it), Philly half (injured)--in addition to Tulsa (should not have started). And I signed up for a local 10K but was not ready to race in January, let alone run 6 miles.

Good time to just train and build that base.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2020, 08:26:39 PM »
Same here since Indy, glad I at least finished the 50K but had several DNS and a DNF due to injury. But I couldn't have done it any differently.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2020, 10:23:05 PM »
I got that email. It’s actually the James Joyce Ramble 10K. The ‘elites’ start up front, the rest of us riff-raff in the back. Challenging course, a few good hills. And of course people dressed up as characters from a James Joyce novel reading from the book at various points throughout the race. And then a big party with free beer afterward.

Sorry Coyote.
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline kawasa

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2020, 07:09:00 PM »
I have a dog/human race April 11th. It's still on so far but they've said they're taking it a day at a time. I'm assuming it'll be canceled :(

Posted on mobile

Offline kawasa

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2020, 07:22:15 PM »
I spoke too soon, my Paws Run emailed me that they're canceling right after my post :(

Posted on mobile

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2020, 07:48:11 PM »
Starting to see races in June being cancelled.  A 3000 person race/walk just got cancel, that run partly by city staff and agencies to support senior homes.  Guess they think they will have other things on their plate in the hopefully soon aftermath of the pandemic. 
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2020, 07:59:44 PM »
Drake Relays canceled.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2020, 08:47:22 PM »
Drake Relays canceled.

All but given up on anything in the spring and summer looking doubtful.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2020, 10:21:56 PM »
I'll be happy to have anything this year.  And do we train and hope for the fall races?  I guess we train to a certain point.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2020, 10:16:59 AM »
In the meantime, whether we race this year or not, build or maintain your base and maybe work on some of those areas that are weak spots. For me this summer it's raw speed. My speed endurance/aerobic efficiency have been strong, but I could do some work to get my 400 time down some to help with middle distance type speed. Work on the 400 some to get better at 800-mile.   

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2020, 05:16:16 PM »
https://theknow.denverpost.com/2020/03/20/bolder-boulder-2020-rescheduled-labor-day/235829/

Bolder Boulder to Labor Day, and resorbs the Fortitude 10K--a new race managed by the same company but held in Fort Collins. I did it last year, and it's also the race where Randy and I did some sleuthing to out an age group bib mule a couple of years ago.

Anyway, fingers crossed for this and it actually might be my big race of the year because travel is, who knows?

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2020, 06:47:53 PM »
It will change the race for this year because many of us *might* have kids heading back to school.  (man I hope so). But it's good they've figured it out for now.  I'm betting even June races (the few there were) are questionable.

I'm registered for the BQ.2 race in Geneva, IL in Sept and it could still hopefully happen.  BUT now who knows what will happen with the BAA's usual announcement.  If they even have it, so many races will have cancelled that who the fuck knows what that will look like.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2020, 11:15:06 PM »
In the meantime, whether we race this year or not, build or maintain your base and maybe work on some of those areas that are weak spots. For me this summer it's raw speed. My speed endurance/aerobic efficiency have been strong, but I could do some work to get my 400 time down some to help with middle distance type speed. Work on the 400 some to get better at 800-mile.   

I’m having a real hard time with motivation. I busted my ass training for Nationals and need a break from hard training. Jogging a little every other day, with P90X3 on the off days is all I can muster. Normally my motivation is the next race.  But maybe some speed endurance when we get to April. 400s. (Funny how for me that is speed endurance but for you it’s raw speed.  :)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2020, 06:54:35 AM »
all relative, right?

I'm working on a speed track right now, too.  Having the races go away is a bummer but does take some of the pressure off to cut this cycle short.  I'm sticking with the plan: I'll transition to marathon training in May for a mid Sept race and hope it happens.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2020, 07:50:05 AM »
I think +/- 6 hours a week is my happy place anyway, so I'm okay with just another week or two to get back there and then holding it at 6-7 hours with a couple light or moderate workouts a week is great for baseline training. And I have my spring time trial schedule all lined up, and my several from my masters team want to do that as well.

And for dalliance the reddit/slack group (mostly a bunch of milennials) has these weekly or so challenges. Last week we did the 800 m, this week it's a 1 minute hill climb, where you calculate the GAP pace on strava and plug that into an age grade calculator and come up with some numbers. They screwed up on the derivations though, and want us to put our "mile" pace into the calculator for 1000 m. So everyone is scoring in the 40s-50s% range.

After all that ramble however, I can see why Arrojo or anyone with a big spring race event or two would be disappointed. Yes take your break and get back at it. I'm thinking we will have a window by mid-late summer and only hope that it holds through the fall.

Next USATF championship is the road mile in August. So I might consider that, esp. now that plane tickets are already paid for. I just can't see them putting on WMAs in Toronto this summer. And if they have it I might consider USATF masters outdoors instead. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2020, 08:19:09 AM »
Yes, absolutely understand the disappointment.  And with the relay I'm out *a lot* of money if the new date doesn't end up working.  So there's all the expense of these things, too.

One thing that's annoying is seeing races pop up as advertisements in my FB feed.  Very tone deaf of the race directors if they're now trying to get registration.  Not to mention...probably a waste of $$ for them.

+-SUPPORT US