Author Topic: BBC documentary on doping - Salazar accusations  (Read 17082 times)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: BBC documentary on doping - Salazar accusations
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2015, 05:45:19 PM »
This is fascinating. This is what it takes. These coaches, etc, have always relied on the athletes to keep quiet. So to the extent that people are willing to speak out-- it's very good!

iwuzwilson

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2015, 08:29:55 AM »
Other than a few articles at major news sites the story still does not seem to be playing big in the US. It's another situation in Britain, where Mo is a huge deal. Now the news cycle is feeding on itself it seems and Farah's reaction to it all becomes the story unto itself.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jun/18/mo-farah-protect-reputation-alberto-salazar?

iwuzwilson

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2015, 10:01:20 AM »
Nothing on ST about it in nearly a week

LetsRun homepage looks to be running at about 50% NOP

I saw that yesterday, when you posted a link to ST. LRC is a bit of a shark tank and they smell blood. And if you are a distance or mid-distance fan Salazar has probably been the most controversial American figure for the past 8 or 10 years, with Rupp in tow. Rupp was about 20 or so when I saw reference him as "the experiment." Interestingly, two of the most controversial women runners on Letsrun (Kara Goucher and Lauren Fleshmen) are the ones who have had some first hand experience with the issues at hand.

iwuzwilson

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2015, 01:39:54 PM »
Farah speaks out on Facebook.

I have never taken performance enhancing drugs in my life and I never will. Over the course of my career I have taken hundreds of drugs tests and every single one has been negative. Ive fully explained the only two tests in my career that I have ever missed, which the authorities understood, and there was never any suggestion that these were anything more than simple mistakes.
The last two weeks have been the toughest of my life with rumours and speculation about me that are completely false and the impact this has had on my family and friends has left me angry, frustrated and upset. In particular, the media pressure on my young family and my wife, who is 5 months pregnant, is extremely painful, especially as Im away training for some important races.
As I made clear, I went to Portland to speak to Alberto Salazar and demand answers. He reassured me that the claims are false and that he will soon be providing evidence to make that clear. Until then I will not be commenting further on the allegations.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank my fans, family, friends and teammates for all the great support they have provided over the last few days and hope that I will now be allowed to focus on my training and winning medals for my country."

https://www.facebook.com/MoFarahGold?fref=ts

Read more: http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=6570705&page=0#ixzz3dWyT1SY3

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2015, 04:32:37 PM »
This is fascinating.
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

iwuzwilson

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2015, 08:03:18 AM »
British press stalks the Salazars in Portland.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/spo...tland.html

iwuzwilson

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2015, 03:37:37 PM »
Another massage therapist speaks up. Reported it to WADA three years ago.

http://www.theguardian.com/spo...-therapist
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 04:56:12 PM by Raj »

iwuzwilson

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2015, 12:40:18 PM »

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2015, 03:14:47 PM »

I never noticed it was a skull, I just saw wings or laurels

It is supposed to be a phantom.

iwuzwilson

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2015, 05:09:41 PM »
John Stiner (massage therapist interviewed on the BBC production) on Facebook today:

I told 100% the truth, I'll take 20 lie detector tests. Of course he said I'm lying.

I ask you Alberto Salazar; would you take a lie detector ..?

After all that has been said by nearly 20 separate people is this all you've got..?

iwuzwilson

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2015, 05:14:15 PM »
Some odd stuff going on in the Salazar rebuttal.

He admits to using his own sons as guinea pigs in an Androgel experiments. How many squirts of the substance would lead to a positive test in T:E ratios. Okay...
His rationale? They were concerned about sabatoge, and how much Androgel it would take if someone touched Galen or another athlete.
Sounds pretty disingenuous.

And him running around the world with tubes of androgel in his luggage. Not letting his athletes touch the bags for fear that they would contaminate themselves.

iwuzwilson

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2015, 08:57:21 PM »
Wow
Kara Goucher speaks out with candor and emotion following her 5000 meter race on Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo0QBCuYZcc

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2015, 10:30:14 AM »
Wow
Kara Goucher speaks out with candor and emotion following her 5000 meter race on Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo0QBCuYZcc

Interesting.  Do you have faith that USADA will have a fair and accurate report?  When do you think it will be complete?
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

iwuzwilson

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2015, 11:29:43 AM »
Interesting.  Do you have faith that USADA will have a fair and accurate report?  When do you think it will be complete?

Good questions. USADA is independent and not beholden to USATF or corporations so you can only hop that they will be fair. They did bring down Lance after all. The thing about fair and accurate might be different, they will hopefully (if not likely) be fair but this does not appear to be a systemic doping program like what went on with the US Postal Service team/Lance for all those years.

From what it sounds like Salazar kept a cloak of secrecy about what he was doing with Rupp (possibly Farah). It's as if they had layers of "benefits," depending on the athete's level/and insiderness. Like once in the program, they got the altitude tents, alter G, form work, and benefits of above board science. Then there would be those delving into the gray area (like Goucher and Lauren Fleshman) who got prescription drugs--sometimes legitimately sometimes not so much--and then were told to use them to the maximum. That's borderline but probably won't result in any sanctions. However, if it can be proven that Salazar was giving prescription drugs to athletes who did not have the prescriptions (which is what Goucher alleges), then that's crossing the legal line and not just WADA/USADA rules.

Likewise, mailing drugs, even prescription prednisone, to Europe and such is a no.

The accusations about Rupp, if they are as Magness and Goucher have said, really go into the illegal realm. Testosterone supplents at 16, micro-dosing massages with Androgel, IVs presumably to mask any concentrations of drugs, etc. would be highly illegal. But the thing is, there is not yet any direct evidence that this did occur. And so far, no one from the inner circle has spoken up. So to get to the most serious claims, either someone with direct evidence has to speak out and show the evidence (like with the cyclists that brought down Lance) or one of the athletes in the group will have to get caught with a positive test.

A lot of people are asking about Dathan Ritzenhein and Alan Webb who were in the program ca. 2009 - 2013. What do they know and will they speak up?

But with the evidence that they have now it would not not much more than a slap on the wrist for Salazar, and a cloud of suspicion for the program. 

As far as timing. This will take months and we really might not hear much until next year.

+-SUPPORT US