Author Topic: Sourdough  (Read 59877 times)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Re: Sourdough
« Reply #300 on: April 10, 2020, 04:46:13 PM »
And I'll throw in a question:
My starter is on Day 11 and in the fridge. I did the feed/discard thing 2 days ago.  Should I pull it out of the fridge and do that again or can I leave it in (dormant?) until a day or two before I want to use?
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #301 on: April 18, 2020, 02:42:55 PM »
A lot depends on how strong your starter is and how you want to use it.  I keep mine in the fridge all the time and don't bither to feed it before using.  Once I take some out I feed it, let it sit ar room temp for a while, then i stick it back int he fridge until the next time.

All it does is make that first rise go more slowly if I'm not using a levain first.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #302 on: April 18, 2020, 03:01:13 PM »
Got it. Thanks, I’m learning. :)

Made one of KAs sourdough replies today that called for a little yeast and the starter. Turned out to be delicious if not the prettiest.

I maybe need to do better than baking on a sheet though it’s not a high priority at this point. I don’t really want to use my pretty Dutch oven. But I definitely need something sharper to slash. Should I get a lame?

"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #303 on: April 18, 2020, 05:40:52 PM »
I don't have a lame or bannetons. I use a single razor blade. A lame is basically just a razor blade holder.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 11:33:23 PM by Run Amok »

Offline CheryG

« Reply #304 on: April 18, 2020, 06:26:28 PM »
I use disposable scalpels from Amazon. They're super sharp and stay sharp for cutting dough for a long time.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #305 on: April 19, 2020, 04:17:20 PM »
Example- it's been about two weeks since I've used my starter and I didn't have enough for my basic one day short rise sourdough.

So, I took the 1C of starter, added enough flour and water to make 2C of "levain". I wanted two separate loaves, so divided that 2C into two bowls.

To each bowl I added 1C of water and 1C of spelt.

Put them into my oven with the pilot light on. 5 hours later they were fully bubbled and ready to go.  I added the rest of the ingredients (roughly 2.5C bread flour to each) and it's looking like the first rise will be 1.5hrs, I'll give them a second rise of 45 minutes to an hour, however long it takes.

Even if I use a longer rise recipe with less of an inoculation of starter I still don't pre feed the starter. Bulk rise will just take longer.

I think the flavors are better this way, and I never have the waste of discard.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #306 on: April 19, 2020, 07:13:55 PM »
Got it. Thanks, that's really helpful.  The starter from Leite didn't make much so I really only had enough for the sourdough recipe on KA's site that calls for yeast and starter. I'm fixing that now.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #307 on: April 25, 2020, 09:43:07 PM »
I made these crackers from some discard and they were fantastic:
https://www.loveandoliveoil.com/2019/03/sourdough-crackers-with-olive-oil-herbs.html

I almost like them more than sourdough bread. Didn't have the wheat flour (and can't seem to get it online yet) so used all white + the bit of rye. For the herbs I used Penzey's sandwich sprinkle.  Picked up some cheeses yesterday at a cheese shop I trust and man was it all good together.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #308 on: April 27, 2020, 07:00:18 AM »
I'll have to try those, thanks!

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #309 on: May 11, 2020, 11:04:09 AM »
I just have to say, I really enjoy reading this thread even though I don't enjoy bread making. :)

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #310 on: May 16, 2020, 01:07:45 PM »
I made the crackers and they are really good. I like being able to use up some of my seasonings as they are getting older and are losing their potency. The crackers will definitely go into regular rotation.

My breads don't brown very well. Tips, anyone?

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #311 on: May 16, 2020, 01:26:46 PM »
oh good!  I also made this (non sourdough) easy peasy bread from KA's website and it was a good use of herbs too:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/crusty-cloche-bread-recipe

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #312 on: May 16, 2020, 02:35:48 PM »
Natasha are you baking inside something, like a pot?

I bought some store brand bread flour. My dough is weird. :(

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #313 on: May 16, 2020, 09:24:40 PM »
Natasha are you baking inside something, like a pot?

I bought some store brand bread flour. My dough is weird. :(

I do have a heavy pot that I can put over the bread as it's baking. It didn't seem to help, but maybe I am remembering wrong.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #314 on: May 17, 2020, 01:31:15 AM »
Honestly,  I didn't have great results with a pot or bowl over the bread. Not sure why. Once I started baking in a dutch oven things got much better.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #315 on: May 17, 2020, 01:37:00 AM »
Also,  what temp are you baking at?

You could try CGs recipe. It includes some added sugar which will help browning

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #316 on: May 17, 2020, 11:06:36 AM »
So the Foodbod recipe gets a huge thumbs up from me.  I used Bobs Red Mill Artisan Bread Flour, started the recipe at 4:30 last night, left it on the counter all night, shaped and retarded in the fridge at 9am, baked it off at around 1:30pm this afternoon. It's beautiful, the crumb is open and velvety, it's sour... love it.

https://foodbodsourdough.com/the-process/

Alright, going to give this a shot. I need to figure out how to alter the recipe for a warmer kitchen.

I have a small oven without a thermostat, so it's guesswork on what temp I bake at, especially if I'm using something enclosed like a dutch oven. I set the oven to whatever is in the recipe and leave it for 15-30 minutes to preheat.

I will say, I miss the immediate gratification of other kinds of bread. I decided to make sourdough this morning, and *may* be able to finish it by tomorrow evening.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 03:15:49 PM by Natasha »

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #317 on: May 19, 2020, 10:41:45 AM »
Wow! Using the Dutch oven cold is a game changer for me. This is the best rise I’ve ever had, and so much easier, not having to drop dough into a super hot metal pan.

My crust still didn’t brown though, and I removed the lid and baked longer as she suggested.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #318 on: May 21, 2020, 06:05:52 PM »
Yay Natasha!!!  If you're certain your oven is reaching high enough temps, maybe proof a little less?

This was my fun today- I'm not 100% happy with how it baked off, but it's yummy as all heck!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAdzi2LFAb5/?igshid=ba5zfuhbjktk

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #319 on: May 21, 2020, 10:23:11 PM »
Do you have a recipe for that one? Gorgeous!

+-SUPPORT US