Author Topic: Perpetual Soup Thread  (Read 65237 times)

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
Re: Perpetual Soup Thread
« Reply #120 on: November 02, 2018, 03:09:00 PM »
I really, really want it cool enough to make soup. I think I am just going to have to do it on an 80 degree day.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #121 on: November 02, 2018, 04:16:04 PM »
Yeah! Soup thread is back!

I'm going to make some sort of butternut squash/sweet potato soup soon, as I just roasted a pile of both and nobody wants to eat it but me. Too bad, so sad, delicious soup coming my way!

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2018, 08:21:25 AM »
Yeah! Soup thread is back!

I'm going to make some sort of butternut squash/sweet potato soup soon, as I just roasted a pile of both and nobody wants to eat it but me. Too bad, so sad, delicious soup coming my way!

Last weekend, I roasted a sugar pumpkin to make a pie for my BIL and his wife who were visiting from Los Altos.  Although a bit more work than opening a can of Libby's pumpkin, the result was pretty good.  I have some leftover pumpkin puree so I think I'll make a soup using that this afternoon.

#notallprogressives

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2018, 09:18:05 AM »
Last weekend, I roasted a sugar pumpkin to make a pie for my BIL and his wife who were visiting from Los Altos.  Although a bit more work than opening a can of Libby's pumpkin, the result was pretty good.  I have some leftover pumpkin puree so I think I'll make a soup using that this afternoon.

I’ve never made a pumpkin pie from scratch! I always feel like pumpkin is a “quickie” when it comes to making pie, if I use a premade crust it’s almost no effort at all.

I would very happily devour a scratch pumpkin pie, though. Sounds delish!

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #124 on: November 03, 2018, 09:42:55 AM »
I’ve never made a pumpkin pie from scratch! I always feel like pumpkin is a “quickie” when it comes to making pie, if I use a premade crust it’s almost no effort at all.

I would very happily devour a scratch pumpkin pie, though. Sounds delish!

It was really easy!  Just split the little pumpkin, scrape out the seeds and "guts," then roast it at 350 for ~ 1 hour, depending on the size of the pumpkin.  The texture of the roasted sugar pumpkin is smooth, much less fibrous than a jack-o-lantern pumpkin.

I cleaned and roasted the seeds, too, but wasn't thrilled with the result.  The birds ended up with those!

#notallprogressives

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2018, 10:13:31 AM »
Love soups!!!

I'm not big on cream-based soups... If you like a good rich tomato soup that is sans the cream, you'll love this one.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-tomato-basil-soup-recipe-1940376

You can adjust the basil to your taste. 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2018, 12:36:04 AM »
This is great.  Filling, flavorful, and kinda healthy. 

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/navy-bean-and-escarole-stew-with-feta-and-olives

We didn't have escarole so used arugula.  We put more of everything in, especially olives.  I'm sure using the feta brine would be great, but we didn't have any and it didn't need it.  A nice sprinkle of feta on each bowl before serving is sufficient.  Also, no need to fuss with the bread.  We just toast a crusty roll, cut it in half, and put it at the bottom of the bowl.

This recipe was amazing. Mmmmmm.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #127 on: November 06, 2018, 05:08:46 AM »
I really, really want it cool enough to make soup. I think I am just going to have to do it on an 80 degree day.
I eat soup most days of the year, including summer.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #128 on: November 07, 2018, 07:49:26 AM »
This recipe was amazing. Mmmmmm.

Yes, I make a variation on this all the time.  Quick and delicious.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #129 on: November 07, 2018, 09:30:55 AM »
I eat soup most days of the year, including summer.

Its not the eating it thats the problem...its the making it.  :D

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #130 on: November 07, 2018, 09:52:20 AM »
MM do you have an instantpot?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #131 on: November 07, 2018, 02:55:17 PM »
Its not the eating it thats the problem...its the making it.  :D
instant pot!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #132 on: November 07, 2018, 08:04:05 PM »

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #133 on: November 08, 2018, 08:33:16 AM »
It was really easy!  Just split the little pumpkin, scrape out the seeds and "guts," then roast it at 350 for ~ 1 hour, depending on the size of the pumpkin.  The texture of the roasted sugar pumpkin is smooth, much less fibrous than a jack-o-lantern pumpkin.

I cleaned and roasted the seeds, too, but wasn't thrilled with the result.  The birds ended up with those!

I roast pumpkin with the seeds in, then run it though a food mill to separate the flesh from the seeds and skin if I am looking for a puree. When I roast squash or pumpkin to eat as roasted squash or pumpkin, I eat the seeds roasted in situ.  I have no patience for cleaning seeds.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #134 on: November 08, 2018, 09:45:39 AM »
MM do you have an instantpot?

Nope.

Maybe I will add one to my Christmas list.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #135 on: November 09, 2018, 07:46:45 AM »
Nope.

Maybe I will add one to my Christmas list.

I think this would be a great idea if you do not want to heat up the kitchen.  And you will be able to participate in the yogurt discussions!  :)

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #136 on: November 09, 2018, 11:12:24 AM »
I think this would be a great idea if you do not want to heat up the kitchen.  And you will be able to participate in the yogurt discussions!  :)

I don't like yogurt.  :d

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #137 on: November 09, 2018, 12:13:52 PM »

:heartbeat: my IP for making yogurt!  And I also  :heartbeat: yogurt.  A lot.

#notallprogressives

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2018, 12:21:19 PM »
I roast pumpkin with the seeds in, then run it though a food mill to separate the flesh from the seeds and skin if I am looking for a puree. When I roast squash or pumpkin to eat as roasted squash or pumpkin, I eat the seeds roasted in situ.  I have no patience for cleaning seeds.

Although more involved than what you're describing, it was actually pretty easy to clean the seeds once I gutted the pumpkin.  I put them in a big mixing bowl, filled it with hot water and let it sit for a few minutes, then rubbed the seeds between my hands to separate them from the fibers.  The seeds float whereas the clumps of fibers sink.  I just skimmed the seeds off the surface of the water.

What I didn't like was the hull of the seed.  Sure, it was crisp and salty from roasting, but it was like chewing gum.

The pumpkin soup was good.  Pretty simple with sauteed onions and garlic, veggie broth, and the pumpkin puree.  In addition to salt and pepper, I seasoned it with one of my South Indian masala mixes (sambar podi) but a commercial curry powder would be fine.  That flavor really marries well with pumpkin and other winter squashes.

#notallprogressives

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #139 on: November 09, 2018, 12:31:15 PM »
Although more involved than what you're describing, it was actually pretty easy to clean the seeds once I gutted the pumpkin.  I put them in a big mixing bowl, filled it with hot water and let it sit for a few minutes, then rubbed the seeds between my hands to separate them from the fibers.  The seeds float whereas the clumps of fibers sink.  I just skimmed the seeds off the surface of the water.

it's funny that I am happy to roll out individual dough wrappers into near perfect circles of consistent thickness and then to stuff and elaborately fold them for steaming dumplings, or to painstakingly drip oil with one hand while whisking mayonnaise with the other hand because I believe it tastes just a wee bit less bitter than when you use a blender... but my reaction to your description of cleaning pumpkin seeds is, "pfft... too much work... PASS"

:D

+-SUPPORT US