Author Topic: Have we talked about CrossFit?  (Read 52850 times)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Re: Have we talked about CrossFit?
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2014, 10:30:25 PM »
good for her!  I'm glad she's enjoying it.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2014, 10:44:25 PM »
One of the local cross fit gyms is doing a free 3x/week class for high schoolers. My daughter started going last week and, though very sore, seems to be enjoying it. :)

Unca Fred and the Greenman won't approve!  :yikes:

:D  I say, good for her!  And good for you too.  I bet the example you set didn't hurt a bit.  Kids don't get the idea that physical fitness is important spontaneously.  Someone has to show them the way. 

Offline GreenMan

• The Runners
  • Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2014, 11:47:11 PM »

:confused:
Habits eat good intentions for breakfast.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2014, 09:54:57 PM »
Well, she's two weeks in and seems to like it. :)  I'm hoping they keep offering this program. Maybe I'll send them a note of appreciation.

Offline fancypants

• The Runners
    • Unanswered Flurry
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2014, 09:38:47 AM »
Two weeks is usually enough to get someone over the hump
I don't have time for laundry; I'm trying to have a great life.

http://herheiness.wordpress.com/

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
  • Non-Repentant Slowtwitcher
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2014, 08:15:47 PM »

I don't "disapprove" of CrossFit in any way; I disapprove of people getting themselves hurt just to save face with knuckleheads

And I disapprove of those knuckleheads who put others in a position to get hurt, just because THEY wanna look so fucking cool

If someone is in a new workout routine, and they doing regularly AND safely, and it's showing results [both inside AND out]; I totally support that
'We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be' ― Kurt Vonnegut

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
'We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be' ― Kurt Vonnegut

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2014, 08:45:53 PM »
It's been great for my running.  I've never won age group awards until I started doing CF.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2014, 10:10:27 AM »
It's been great for my running.  I've never won age group awards until I started doing CF.

So, there you go!

Well done!!!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2014, 08:21:57 AM »
 :d

Offline wherestheportojohn

« Reply #110 on: April 21, 2014, 08:15:06 PM »
Dev is wicked fit. :rockon:
On, Wisconsin

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #111 on: April 21, 2014, 08:38:45 PM »
Dev is wicked fit. :rockon:

As are you, dearie. 

Offline Schrödinger’s Bat

• The Runners
« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2014, 06:09:57 AM »

My DH didn't do crossfit (trademark), but did his own versions of some of the exercises via a trainer and on his own last year.
He ran 4 marathons with no injuries, and did a PB time @ Chicago. The no injuries, for his biomechanics, is almost a miracle.

I guarantee that that training made all the difference to his running.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2014, 07:55:46 AM »
Great to read, Sbat.  I didn't know that factored into his training.

Since that last post, I won another AG award (second in my age group).  I'm in this sweet spot where I can squat and throw 14 pound balls at the wall AND none of the fast women in my age group are showing up at the races I run.  :)

Online Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2014, 01:17:52 PM »
While I don't do "CrossFit", I lift aerobically daily.  The upper body strength I have has been critical for being able to drive the last mile of a race and still have a really good "kick".

Offline markalan

• Not Dead
« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2014, 02:57:54 PM »
I've been doing Crossfit since the end of April and it's great - our trainers constantly pushing form, just so nobody gets hurt. Every class start with a skill session, just working on a specific movement, that will get incorporated into the WOD.   And even then we're still getting our form corrected.  We have people at all levels in a class from old farts like me, to a couple of people training for the Games. 
Over 70,000 young adults between 18-40 are diagnosed with some form of Cancer every year. That's 1 diagnosis in every 8 minutes. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #116 on: May 29, 2014, 11:15:14 AM »
http://fittish.deadspin.com/rebuttal-no-crossfit-does-not-terribly-maim-or-disfig-1582870025

Quote from: Fittish / Deadspin
A video released yesterday claims to be the "Ultimate Crossfit [SIC] Fails Compilation," during which you see a common theme of pain and worst-case scenarios in the gym. Problem is, that's not CrossFit, according to a company rep.

"The majority of it was not people doing CrossFit," says Russ Greene, a CrossFit spokesman. "So that just indicates that this [video] person—and people in general—are confused about what it is. And that's understandable."

In the video, there is a clip from a powerlifting competition. CrossFit athletes may do Olympic lifting, but that's a completely different sport. There's also a clip from American Ninja Warrior training. That's TV.

Really, Greene says, the video should be called "Workout Fails" or "Athletic Fails"—but that's not as catchy. CrossFit is more than a fitness regimen; it's a cult and culture, a popular but insular community that has only recently begun to explain itself to the world.

There are millions of people doing CrossFit every year. You probably know a few because they won't shut up about it. But the danger is taking a few anecdotes to categorize the whole.

Does the clip show any CrossFit gyms or athletes? Yes, Greene says, but many aren't. Regardless, there's a lot more to it than blindly box jumping and barbell-pressing.

"More people are learning about what it really is," he says, "rather than a caricature, which is not based on reality."

The vid in question is below, and I agree; just because something is done in a crappy warehouse doesn't make it CrossFit

Ultimate Crossfit Fails Compilation || FailArmy

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2014, 09:02:22 AM »
The xGF who runs the CF box sent this pic to me yesterday; I just may need to sign up & get one

https://www.mastersfunctionalfitnessleague.com/

Offline GreenMan

• The Runners
  • Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2014, 09:38:44 AM »
 :sidesplit:
Habits eat good intentions for breakfast.

Offline BobM59

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #119 on: July 08, 2014, 09:41:55 AM »
I don't "disapprove" of CrossFit in any way; I disapprove of people getting themselves hurt just to save face with knuckleheads

And I disapprove of those knuckleheads who put others in a position to get hurt, just because THEY wanna look so fucking cool

If someone is in a new workout routine, and they doing regularly AND safely, and it's showing results [both inside AND out]; I totally support that

Haven't been in this thread for a while, but checked back and really like this post.

The other thing that keeps me at arms length is that I don't want to be any more of a self-obsessed douche than I already am, and the people that I know that have gone down the road with Crossfit are fucking INSUFFERABLE.

I'd love the results.  I don't mind the work.  I don't want to turn into that guy.

+-SUPPORT US