Author Topic: Running Current Events Thread - Late 2022  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Loco Coyote

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster
Running Current Events Thread - Late 2022
« on: November 28, 2022, 04:22:09 PM »
This sub-forum has to, or should, be more than daily updates by a handful of regulars. All sorts of shit's going down. So at least for the last month of 2022 (just as things are winding down) how about some discussion.

Here are some current hot topics, which you may or may not heard of (with some overlap)

NCAA XC championships the other week -- arguably the most exciting ever, and as a follower of the event for about 45 years I would have to agree.

Tuohy vs. Valby (see above) - who's side are you on?

What is Connor Mantz's marathon potential?

What of Molly Seidel's 2022 and long pause?

How about that Emily Sisson? What did she just do? Bueller? Anyone?

Kenyan dope busts?

Say it ain't so Eluid!

Huntington College XC/track scandal?

Don't bore me with any Big Back Yard shit!

What about Jakob and the Norwegian training system?

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
Re: Running Current Events Thread - Late 2022
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 07:45:43 PM »
Saw the Tuohy vs. Valby battle on YouTube. It was exciting as all get.  :cheerleader:

I ain't got any opinion or knowledge of any other topic listed.  :-[
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Loco Coyote

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 08:11:19 PM »
Although I was impressed with Katelyn Touhy as a high school phenom a few years ago, I was something of a skeptic because so frequently those that excel in their teens burn out or get injured by college. Well, Tuohy has certainly defied the odds, but winning the NCAA 5000 m championship last spring (over Valby) and then taking the XC title last weekend seals her as a bonified rising star. Apparently, she is going to attempt a sub 15 minute 5K this weekend, a time that Olympic medalists JB Samuelson, Deena Kastor, Shalane Flanagan, and Molly Seidel did not achieve in college.

Valby looks really strong and will be good on the roads. Runs low mileage but trains a lot on the elliptical and Alt G device.

Offline Loco Coyote

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 08:16:21 PM »
The Kenya scandal is growing, and the AIU (Athletics Integrity Unit) is deciding what to do. There has been something like 50 busts of Kenyan athletes this year (or 50-some are currently suspended for doping). They may get a ban like Russia did in 2015-2016. The connection with Eluid Kipchoge is that three of his sub 2 pacers have been caught, and one or two of his direct teammates/training partners. So it's not looking great right now. There could be a decision as soon as tomorrow. 

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 10:57:21 PM »
Looks like Kenya will not face a ban from world competition. But needs to invest heavily in anti-doping testing and programs.

https://runningmagazine.ca/the-scene/world-athletics-will-not-ban-kenya-from-competition/ 

Offline Loco Coyote

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2022, 09:49:28 AM »
Thanks for the update. Interesting.

Kipchoge now scheduled to run Boston for the first time.

Letesenbet Gidey going for women's world record tomorrow in Valencia, talk of sub 2:10 shape! (she ran 1:02 :50  for the women's half record last year in Valencia). But 2:10 is crazy talk. WR? First sub 2:14, stay tuned!

« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 09:59:01 AM by Loco Coyote »

Offline Loco Coyote

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2022, 07:39:27 AM »
Spoiler alert!

Valencia was fast and a couple surprise winners.

Relatively obscure Kelvin Kiptum ran 2:01:53 and Aname Beriso 2:14:58, each 3rd fast fastest ever for the men's and women's marathon. Gidey placed 2nd and ran 2:16:58 for the fastest debut for a woman.

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2022, 10:54:33 AM »
Whoa!  :o

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2022, 09:10:37 PM »
Looks like CJ Albertson might actually have some company in the first half of Boston this time!  :d

Now fingers crossed for no last minute "mysterious injury" (or doping ban, for that matter) and 2011 weather so we can enjoy a Boston sub 2!   :runner:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 09:30:44 PM by nadra's babydaddy »

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2022, 04:41:08 PM »
Okay more topics!

SISSONSISSONSISSON!!! It's about time one of the ever-dangerous "double letter" crowd dropped a masterpiece when it counted.  If we can make a habit out of the yankee ladies dropping sub 2:20s, then the marathon majors should become a lot more fun!

Very impressed by Mantz's debut as well - quite a day for the 'muricans in Chicago!  2:06 or possibly 2:05 wouldn't surprise me in the future, but I think he'll be a force if he sticks with it.  Of course the trials might not be suited to his strengths cuz they're in....

Aside:  I feel lucky to live where I do in terms of getting to witness the local talent up close.  I've run into Mantz multiple times; I do a popular 5k in his hometown every year that he occasionally shows up to and jogs a 15:30 to win (before going out to trot another 13 miles or so up the canyon).  Note that the same 5k was won by Matt Centrowitz this year!   Molly Seidel also trains up here sometimes and I have a habit of "just missing" her with running in similar locations on the same day. 

Speaking of Molly, she's also just ripped a string of 120-130 mile weeks, so she seems to be rolling along nicely for the moment.  The BAA half shows she has a ways to go, but seems to be well on her way.  I think being thrust back into the spotlight has been challening for her, which has played into her 2022 struggles. 

Will have to check out the Tuohy/Valby clash...

Offline Loco Coyote

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2022, 12:43:14 PM »
Centro is moving to Provo from what I hear.

Molly Seidel will be back, maybe. Pro marathoning is tricky and once you get that big injury it can be hard to come back to the same level. Meanwhile, the other women keep getting faster and faster. See how she does in early '23.

Offline Loco Coyote

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2022, 12:53:33 PM »
USATF Club XC last weekend was interesting. I was there (not that such a fact would make it interesting, probably detracts from it, being just another overaged hobby runner).

The weather was crazy bad. 20-40 mph winds and heavy rains in the morning resulted in some falling trees including a 100 ft. eucalyptus tree just a couple dozen meters from the start line during the men's 60+ race. They allowed that race to finish and the Golden Gate Park rangers were going to shut the remaining races down (men's 40-59 masters, open women, and open men) but after some delays and negotiation they had the race on the old horse track (0.75 mile loop on a semi-paved surface but no big trees that could fall).

Cole Hocker (2021 Olympian) won the modified 6 mile race in 26:28 (about 27:45 pace for a full 10K), and Beth Hasz outkicked Natosha Rogers (ran the 10000 in last summer's World Championships) for the 5.7K women's race. It was all kind of a mess but the officials and runners made the best of it.

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2022, 09:57:08 PM »
The automatic qualifying standards for the 2024 Paris Olympics in Athletics are gonna be tough.

For the marathon, on the men’s side, the 2024 standard is 2:08:10 (compared to 2:11:30 in 2020). On the women’s side, the 2024 standard is 2:26:50 ( 2:29:30 in 2020).

Also of note, men must break the 10-second barrier in the 100m to gain automatic qualification

Offline DrT(weekendwrAcur)

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2022, 10:01:58 AM »
Loco— you mentioned the NCAA XC championship in the original post. I kind of followed along after-the-fact and still plan to go back and watch a video of it if I can find it online.

As a fan of collegiate sports in general I found out afterwards that Tulsa had beaten Oklahoma State in the Regional Qualifying race on essentially their home trail (top two teams qualified through to nationals). And then at Nationals (on the same course) it came down to the tiebreaker between hosting OSU and the champions Northern Arizona (now 3-time consecutive champions).
First time this race has had to use a tiebreaker to determine the champions.

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2023, 01:12:21 AM »
More Boston entrants dropped.... https://www.baa.org/127th-boston-marathon-mens-field-feature-abbott-world-marathon-major-champions-olympic-paralympic

Will Albertson finally take it all or go home devastated???

+-SUPPORT US