Author Topic: US Thanksgiving!  (Read 2330 times)

Offline Rejaneration

• Passed on to another Brane
  • The Arbiter of Cool
US Thanksgiving!
« on: November 10, 2022, 05:53:10 PM »
Whatcha making?
I am thinking of doing something different.  Maybe a goose.  But, I have never cooked a goose before.
How easy is it? How does it compare to a turkey?

When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Re: US Thanksgiving!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 07:32:24 PM »
My MIL used to make one every xmas eve. It's not too hard -- IIRC the major difference is you want to prick the skin of the goose so that the fat runs out while you are roasting it. And you get a lot less meat.

I haven't thought too much about my Thanksgiving menu yet, thanks for starting the thread! We are hosting at the NY house. Really looking forward to it.

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 08:20:35 PM »
IIRC, there are Food CHers who have goose experience.  My DH attempted Julia Child's steam-roasted goose from The Way to Cook some years ago (we were still in Cambridge), and it was...disappointing.  I think he overcooked it.  The breast meat was weirdly springy and tough.  Similarly, my mother roasted one for Christmas once, and again, I remember it as being tough.

However, Julia's procedure for roast goose in Mastering the Art of French Cooking looks much better.  I found the video from The French Chef in which she roasts a goose per Mastering the Art.  I like that she recommends a goose no more than 9 pounds.  I think that was the issue with the birds my DH and my mom roasted in addition to overcooking: the bird was a bit too old.

The braising method looks good.  I'd go for apple and sausage stuffing rather than liver paté stuffed prunes.  ETA:  It looks like a LOT of work!

The French Chef, Season 2: Roast Goose

I'm not wild about roast turkey on its own (good for sandwiches though) so we usually roast a large chicken or a duck.  We discussed Thanksgiving dinner last weekend, and it will be fairly simple since I won't have the stamina to be on my feet for any long period in the kitchen.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 08:32:29 PM by DocBuzzkill »

#notallprogressives

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2022, 11:52:22 AM »
Mmm, duck is the other option.  I have never roasted a duck either though.

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2022, 12:20:32 PM »
goose* is easy - I boil mine prior to roasting.
duck is easy, too. I line the roasting pan with day old bread to catch the drippings...and the resulting toast is usually eaten before I finish carving.

*all of your company should really dig dark meat, tho.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 12:22:35 PM by witchypoo »

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 06:54:39 AM »
My DD just told me that turkey is 'trash' meat.  So, goose it is!  And we will have enough sides (and my portuguese meat based stuffing), that if the goose turns out terribly, then oh well!

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 05:46:00 PM »
My DD just told me that turkey is 'trash' meat.  So, goose it is!  And we will have enough sides (and my portuguese meat based stuffing), that if the goose turns out terribly, then oh well!
What does that mean, trash meat? lol
I still don't know what I'm making... aside from the standard turkey/gravy/potatoes. People so far are bringing stuffing, a polenta dish, squash, green bean casserole.

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 08:24:51 PM »
This is the recipe I use for roast duck.  It's easy and consistently good with plenty of rendered duck fat for other uses. The balsamic vinegar-honey glaze is a nice finish.

Julia's Album: Roast Duck Recipe

#notallprogressives

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2022, 11:45:23 AM »
I just can't get excited about it. It's just me and DH, and I haven't seen any turkey for sale. If I hear of a restaurant offering a Thanksgiving meal, we might try to make it happen but even then I'm feeling meh.

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2022, 07:19:59 PM »
One of the more disappointing meals I think.  But we will do traditional turkey and all the fixings.
I don't really care about the bird. The sides are what I prefer. Including GBC. This year I'm looking for good Brussel sprout recipe with bacon.
We always make my mother's turkey tetrazzini with the leftover turkey.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
US Thanksgiving!
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2022, 12:35:36 PM »
I'm shopping tonight for tg groceries. All I'm really on the hook for this year is the turkey, gravy, and taters... but I'm sure I'll wind up making more stuff bc I can't resist.

We are cooking at the cabin this year, which does not currently have a particularly well equipped kitchen. It will be like camping lol!

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2022, 12:41:20 PM »
I'm shopping tonight for tg groceries. All I'm really on the hook for this year is the turkey, gravy, and taters... but I'm sure I'll wind up making more stuff bc I can't resist.

We are cooking at the cabin this year, which does not currently have a particularly well equipped kitchen. It will be like camping lol!
Equipping two kitchens is/ can be an expensive affair!

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
US Thanksgiving!
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2022, 01:04:34 PM »
I'm trying to have all the stuff at the cabin (kitchen and other rooms too) be stuff that's either extra stuff we had at home or stuff we pick up for free.

Eventually we will move out there as our full time house and I don't want to wind up with an expensive two of everything there. So, we are improvising/making do for now.

It feels a bit like it did furnishing my first few college apartments!

(Except, I have a LOT of kitchen stuff already. And certainly no shortage of dishes, thanks to my in-laws....)

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2022, 05:02:20 PM »
so our menu is set (after much hemming and hawing with mr. 'poo)*

spiced nuts for snackin'
confit turkey legs with chile crisp
dauphinoise potatoes
roasted brussels sprouts
green salad
focaccia with garlic and spring onions
coconut cream pie

and several bottles of claret

*all pending the return of cooperative sense of smell - everything in my house smells and tastes of soap at the moment (don't get unvaxxed OG covid, yo)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2022, 05:08:56 PM »
That sounds yummy witchy. Is it just the two of you, or are you hosting?

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2022, 10:42:37 AM »
I'm trying to have all the stuff at the cabin (kitchen and other rooms too) be stuff that's either extra stuff we had at home or stuff we pick up for free.

Eventually we will move out there as our full time house and I don't want to wind up with an expensive two of everything there. So, we are improvising/making do for now.

It feels a bit like it did furnishing my first few college apartments!

(Except, I have a LOT of kitchen stuff already. And certainly no shortage of dishes, thanks to my in-laws....)
I give / have given a lot of kitchen gifts to A. So whenever she gets something new the old one gets taken to the other house. So we have one superior decked out kitchen and one very decent but older equipped kitchen.

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2022, 10:43:05 AM »
so our menu is set (after much hemming and hawing with mr. 'poo)*

spiced nuts for snackin'
confit turkey legs with chile crisp
dauphinoise potatoes
roasted brussels sprouts
green salad
focaccia with garlic and spring onions
coconut cream pie

and several bottles of claret

*all pending the return of cooperative sense of smell - everything in my house smells and tastes of soap at the moment (don't get unvaxxed OG covid, yo)
That sounds delicious except no GBC.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2022, 10:05:03 AM »
I like to try out one new recipe every Thanksgiving.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1023511-roasted-brussels-sprouts-with-cinnamon-butter-yogurt-and-chestnuts?smid=ck-recipe-iOS-share

Everything I’ve made from Ottolenghi has not just been good, it’s been out of this world so I’m expecting to like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2022, 11:05:30 AM »
That sounds yummy witchy. Is it just the two of you, or are you hosting?

just the two of us - my mother is hosting everyone else (up in the hinterlands) but the long drive, my fatigue issues, mr. 'poo's work schedule, and having two dogs complicates everything (I called the kennel about holiday rates - holy effin shit). 

it's easier and less stress inducing to stay home.

I will miss the carousing with my niblings, though.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2022, 11:06:12 AM »
That sounds delicious except no GBC.

we had that three days ago.  I'm green-beaned out.

+-SUPPORT US