Author Topic: US Thanksgiving!  (Read 2329 times)

Offline Rejaneration

• Passed on to another Brane
  • The Arbiter of Cool
Re: US Thanksgiving!
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2022, 07:46:39 AM »
Well, dinner was delicious. It was just four of us; my DH and I, plus DD and her BF.
The goose was FAB.  Far better than turkey.  I am a total convert.  I still have the neck - have to figure out what to do with it.
We stuffed it with apples, lemons, onions, rosemary, thyme  and parsley, then roasted for 3 hours. 
It was served with gravy, blackberry cranberry sauce 9so good!), green beans (not GBC!), mashed potatoes and some roasted potatoes (roasted with the goose). I also made my meat based (Portuguese style) dressing.
Spiced nuts for snacking too.
Dessert was a chocolate pecan pie.
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2022, 02:28:02 PM »
I made this, but cut the amount of maple syrup in half. I really liked them!

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/maple_glazed_yams_with_pecan_topping/

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2022, 05:18:54 PM »
Yay, Jan! I was nervous for you remembering a very fatty messy holiday Goose but my mom said it was actually a Capon.

We had a very traditional meal but yum. 20lb bird but with the 3 day dry brine, butter under skin, and spatchcock..delicious. Delicata squash, plain asparagus (weird addition because it had to be used), pear and spinach salad, mashed sweet and white potatoes (I didn't bother with either..we have too commonly at home), and oyster stuffing (so many oysters to pluck out .. soo good).

Amy, how were the brussels?

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2022, 03:58:40 PM »
I like to try out one new recipe every Thanksgiving.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1023511-roasted-brussels-sprouts-with-cinnamon-butter-yogurt-and-chestnuts?smid=ck-recipe-iOS-share

Everything I’ve made from Ottolenghi has not just been good, it’s been out of this world so I’m expecting to like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, how were they?

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2022, 05:52:29 PM »
Yes, how were they?

Unfortunately, I didn't get to try them when they were piping hot from the oven because I had to pick up a friend of mine who had a travel delay. Everyone tells me they were good, but I only got to eat the "warmed in the microwave" version and brussels don't microwave well.

Offline Rejaneration

• Passed on to another Brane
  • The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2022, 03:45:57 PM »
Yay, Jan! I was nervous for you remembering a very fatty messy holiday Goose but my mom said it was actually a Capon.

We had a very traditional meal but yum. 20lb bird but with the 3 day dry brine, butter under skin, and spatchcock..delicious. Delicata squash, plain asparagus (weird addition because it had to be used), pear and spinach salad, mashed sweet and white potatoes (I didn't bother with either..we have too commonly at home), and oyster stuffing (so many oysters to pluck out .. soo good).

Amy, how were the brussels?

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

Sounds wonderful.  When I make turkey, I always stuff a butter compound under the skins. Tastes great and is fun.   :D
I poured the goose fat off at the half way mark, saved it for later, but then added small potatoes to the bottom of the pan.  It wasn't so messy then!
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2022, 05:34:49 PM »
I converted to the Samin Nosrat buttermilk brine a few years ago and my dad declared that I am in charge of the turkey forevermore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+-SUPPORT US