Forum > Food

US Thanksgiving!

(1/6) > >>

Rejaneration:
Whatcha making?
I am thinking of doing something different.  Maybe a goose.  But, I have never cooked a goose before.
How easy is it? How does it compare to a turkey?

BonitaApplebum:
My MIL used to make one every xmas eve. It's not too hard -- IIRC the major difference is you want to prick the skin of the goose so that the fat runs out while you are roasting it. And you get a lot less meat.

I haven't thought too much about my Thanksgiving menu yet, thanks for starting the thread! We are hosting at the NY house. Really looking forward to it.

DocBuzzkill:
IIRC, there are Food CHers who have goose experience.  My DH attempted Julia Child's steam-roasted goose from The Way to Cook some years ago (we were still in Cambridge), and it was...disappointing.  I think he overcooked it.  The breast meat was weirdly springy and tough.  Similarly, my mother roasted one for Christmas once, and again, I remember it as being tough.

However, Julia's procedure for roast goose in Mastering the Art of French Cooking looks much better.  I found the video from The French Chef in which she roasts a goose per Mastering the Art.  I like that she recommends a goose no more than 9 pounds.  I think that was the issue with the birds my DH and my mom roasted in addition to overcooking: the bird was a bit too old.

The braising method looks good.  I'd go for apple and sausage stuffing rather than liver paté stuffed prunes.  ETA:  It looks like a LOT of work!

The French Chef, Season 2: Roast Goose

I'm not wild about roast turkey on its own (good for sandwiches though) so we usually roast a large chicken or a duck.  We discussed Thanksgiving dinner last weekend, and it will be fairly simple since I won't have the stamina to be on my feet for any long period in the kitchen.

Rejaneration:
Mmm, duck is the other option.  I have never roasted a duck either though.

witchypoo:
goose* is easy - I boil mine prior to roasting.
duck is easy, too. I line the roasting pan with day old bread to catch the drippings...and the resulting toast is usually eaten before I finish carving.

*all of your company should really dig dark meat, tho.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version