Author Topic: Hiii Golden God!  (Read 5447 times)

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
Re: Hiii Golden God!
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2022, 05:09:12 PM »
In other news…there’s a new Holey Moley I haven’t seen! But it’ll have to wait til I can access on demand on da road. Psych is at a somewhat tense point, and family consensus is to watch a Psych tonight.

Offline Golden God

• Turgid
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2022, 05:15:46 PM »
Again, though…are you thinking movie? When I reread it, I found the obligatory Mystical Old Black Dude really… out of step with the times.
Perhaps it was the time when I grew up, maybe it was a sheltered upbringing, but as a kid, I think I thought his characters spoke in, I don’t know, sophisticated (?) ways. Like, no 12-year-old has ever spoken like Jack from The Talisman. But when I was a precocious, insufferable 12-year-old, maybe I thought it’d be cool if 12-year-olds did talk like that.

Not the movie, though I did like the Kubrick film.

The Shining Novel. Dick Halloran was so bad that he was a Jar Jar Binks stereotype. But the rest of the book was good.

Jack in The Talisman is probably too advanced for his age. But the idea of a 12 year-old undertaking that kind of quest is out there as well.

I know you don't love horror novels, but you should try Ghost Story from Peter Straub the next time that you feel like reading that sort of book.

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2022, 05:29:27 PM »
Not the movie, though I did like the Kubrick film.

The Shining Novel. Dick Halloran was so bad that he was a Jar Jar Binks stereotype. But the rest of the book was good.

Jack in The Talisman is probably too advanced for his age. But the idea of a 12 year-old undertaking that kind of quest is out there as well.

I know you don't love horror novels, but you should try Ghost Story from Peter Straub the next time that you feel like reading that sort of book.
As the parent of a completely average 12-year-old…yup! For an exceptional 12-year-old, they’d never be able to leave their packed schedule of travel baseball/club soccer/competitive dance/chess grand mastery. If they did, they’d fall behind in their endless hustle to nowhere. Sorry, ma, gotta boogie to my practice; hope ya can drive me there and look for your talisman yourself! 23-Skidoo!

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2022, 05:34:22 PM »
Currently just started “The School for Good Mothers,” which is a horror story of a sort. But without suppurating wounds from which biting worms emerge.

Offline Golden God

• Turgid
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2022, 05:51:04 PM »
As the parent of a completely average 12-year-old…yup! For an exceptional 12-year-old, they’d never be able to leave their packed schedule of travel baseball/club soccer/competitive dance/chess grand mastery. If they did, they’d fall behind in their endless hustle to nowhere. Sorry, ma, gotta boogie to my practice; hope ya can drive me there and look for your talisman yourself! 23-Skidoo!
[/quot]

:D

This was 1981. Even advanced kids didn't have schedules that packed. That's a new trend thanks to anal retentive parents.

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2022, 05:57:18 PM »
[/quot]

This was 1981. Even advanced kids didn't have schedules that packed. That's a new trend thanks to anal retentive parents.
Wait..what?!?! I had no idea!!

Offline Golden God

• Turgid
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2022, 06:06:57 PM »
Wait..what?!?! I had no idea!!

There's a lot of things in The Talisman, like the Oatley Tap Room, that seem more like 1951 than 1981.

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2022, 06:23:31 PM »
There's a lot of things in The Talisman, like the Oatley Tap Room, that seem more like 1951 than 1981.
Oatley Tap was one of the more believable/timeless settings! Clearly, you live in bougie-ville and have never not lived in some variation thereof! :D

Offline Golden God

• Turgid
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2022, 06:59:39 PM »
Oatley Tap was one of the more believable/timeless settings! Clearly, you live in bougie-ville and have never not lived in some variation thereof! :D

It's a place where you bring a roll of quarters to feed into the jukebox as you drink one martini after another. You belly up to the bar and say howdy dooski.

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2022, 08:55:59 PM »
It's a place where you bring a roll of quarters to feed into the jukebox as you drink one martini after another. You belly up to the bar and say howdy dooski.
You’re drinkin martinis in a place like that, you’ll get your ass kicked halfway to Bethlehem and hope to god you can jig your way back from the Micmac burial ground. Know what I mean, jellybean? You hip to the jive, chum?

Offline Golden God

• Turgid
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2022, 09:48:48 PM »
You’re drinkin martinis in a place like that, you’ll get your ass kicked halfway to Bethlehem and hope to god you can jig your way back from the Micmac burial ground. Know what I mean, jellybean? You hip to the jive, chum?

:roll:

Be even better to drink the martini with a raised pinky.

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2022, 02:12:46 PM »
I’m travelin down the eastern seaboard via battery-powered mini-locomotive!

Offline Golden God

• Turgid
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2022, 02:46:49 PM »
I’m travelin down the eastern seaboard via battery-powered mini-locomotive!

Travelin Jivan!

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2022, 03:09:20 PM »
Travelin Jivan!
No Wolfs, but I might meet radial! :D

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2022, 07:20:18 PM »
No radial, but I must be in the Blasted slangs. As soon as I stepped out of the car, I smelled a paper mill. There’s no other smell on earth like “mill.” My kid was skeptical, but I confirmed with hotel staff: there is a paper mill in this town. Suppurating wounds and biting worms, here I come! :D

Offline Golden God

• Turgid
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2022, 07:53:18 PM »
No radial, but I must be in the Blasted slangs. As soon as I stepped out of the car, I smelled a paper mill. There’s no other smell on earth like “mill.” My kid was skeptical, but I confirmed with hotel staff: there is a paper mill in this town. Suppurating wounds and biting worms, here I come! :D

Aye, you're in the waste lands now, girlie!

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2022, 07:54:58 PM »
And a’ wi’ be well!

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2022, 05:46:02 PM »
In the land o wild-ass birds! Ibises taking over. Wood storks glaring balefully. Kites seeming to love the thunderstorms air. Limpkins just quietly stalking…plotting to overthrow the ibises.

Offline Golden God

• Turgid
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2022, 07:42:53 PM »
In the land o wild-ass birds! Ibises taking over. Wood storks glaring balefully. Kites seeming to love the thunderstorms air. Limpkins just quietly stalking…plotting to overthrow the ibises.

You'll see some feathered dinosaurs tomorrow.

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2022, 09:14:26 PM »
You'll see some feathered dinosaurs tomorrow.
I’ve been seein ‘em! If you’ve never watched a herd o ibis rumble around and pluck worms from a golf course, or looked a wood stork in its baleful eye, do you even live in FL? :D

My mom described watching limpkin bash snails on rocks and pull the escargot from the shells (and she has some snail shells from the lakes here—they’re almost baseball size!!!). It’s like that scene in The Talisman when Jack watched the gull eat a clam. :D

+-SUPPORT US