Author Topic: Pork shoulder—your go to recipes?  (Read 3156 times)

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
Pork shoulder—your go to recipes?
« on: March 28, 2022, 09:39:56 PM »
For some reason, every time it goes on sale, I buy a huge pork shoulder. Because it’s so cheap and I feel like there must be something really good I can do with it, but so far everything I’ve made has been ok, but not fantastic.

I assume I need slow cooker recipes, but anything you love would be great. At some point I need to clear out space in the freezer for more!

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
Re: Pork shoulder—your go to recipes?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 11:09:07 PM »
Set your oven to 200. Wrap it really well in foil and slather it with adobo, Sazon Goya, oregano and garlic – the proportions don't really much matter. Wrap it tightly and put it in and let it go overnight until you're ready to eat it. It is amazing.

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 06:54:07 AM »
Do you have a smoker?  That’s how we cook pork shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 12:15:50 PM »
I've never cooked a pork shoulder, but I would probably brine it overnight, marinate it another 4 hours or so, then smoke it.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline picote

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 01:19:19 PM »
Set your oven to 200. Wrap it really well in foil and slather it with adobo, Sazon Goya, oregano and garlic – the proportions don't really much matter. Wrap it tightly and put it in and let it go overnight until you're ready to eat it. It is amazing.

Oh this sounds good…

No smoker unfortunately. I have an instant pot and a slow cooker. And a LOT of pork shoulder  :roll:

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 03:10:10 PM »

I believe it.

this is a variation on a recipe I make - I usually add a bit of orange or lemon (whatever citrus you have lying around your kitchen)...  I haven't eaten pork in decades, but I trot this recipe out for family and it smells fantastic (and they swear it is tasty).

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 03:56:06 PM »
The DH has made a fabulous chile verde in our IP using pork shoulder.  Want me to ask him for the recipe?
Low and slow (like Sue and rocketgirl suggest) is the key for outside the IP, but the latter is great for other recipes.  Pretty sure he has a carnitas recipe using pork shouler that starts in the IP, then crisps the meat up either in the skillet or under the broiler.  Then...burritos and tacos, yay!

#notallprogressives

Offline ihop

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2022, 08:45:38 PM »
Slow cooker pork shoulder is delicious with lots of garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, chunks of onions and fresh orange juice. We shred it for bowls or tacos.

Offline ihop

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2022, 08:46:08 PM »
Yes and crisp it under the broiler!  Yum!

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2022, 08:48:01 PM »
The DH has made a fabulous chile verde in our IP using pork shoulder.  Want me to ask him for the recipe?
Low and slow (like Sue and rocketgirl suggest) is the key for outside the IP, but the latter is great for other recipes.  Pretty sure he has a carnitas recipe using pork shouler that starts in the IP, then crisps the meat up either in the skillet or under the broiler.  Then...burritos and tacos, yay!

Yes, please do!

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2022, 07:35:13 PM »
Yes and crisp it under the broiler!  Yum!

Carnitas!
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2022, 05:41:17 PM »
Slow cooker pork shoulder is delicious with lots of garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, chunks of onions and fresh orange juice. We shred it for bowls or tacos.

This is what i was going to say. We crisp it up to use in pork carnitas and quesadillas.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2022, 07:07:18 PM »
Three agrees that carnitas need crisping up under the broiler.  :)

#notallprogressives

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2022, 08:50:27 PM »
Yes, please do!

Here it is.  The original from the Boston Globe, November 2017, is on the stove top then braised in the oven, but this is adapted for the IP. The DH considers the charring peppers, etc. to be too fussy, so defaults to a bottle of Goya Recaito cooking base which he just dumps over the browned pork and onions in the IP.  Uh, I can tell the difference, so the one time I made it, I went for the fuss. I like the flavor of the charred peppers.

Kenji Lopez-Alt in Serious Eats just trims and seeds the peppers, cuts up fresh tomatillos, and adds unbrowned pork right to the IP.  He doesn't add any extra liquid since the tomatillos break down quickly and provide the liquid needed for the IP.  Probably fine for a 6 qt; with an 8 qt, I'd be nervous about not adding any liquid.

Looks easy, but as one commenter says, and I am inclined to think they may be right, the rapid prep means the flavor of the dish suffers. I may try Kenji's recipe at some point, but I refuse to NOT brown the pork!  :D

New Mexico-style roasted green chili, tomatillo, and pork stew

Makes about 2 quarts; serves 6

Poblano chilies, the backbone of this dish, are mild but occasionally pack more punch. Taste the  poblanos before deciding how much serrano to add. If the poblanos are mild, add 2 serranos, leaving the ribs and seeds in one half to give the dish a kick. This recipe doubles pretty easily.

Char the peppers either over gas flame on the stove top or under the broiler.  Keep an eye on them.  I don’t place them right under the broiler, but 8 inches away.

1½ pounds poblano peppers (about 8 medium), charred, peeled, seeded, and roughly chopped
1  pound cubanelle peppers (about 4 medium), charred, peeled, seeded, and roughly chopped
12  ounces fresh tomatillos, husked, halved, broiled until softened (about 10 minutes or less), and cooled
12  medium garlic cloves, peeled and broiled until blistered (about 10 minutes); this is optional.
1 to 3 large serrano chilies, halved and seeded if desired
4   pounds boneless pork shoulder/butt, trimmed, cut into 1½-inch chunks and patted dry with paper towels (about 3½ pounds prepped)
Salt and ground black pepper
4  or so  tablespoons vegetable oil (olive or safflower)
2   large onions, chopped
1 tablespoon pressed or grated garlic (about 5 large cloves)
1½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 tsp Mexican oregano
1   cup low-sodium chicken broth if using a 6 qt IP

Place the charred poblanos, cubanelles, tomatillos, serranos, blistered garlic (if using) and whole cilantro leaves in a bowl.  Set aside.

I brown the pork and onions in a skillet.  I don’t think the IP does a good job of searing meat. Plus it’s too small to spread out the meat for effective browning (Mailliard reaction).

Toss the pork with a tsp or so of salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper to coat. In a large skillet, heat 2T  of the oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add half the pork in a single layer (keep a little space between the pieces) and cook until browned, about 6 minutes, turning the pieces over once halfway through; transfer the pork to a medium bowl. Add another tablespoon of oil if needed to the skillet, and brown the remaining pork (adjusting the heat if the fond threatens to burn); transfer to the bowl with the first batch.

Adjust heat to medium, and add the remaining oil. Add the onions and ½ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally and scraping the bottom of the pot, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tablespoon of minced garlic, cumin, oregano and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 40 seconds. Add a splash of the chicken broth, adjust the heat to bring to a strong simmer, occasionally stirring and scraping the pot to dissolve the fond, about 2 minutes.

Scrape everything from the skillet and the reserved chilis, cilantro leaves, and chicken broth into the Instant Pot, seal, cook under high pressure for about 30 minutes, let pressure release naturally for 10 min then quick release. 

Fish out the pork chunks, then use an immersion blender to blend the sauce.  If the sauce is really runny, it will need to be reduced using the sauté function in the IP so that it thickens.  Allow time for that (at least 15 minutes or more at the medium sauté function), stirring often.

Adjust the seasoning with salt and black pepper if needed.  Return the pork chunks to the IP, and stir.

Serve hot, sprinkling with the chopped cilantro.

#notallprogressives

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2022, 08:54:00 PM »
Thanks, doc!

Offline picote

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2022, 12:32:13 PM »
Oh that looks great doc! Very similar to a chicken chili verde I make that we love.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2022, 09:17:11 PM »
Add lime juice and  sliced onions and then use the slow cooker all day. Shred, remove and crisp up in a cast iron skillet. Use it for tacos. We do this at least once a month.

Also check out bo Ssam recipes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

+-SUPPORT US