Author Topic: I bought mussels  (Read 3166 times)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
I bought mussels
« on: February 18, 2022, 08:33:11 PM »
and also have a package of herbs for mussels.

Now, how do I steam them?  I read some recipes. One says I have to clean the mussels and put them in a pot and cook for 5-6 min. with lid. Another one says add 8 oz. of white wine and cook for 5-6 min. with lid.  Also shake while cooking, apparently.

Anything I should know?

Online glwestcott

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
Re: I bought mussels
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 04:32:31 AM »
Mussels are great and very easy to cook with many variations. Cook some aromatics - shallots and garlic for example - in olive oil, add some thyme or another herb you like, then add some liquid, maybe some lemon juice and/or white wine or beer, a cup or so of water or chicken stock, add the mussels and cover and cook a few minutes until they open. You don’t really need to shake, but hey go for it if the feeling hits. You can add other things too - we sometimes add chorizo and toasted pasta to the pot with a bit more liquid and cook it to almost done then add the mussels. We’ve also put some cream in. It all seems to work. Chopped tomatoes work well too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 11:06:23 AM »
Mussels are great and very easy to cook with many variations. Cook some aromatics - shallots and garlic for example - in olive oil, add some thyme or another herb you like, then add some liquid, maybe some lemon juice and/or white wine or beer, a cup or so of water or chicken stock, add the mussels and cover and cook a few minutes until they open. You don’t really need to shake, but hey go for it if the feeling hits. You can add other things too - we sometimes add chorizo and toasted pasta to the pot with a bit more liquid and cook it to almost done then add the mussels. We’ve also put some cream in. It all seems to work. Chopped tomatoes work well too.

That sounds good. Am going to try tonight. Thanks

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 01:43:34 PM »
Rule of food safety thumb: if the mussel is open while uncooked, toss it. If it remains closed after steaming, toss it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 06:05:12 PM »
Rule of food safety thumb: if the mussel is open while uncooked, toss it. If it remains closed after steaming, toss it.

Thanks.

I actually ate a lot of mussels when I grew up in Europe, and whenever I go back, I have them.

The ones I had tonight were a disappointment. Quite small, compared to what I used to have in Europe.  :(  Not planning on having mussels again here.

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 09:34:38 AM »
I wish I was more proficient at making seafood/shellfish. I feel like it’s such an east coast thing. Growing up in the land locked Midwest we almost never had it. Now it’s just not in my repertoire.

Ice cream, I wonder where the mussels you had came from. I know some shellfish can vary dramatically depending on where in the us they’re from.

Offline Rejaneration

• Passed on to another Brane
  • The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 04:19:13 PM »
I like the smaller mussels. Ice Cream, are you up in the Boston area? We used to eat tons of mussels when visiting my grandma and they were large- about the same size as the ones I have had in Belgium.

When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2022, 06:30:28 PM »
I'm not very close to Boston, and NYC is a more convenient city for me to go to. Might very well be that I didn't get good ones. I got them at costco, on a whim. costco does seem to have good quality produce, so I gave the mussels a try. I must say, though, mussels are a culinary specialty in my region of origin.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2022, 08:29:20 PM »
I'm not very close to Boston, and NYC is a more convenient city for me to go to. Might very well be that I didn't get good ones. I got them at costco, on a whim. costco does seem to have good quality produce, so I gave the mussels a try. I must say, though, mussels are a culinary specialty in my region of origin.
I was kind of surprised you didn't know how to prepare them!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2022, 12:13:15 PM »
I was kind of surprised you didn't know how to prepare them!

My mother always did. I left home at 17, amd then the country a few years later. Whenever I go back, we go to restaurants to eat them.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2022, 12:42:56 PM »
Thanks.

I actually ate a lot of mussels when I grew up in Europe, and whenever I go back, I have them.

The ones I had tonight were a disappointment. Quite small, compared to what I used to have in Europe.  :(  Not planning on having mussels again here.

I think this is a bit like having a shitty tomato and saying you're not going to have tomatoes here anymore ;) With that said, we used to get mussels in the waters near my parents house (Cape Cod) just by getting the kayak. Those mussel beds are all gone and we only know one boater with a good supply (he won't tell us where he's finding them). We don't have a Costco membership and I've never been in one so might be wrong but its not a place I'd think you'd find good seafood?

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2022, 02:07:04 PM »
When Eliza was in fourth grade, they had a day where everyone was supposed to bring in food that their family enjoyed to share with the class, like a pot luck.

Eliza INSISTED on bringing mussels. I was like, honey, I'm not so sure that's going to fly with a bunch of nine year olds. But she was very sure that's what she wanted to bring. She made a big poster talking them up and everything.

I was class mom that year so I was in the classroom for the party. I'll be damned if those kids didn't finish off all two dozen mussels! I think almost everyone had at least one, and I don't think anyone but Eliza had had them before.

It's really funny what kids will eat if their parents aren't watching.

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2022, 04:03:57 PM »
I think this is a bit like having a shitty tomato and saying you're not going to have tomatoes here anymore ;) With that said, we used to get mussels in the waters near my parents house (Cape Cod) just by getting the kayak. Those mussel beds are all gone and we only know one boater with a good supply (he won't tell us where he's finding them). We don't have a Costco membership and I've never been in one so might be wrong but its not a place I'd think you'd find good seafood?

I think it's very regional. We get amazing Tuna from our costco. They get deliveries in Wed & Fri and you have to show up in the first couple of hours after they open to still get it. The also get in king crab during the season which is pretty good. 

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2022, 06:59:40 PM »

Costco quality is almost always good.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2022, 07:07:28 AM »
Costco quality is almost always good.

Looking at their other fish on the shelf, it seems that way to me.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2022, 12:57:38 PM »
and also have a package of herbs for mussels.

Now, how do I steam them?  I read some recipes. One says I have to clean the mussels and put them in a pot and cook for 5-6 min. with lid. Another one says add 8 oz. of white wine and cook for 5-6 min. with lid.  Also shake while cooking, apparently.

Anything I should know?

I am late to the party but: always shake them before cooking, anything that doesn't close up is dead... if it ends up in the pot, it might look like it opened even though it didn't. I actually squeeze each one shut prior when cleaning/sorting... if they don't close up tight in response to that pressure (like if you can squeeze them shut repeatedly, they don't hold themselves closed), they are already dead.

They will release a lot of their own juice, so you don't need a lot of liquid for steaming. I usually use a glass of white wine, a pat of butter, and a pile of tarragon as the steaming liquid. Bring to a boil, put the mussels in, let them go for 3 minutes, check to see if they are open, if not put the lid back on for a couple more minutes, etc. Six minutes sounds long to me, but I also prefer small mussels to large ones, so maybe it's just that.

Alternatively, do them dry on the grill. Clean them, toss them on a preheated grill, put the lid down, they are done when they are open.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 02:26:14 PM by caribougrrl »

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2022, 01:43:35 PM »
I like doing clams on the grill, too! Easy and so good.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2022, 02:27:50 PM »
If you have access to a mussel bed, they are also pretty good steamed in a bit of seawater and seaweed, over a fire right on the beach.

Online glwestcott

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2022, 06:59:07 PM »
If you have access to a mussel bed, they are also pretty good steamed in a bit of seawater and seaweed, over a fire right on the beach.
True with clams as well!

+-SUPPORT US