Author Topic: Low carb meals that are good  (Read 7090 times)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Low carb meals that are good
« on: December 29, 2021, 05:59:05 PM »
Okay, so I need to drop a little weight. Low carb works best for me. I can't pull off keto but I do well staying under 50g net carbs a day.

Problem is, I get low carb fatigue after a bit... none of my usual go-tos look good to me.

Instead of surrendering to the sweet, sweet carbs, I was thinking I'd start a thread to get fresh ideas for meals that are low in carbs.

So, what's good?

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
Re: Low carb meals that are good
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 08:48:53 PM »
The easy solution is subscribing to a prepared meal service that offers low carb options.  When I'm interested in losing weight I sign up with a service that delivers prepared meals you can heat up in the microwave for a couple of minutes and just dig in.  Portion size, macro distribution, and total calories are all taken care of for you.  No fuss no muss. 

The trick is finding a service that offers enough variety to keep you interested.  Prepared meal services with low carb options that I've used and liked include Factor (formerly Factor75), Territory, Trifecta, and Fresh n' Lean.

There are also low carb meal kit services where you get the ingredients for the meal but have to cook it yourself.  I guess that might be better for people who actually like to cook, I'm just not one of those people :).

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 08:53:10 PM »
That could work if I lived alone, but I need to feed a family of four, so it doesn't seem practical.

I can cook just fine, I'm just looking for a few new menu ideas to expand my options, really.

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 12:08:08 AM »
We do a lot of protein first dinners. Roasted salmon with lemon, butter and dill, seared tilapia with olives, cherry tomatoes and feta, crispy chicken thighs, shrimp linguini with the seaweed pasta, shrimp bake, seared scallops, seared tuna with cilantro lime and avocado, pork tenderloin, etc… We usually pair it with a pile of roasted veggies and a salad, which may put your carb count too high.

I do best with low carb too, but have probably managed to find the high carb versions of healthy. I haven’t actually plugged the meals into anything in a while.

These are my go to meals. All are good, but I need new ones. So bored.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 08:06:11 AM »
Thanks! I don't tend to cook a lot of seafood, that might be a nice way to shake things up.

What is seaweed pasta?

Offline picote

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 10:07:40 AM »
Thanks! I don't tend to cook a lot of seafood, that might be a nice way to shake things up.

What is seaweed pasta?

Seaweed pasta is disgusting. I’m not actually sure it’s made from seaweed, but that seems like a reasonable guess. But it has like 2 calories and if your sauce is flavorful enough you can almost forget it’s so disgusting and pretend it’s pasta. Just rinse it like crazy before you make it. It’s sold in the same place as tofu.

The upside of all of the above dishes is they take very little hands on time to make.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 12:50:18 PM »
That could work if I lived alone, but I need to feed a family of four, so it doesn't seem practical.

I can cook just fine, I'm just looking for a few new menu ideas to expand my options, really.
I know that a lot of friends who have used those mail order meals that you have to assemble and cook have used the knowledge gained from those meals to add to their cooking repertoire.  I assume those kits come in low carb and family size versions so that you could throw one in once every week or two just for something new and different - then if you like it, you know what to do next time.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 12:54:20 PM »
I know that a lot of friends who have used those mail order meals that you have to assemble and cook have used the knowledge gained from those meals to add to their cooking repertoire.  I assume those kits come in low carb and family size versions so that you could throw one in once every week or two just for something new and different - then if you like it, you know what to do next time.
Gotcha.

I am a pretty experienced cook, so those kits don't really appeal to me. I'm really just looking for inspiration and can take it from there.

Offline ihop

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2021, 12:54:31 PM »
Seaweed pasta is disgusting. I’m not actually sure it’s made from seaweed, but that seems like a reasonable guess. But it has like 2 calories and if your sauce is flavorful enough you can almost forget it’s so disgusting and pretend it’s pasta. Just rinse it like crazy before you make it. It’s sold in the same place as tofu.

The upside of all of the above dishes is they take very little hands on time to make.

This is a ringing endorsement!  I am going to run out to the store and look for it!   :roll:
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2021, 12:55:02 PM »

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2021, 12:56:42 PM »
This is a ringing endorsement!  I am going to run out to the store and look for it!   :roll:
I think I know what they are now, I've had them before. They really are not very good, but can kinda sorta scratch the noodle itch.

Offline picote

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2021, 01:07:12 PM »

Lol. I know!! But they do work for me in the scampi scenario. Still, I wouldn’t want anyone going into it thinking they were like pasta, because that’s setting yourself up for severe disappointment!

Offline picote

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2021, 01:09:08 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to post all of these! I will check them out.

The paprika recipe all makes it easy to post them! They are mostly super easy/low prep, which is why they’ve entered the regular rotation. We love them all. But I’m so, so bored. I swear all I want are carbs and sugar right now.

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2021, 04:21:05 PM »

Seriously.  Why not just spiralize zucchini or another squash?

Bonita, you said you do OK on 50 g net carbs.   What's your dietary source of fiber to get the "net" effect?

#notallprogressives

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2021, 06:52:47 PM »

Bonita, you said you do OK on 50 g net carbs.   What's your dietary source of fiber to get the "net" effect?
If I count carbs, I calculate net carbs as I go, factoring the fiber on an individual food basis. So, if I ate a food with 10g total carbs and 4 grams fiber, I'd log 6 net grams of carbs toward my 50 gram target for the day.

I could probably stand to eat more fiber in my diet. I don't do any fiber supplements or anything like that.

Offline picote

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2021, 07:28:21 PM »

I think these are better than squash as a noodle substitute. I like squash noodles, but as their own thing.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2021, 08:47:38 PM »
I need to give squash noodles another go.

I feel like the key in enjoying something like that is to go in with zero expectations.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2021, 10:07:52 PM »
I like squash as noodles with some things.  I can't eat them with all things.

Really like the miracle noodles that are shelf stable.  Not sure if that's the one you go for, picote.  The refrigerated shiratake noodles you find refrigerated in lots of liquid, notsomuch.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2021, 10:25:29 PM »
Yes! Shiratake! That's what the ones I'm thinking of are called.

I don't think I've tried Miracle.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2022, 11:59:12 AM »
Like you, I have no interest in the food kits either.  But, I know I am usually the odd one out on that. Food is kind of my thing - my creative outlet.

For low carb (which is try to adhere to), my go to's are:
Roasted salmon with a variety of toppings
Seared tuna on a bed of arugula (salad) with a drizzle of balsamic syrup
tacos with a corn tortilla - we are talking almost every day for lunch with a roasted chicken., but also with roasted veggies, and with cod or other fish
poke bowls but with greens, not rice.
meatballs - everyone else has the spaghetti.  I may take less than 1/4 cup.
chicken soup
butternut squash soup
veggie soup
So many soups - in the winter
Roasted meat (ie pork tenderloin, or loin) with salad
Air fryer chicken thighs with salad
Roasted veggies are almost always in my fridge
sautéed shrimp in garlic, olive oil and white wine. Keep tails on for more flavor. Served with salad.
spinach quiche without a crust
ceviche - esp in warmer weather
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2022, 12:22:19 PM »
Good list, Jan!

Air fryer chicken thighs are life!!!

I often do the thing where I just skip the spaghetti but eat the meatballs (or just have like half a cup) but it's dangerous territory... very difficult for me to eat just a little pasta.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2022, 12:49:17 PM »
If I count carbs, I calculate net carbs as I go, factoring the fiber on an individual food basis. So, if I ate a food with 10g total carbs and 4 grams fiber, I'd log 6 net grams of carbs toward my 50 gram target for the day.

I could probably stand to eat more fiber in my diet. I don't do any fiber supplements or anything like that.

Yep, I understand the concept of net carbs, i.e., accounting for fiber. 

I'm kinda surprised that there are so few beans and lentils as main courses in the suggested recipes.  Increasing those and other high fiber foods in my diet definitely helped me lose weight (20 pounds down since the end of August).

#notallprogressives

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2022, 01:01:06 PM »
I do like beans and lentils!! Especially now that I have an instant pot.

That's a great achievement Doc, good for you!!!

Offline picote

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2022, 04:39:18 PM »
Ok, tell me more about chicken thighs in the air fryer—I bought myself one and wrapped it under the tree. :D

We’ve so far used it for reheating fries (awesome) and broccoli, which turned out pretty dry. Next time I’ll do it for less time and maybe add water.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2022, 09:16:27 AM »

I'm kinda surprised that there are so few beans and lentils as main courses in the suggested recipes.  Increasing those and other high fiber foods in my diet definitely helped me lose weight (20 pounds down since the end of August).

Woot for you on the weight loss! I have been experiencing GI distress with beans lately so have minimized. Lentils are a bit easier.
Bonita, Shakshuka is also an option for you!

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2022, 09:20:19 AM »
Ok, tell me more about chicken thighs in the air fryer—I bought myself one and wrapped it under the tree. :D

We’ve so far used it for reheating fries (awesome) and broccoli, which turned out pretty dry. Next time I’ll do it for less time and maybe add water.
Some variation on this is what I do.
https://jenniferbanz.com/air-fryer-chicken-thighs

Super easy, but buy it with bone in and skin on.  Keeps it moist and the skin gets a bit crispy.
Same technique works for chicken wings.
Other things I love the air fryer for:
tiny potatoes - I really like the mixed bag with purple ones in it.
cauliflower
brussel sprouts
tofu
We tried fried pickles in it (good) and fried cheese (good, but in many the cheese melted out and we got a empty crust).
I used to do bacon in it, but it is just as easy on the cook top and less clean up.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2022, 09:38:11 AM »
Woot for you on the weight loss! I have been experiencing GI distress with beans lately so have minimized. Lentils are a bit easier.
Bonita, Shakshuka is also an option for you!

Thanks!  Still a few pounds to go to normal BMI, but  I've lost all the pandemic pounds, and I managed not to gain this past week while eating "forbidden" foods.

A major health scare in late August (elevated liver transaminases and serum ferritin, which are markers of liver inflammation = nonalcoholic fatty liver disease) motivated me to lose weight.  There's nothing more motivating than reminding myself, "If I don't do something about this, my liver's gonna kill me." :D   

#notallprogressives

Offline ihop

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2022, 12:09:29 PM »
We also love carrots and asparagus in the air fryer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2022, 02:34:15 PM »
I love all veggies in the air fryer, just need to be mindful of the temps and time to not overcook.  One of my faves is green beans drizzled with a little sesame oil.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2022, 06:49:02 PM »
We had venison blackstraps over a spinach and arugula salad tonight. Not for everyone, to be sure, but I thought it was so damn good!

Offline ihop

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2022, 07:45:55 PM »
That sounds delicious!

I need to add green beans to my air fryer rotation.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2022, 07:56:47 AM »

Beans and high fiber foods definitely. I also believe in volumetrics for maintaining weight. We eat lots and lots of soups.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2022, 02:42:37 PM »
I don't have specific low carb meals, but on the low-carb meal kit thing...a lot of those places actually post their recipes online. So you could just peruse their menus and find the recipe and do it yourself. Just for the inspiration.

Marley Spoon is Martha Stewart's one. I know the recipes are listed because I have looked at them. Same with Blue Apron and I think it was Hello Fresh. As I said, I haven't specifically looked into low- carb, but I know they offer some of those.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2022, 06:56:20 PM »
I don't have specific low carb meals, but on the low-carb meal kit thing...a lot of those places actually post their recipes online. So you could just peruse their menus and find the recipe and do it yourself. Just for the inspiration.

Marley Spoon is Martha Stewart's one. I know the recipes are listed because I have looked at them. Same with Blue Apron and I think it was Hello Fresh. As I said, I haven't specifically looked into low- carb, but I know they offer some of those.
That's an interesting idea. I can probably follow one or two of them on Instagram, and get a little inspiration.

I used to get a lot of ideas from magazines, but I don't read them anymore.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 06:58:08 PM by BonitaApplebum »

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2022, 08:35:46 AM »
That's an interesting idea. I can probably follow one or two of them on Instagram, and get a little inspiration.

I used to get a lot of ideas from magazines, but I don't read them anymore.

I still get Eating Well.  I gave up on Bon Appetite after over 20 years of subscribing - too many ads and too much 'what are the beautiful people eating' emphasis.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2022, 09:57:48 AM »
I still get Eating Well.  I gave up on Bon Appetite after over 20 years of subscribing - too many ads and too much 'what are the beautiful people eating' emphasis.
Yeah. All the paid content in magazines makes me nuts. I know they need to make a living and that's the revenue model, but it sucks for readers.

Offline picote

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2022, 10:52:03 AM »
I may look at Eating Well. I used to love cooking magazines, but at this point I’ve pared down to none. Cooks illustrated was the one exception for a while. I mainly use the internet to find recipes, but it’s not as good when you’re looking for inspiration.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2022, 12:12:27 PM »
I may look at Eating Well. I used to love cooking magazines, but at this point I’ve pared down to none. Cooks illustrated was the one exception for a while. I mainly use the internet to find recipes, but it’s not as good when you’re looking for inspiration.
Yeah I still enjoy cook's illustrated (paid content is pretty minimal and it's not too heavy handed) but I don't subscribe anymore.

I used to be a big fan of the epicurious website but they ruined it with all the ads. Now I subscribe to NYT cooking, which is pretty decent.

Offline ihop

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2022, 12:36:42 PM »
NYT cooking is good. I still get Food&Wine but the content can be annoying.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2022, 12:38:18 PM »
Ooo, crustless quiche (frittata) is good.  I don't low carb about anything, but it's still nice to not depend on whether you have crust in the fridge or freezer.

I've actually never done a meal kit, but a lot of my friends do it to break a rut.  If they really like something, they'll cook it from scratch in the future.

I'm a superfan of grilled salmon on a salad.  I should probalby branch out from the Tony Chachere's, and do some other seasoning, but I just love it so much.  I have also used potlatch seasoning and even burger seasoning, both of which are good, but I really like the contrast of spicy salmon with a cool salad.

Also, although I'd have it on a bun, if you do the burger without a bun thing, a nice change is Moroccan seasoning and a little goat cheese on your burger patty. 
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2022, 04:35:27 PM »
I just found out NYT cooking is free through the local library.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2022, 11:29:43 PM »

Is it made with konjac? I actually like konjac and I can tell you it goes right through so can't add any calories. But my family would never. It's something I eat when my husband is out and the kids are in bed.

We just do 1 protein, 1 salad, 1 veg, and 1 carb most night and the kids eat the carb (sometimes my DH). We undo low carb by eating dessert and drinking but that's not the point.

Tonight was hoisin marinated chicken thighs (braised over a bed of browned onions), regular green salad, beets (didn't fit the theme but they were already roasted), and rice. But, do you mean low carb like hoisin marinade and beets would be no go? If so, maybe a oil and vinegar marinade and broccoli instead?

Shrimp in red sauce over spaghetti squash is a favorite here. Will make some pasta for kids sometimes or sometimes not.

Grilled shrimp, raw kale salad, roasted cauliflower, and sweet potatoes were Monday.

Last night was salmon, sauteed kale (loads of garlic and onion), carrot slices with baba, and kids had fingerling potatoes.

Steak, sauteed spinach, salad, polenta. (We eat a lot of the same boring salad ... butter lettuce or other greens, bell pepper, cucumber, cherry tomato. But sometimes arugula, grapefruit and either a nut or sharp cheese with homemade dressing. Or .. dark greens, blue cheese, roasted nuts, and craisins but that's not low carb or low cal).

I think lots of interesting veg dish are the key so you don't miss the carbs too much. And, I generally doubt that you can overeat veg but if really trying to cut back we do focus on greens over winter squash and beets.

It does seem my kids are more fart filled than other kids but everything in life has trade offs!!

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2022, 11:20:59 AM »
Woot! I'll have to try that.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2022, 09:07:06 AM »
what?!?! i pay for it!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2022, 01:58:25 PM »

I don't come into these threads very often, but I am glad I just did. I did just pay for a year subscription for the cooking part of NYTs for a year (it was only $20), but just learned that yes, I can access the NYT for free through my library. Score!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2022, 04:17:37 PM »
I don't come into these threads very often, but I am glad I just did. I did just pay for a year subscription for the cooking part of NYTs for a year (it was only $20), but just learned that yes, I can access the NYT for free through my library. Score!

Cool, glad I could help you.

+-SUPPORT US