Author Topic: Good vegetable recipes  (Read 60138 times)

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Good vegetable recipes
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2017, 09:38:12 AM »
I just put that on my list.

Good!  It is a great cookbook!
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline ihop

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2017, 09:40:23 AM »
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2017, 10:05:53 AM »
Lots and lots of food!!! Yesterday I had chickpea scramble with avocado for breakfast, lentil soup for lunch, taco salad with refried beans for dinner. I do not chose to not eat soy but I just do not seem to eat much of it since we eat mostly beans for protein--- lentils (brown, green and red!), black beans, kidney beans, chickpeas, white beans, northern beans, aduki beans, etc. There is no lack of variety either. The other day i made a sweet potato black bean hash with an egg on top for lunch. Once I stopped eating grains I had to let up on the no eggs a bit but even that i do not eat many, though with the IP we do keep a lot of hardboiled eggs on taps for food emergencies :D

So...beans? :D

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2017, 10:09:00 AM »
So...beans? :D
Yes but there are dozens of varieties and preparations, so it is not boring or tiresome or repetitive. Vegetarian cooking is so much more exciting than the food I grew up on.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2017, 10:13:42 AM »
Yes but there are dozens of varieties and preparations, so it is not boring or tiresome or repetitive. Vegetarian cooking is so much more exciting than the food I grew up on.

I know, I eat a lot of vegetarian meals. It's just...no, never mind, I risk sounding judgmental, and I really don't mean to be. Sorry.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2017, 10:23:18 AM »
I know, I eat a lot of vegetarian meals. It's just...no, never mind, I risk sounding judgmental, and I really don't mean to be. Sorry.
It's ok, you have made your thoughts on my diet over the past few years clear and I take no offense. My health has never been better and it sucks that I have an autoimmune issue and a growing list of food allergies and sensitivities, but that I can control it with diet and not medications is really a good thing and since I love to cook and experiment, I have rarely felt limited or lacking in what i eat. But people like to judge and luckily my health and how I feel is most important and I am secure enough to not let the critics bother me or get in my way of health.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2017, 11:47:30 AM »
Tasty! It was tasty!

:roll:

Could have been nasty!!

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2017, 11:49:38 AM »
It's ok, you have made your thoughts on my diet over the past few years clear and I take no offense. My health has never been better and it sucks that I have an autoimmune issue and a growing list of food allergies and sensitivities, but that I can control it with diet and not medications is really a good thing and since I love to cook and experiment, I have rarely felt limited or lacking in what i eat. But people like to judge and luckily my health and how I feel is most important and I am secure enough to not let the critics bother me or get in my way of health.

I have? I mean, I know I'm not a big fan of the Instant Pot (or soy products)... ;)

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2017, 12:43:31 PM »
I don't know how you eat so many beans. Theye tear up my  insides unless I eat them very sparingly but my husband won't touch any of them so we don't eat many anyway.

I would make the worst vegan.  :D

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2017, 12:48:10 PM »
Barry turned me on to this and it's awesome. Crack Broccoli. Just roasted broccoli finished with roasted almonds, lemon juice and zest and Italian cheese. I subbed parm cause I have it. I cut the oil a bit. She has other good recipes.
http://www.abeautifulplate.com/roasted-broccoli-toasted-almonds-lemon-pecorino-cheese/

I am of the camp if you don't like what I am making, fend for yourself and more leftovers for me.

Of course, I am single so it doesn't really matter :)

Hmmm.  I wonder if that would be good with pine nuts.  I don't really like almonds.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2017, 12:48:39 PM »
I don't know how you eat so many beans. Theye tear up my  insides unless I eat them very sparingly but my husband won't touch any of them so we don't eat many anyway.

I'm the same way as you, which is why it bums me out when people judge other people's diets (because I understand that people have different reactions to food.) I love falafel and hummus, but I bloat up and get a stomach ache.

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2017, 01:13:38 PM »
MM - back to the original topic. My veggie consumption is pretty poor. After christmas I had some extra peppers and carrots so I chopped them up and brought them to work in a container. I've been eating them every day for the last few days and I have to say, the crunchiness is helping my need for a satisfying snack.

I also made this over Christmas  - zucchini bites that I found on pinterest. I made another batch the other night since I still had a zuc and the rest of the ingredients.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/399976010640867827/

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2017, 01:16:08 PM »

I am always surprised when people say they have trouble digesting beans... but then I eat a lot of beans, so I suspect my gut is used to them.  I wonder if you ate a lot of beans if you would eventually stop having an adverse reaction... but under the circumstances I don't see any reason to go through the pain of testing the theory...

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2017, 01:21:51 PM »
I am always surprised when people say they have trouble digesting beans... but then I eat a lot of beans, so I suspect my gut is used to them.  I wonder if you ate a lot of beans if you would eventually stop having an adverse reaction... but under the circumstances I don't see any reason to go through the pain of testing the theory...
This. I wonder if years (decades) of being vegetarian toughened up my tummy? I was never prone to stomach aches or tummy woes in my life though, I know many are. I used to have run of the mill stomach aches every afternoon and thought it was because i often ate a large salad for lunch every day, but turned out it was gluten. Not in 100 years would I have made the connection because i consumed very little gluten in my diet.

Last night i made roasted carrots and mushrooms with thyme. Over 450F, sliced the carrots on a diaganal about 1/2 inch, tossed in very little olive oil and thyme, roasted for 15 minutes, tossed sliced mushrooms in EVOO and thyme and added to sheet pan and roasted 10-15 minutes more. It was really tasty. I also salted everything when it went on the sheet pan. I find roasting vegetables just makes them that much tastier-- even radishes!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2017, 01:22:20 PM »
Oh! Roasted cabbage is really good too! I like to slice it into a big round, spray with a little oil, salt it and a little smoked paprika and roast it. YUM!

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2017, 01:23:01 PM »

Having tested that theory, no, it doesn't get better.  :nono: I like beans quite a bit, but I do have to limit my intake because of the bloated gassy stuff that results.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2017, 01:51:15 PM »
Having tested that theory, no, it doesn't get better.  :nono: I like beans quite a bit, but I do have to limit my intake because of the bloated gassy stuff that results.

interesting... I wonder if it's a genetic thing or something else... my working hypothesis had to do with gut bacteria because those colonies can change and evolve pretty quickly

somewhat related, my lebanese friend believes that as long as you eat the fermented version of anything you eat (if you drink milk, eat yogurt and cheese; if you eat cabbage, also eat sauerkraut; if you eat beans, be sure to eat fermented/sprouted beans too)... she thinks refrigeration is what makes n. americans unhealthy, we don't let our food age before eating it

everyone has a theory!

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2017, 01:59:22 PM »
Oh! Roasted cabbage is really good too! I like to slice it into a big round, spray with a little oil, salt it and a little smoked paprika and roast it. YUM!

I forget how much I love cabbage all the time and then am so happy when I remember. All seasons too. Slaw in summer, red cabbage with apples, vinegar, some honey and wintery spices (cinnamon, some clove) slow cooked for winter, roasted, sauteed. A way long time ago when I kept myself on the too thin side of thin, I lived on cabbage ... it can be super filling even though mostly fiber. Now I don't want to live on it, of course, but need to remember to make it more. And my kids see our nanny eat it every time she's dieting so think it's a super exciting grown up food ;)

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2017, 02:20:54 PM »

I used to eat them. The issues appeared around the same time as the soy issues. I really think the turning point for my gut was a nasty intestinal illness I got in Chile in 2010.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2017, 02:23:36 PM »
Beano works, guys! The only side effect is that it's a little pricey.

My son got me a spiro slicer for Christmas, so I picked up a library book called The Spiralized Kitchen. We had the Zucchini Pasta with Puttanesca Sauce last night and it was pretty good. I'm looking forward to trying more recipes. They're creative.

+-SUPPORT US