Author Topic: flat feet and barefoot running  (Read 22942 times)

Offline Virginia Plain

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
flat feet and barefoot running
« on: April 28, 2015, 02:58:47 PM »
I've had knee pain for year and recently started having back pain.  Saw a chiropractor and he did a scan of my feet showing that my arches have completely collapsed.  He suggested orthotics and a couple more adjustments and I should be right as rain.

I just spoke to a very good friend of mine who's a massage therapist and literally read medical journals for fun.  He also read Born to Run and was singing the praises of barefoot running.  So, HE told me to forget the orthotics and claims that I could repair my arches w/barefoot running. 

DH used to run in minimus but doesn't anymore and I was very anti barefoot running.  I'm pretty sure DH quit using them b/c he was having back pain. 

I'm curious.  Anyone have any input? 
Then, it's just the ol' squat, catch and pitch...--Makeda

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
Re: flat feet and barefoot running
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 03:02:17 PM »
Never in a million years would I run barefoot.

Belgian Lace

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 03:06:18 PM »

...or listen to someone without medical training tell me I could repair my arches.

siamesedream

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 03:07:45 PM »

Offline Fionn mac Cumhail

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 03:07:46 PM »
I'm a maximalist when it comes to shoes...Hoka, baby...

IN BEFORE THE LOCK

Offline Virginia Plain

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 03:15:04 PM »
I'm a maximalist when it comes to shoes...Hoka, baby...

IN BEFORE THE LOCK

Yeah, me too.  Not quite Hoka but total stability. 

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 03:15:08 PM »

I don't even walk barefoot outside the shower.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Virginia Plain

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 03:16:57 PM »

I don't even walk barefoot outside the shower.

I'm barefoot all the time outside of work and running.

Offline Clb

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
  • Fully indoctrinated
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 03:24:16 PM »
McDougall's take on barefoot running was pretty in-depth into the science behind it, how running barefoot causes us to adjust our stride, placement, etc in response to the foot sensitivity. Basically, if it hurts don't  land like that. But he also ends up saying barefoot running isn't  practical for most of us, but maybe letting our current running shoes wear down more in between replacements is.
I can't  do his descriptions justice but you might really appreciate reading those chapters again, assumimg you've read the book before.
He also describes how his arches improved the more he ran as the foot muscles got stronger and recreated the arch shape. Again, his narrative is better than my summary.
You're such a softie, CLB     - Cool Foot Luke

If we are all so awful why are you still here? - Sue

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 03:25:44 PM »
I think the fad is going more towards maximalist these days. I am pretty sure vibram got sued over their claims re: barefoot running and I've heard pts and orthos say they saw a lot of stress fractures in the feet due to barefoot running. So, YMMV, but not a direction I'd personally go.

Offline Virginia Plain

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 03:27:06 PM »
McDougall's take on barefoot running was pretty in-depth into the science behind it, how running barefoot causes us to adjust our stride, placement, etc in response to the foot sensitivity. Basically, if it hurts don't  land like that. But he also ends up saying barefoot running isn't  practical for most of us, but maybe letting our current running shoes wear down more in between replacements is.
I can't  do his descriptions justice but you might really appreciate reading those chapters again, assumimg you've read the book before.
He also describes how his arches improved the more he ran as the foot muscles got stronger and recreated the arch shape. Again, his narrative is better than my summary.

Yeah, that's pretty much the conversation I just had w/my massage pal.  I was just curious if anyone had any actual experince w/it. 

Either way, it motivated me to see an actual foot doctor before jumping into orthotics from the chiropractor.  So, I'm doing that on Tuesday.

Offline Virginia Plain

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 03:27:51 PM »
I think the fad is going more towards maximalist these days. I am pretty sure vibram got sued over their claims re: barefoot running and I've heard pts and orthos say they saw a lot of stress fractures in the feet due to barefoot running. So, YMMV, but not a direction I'd personally go.

That's right, there was a class action against them

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 03:29:07 PM »
Not relative to the OP, but I have very fond childhood memories of sneaking out on a private golf course at night and running barefoot... man, that lush grass... it felt great! 

Still in before the lock!!!  :moon:
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline Trotter

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 03:30:18 PM »
I like minimalist footwear. At least the no-stability stuff; cushioning is a different story (so I like Hoka too). The stability shoes I used to wear drive me nuts now.

But I don't have flat feet. If I did & were looking to run without overpronation-induced pain, I'd do the orthotics thing in a heartbeat. Particularly if I were already partial to stability shoes.

Fuck those arch-repairing dirty-footed hippies.

siamesedream

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 03:32:18 PM »
I've run barefoot on the beach, but I would never do it on any other surface.

Offline MoCo

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
  • la la la
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 03:34:29 PM »
I'm partial to minimal-but-cushioned (I wear Altras).  I did run in FF for a while... but I'm not a teeny lady and it was not doing me long term good.  It did teach me how not to be a thuddy heel pounder and to be more aware of where I put my feet.

I'd say your best bet is to see a really good physical therapist for a movement screen and a second opinion.  Podiatrists make money on orthotics, and most of them only look at feet and ankles, but you need to consider the entire movement chain since a small change to the way your feet interface with the ground could wreak havoc all the way up your body.

I prefer thoughtful, long form written journalism.   Or memes.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 03:37:29 PM »
That said, I'd also take what the chiro said with a grain of salt. A foot scan? A couple of adjustments? For fallen arches?  :skep: I'd probably go see a good ortho before investing much in the chiro thing.

Offline Virginia Plain

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 03:39:58 PM »
I'm partial to minimal-but-cushioned (I wear Altras).  I did run in FF for a while... but I'm not a teeny lady and it was not doing me long term good.  It did teach me how not to be a thuddy heel pounder and to be more aware of where I put my feet.

I'd say your best bet is to see a really good physical therapist for a movement screen and a second opinion.  Podiatrists make money on orthotics, and most of them only look at feet and ankles, but you need to consider the entire movement chain since a small change to the way your feet interface with the ground could wreak havoc all the way up your body.

I've seen 2 physical therapist, one is the husband of Vicky Huber.  Neither of them picked up on my flat arches.

Offline HobbyJogger

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 03:40:17 PM »
Assuming that barefoot running was a great strategy, couldn't you get the same or better results with targeted exercises to do the same thing? Specifically, strengthenand improve recruitment of some stabilizer muscles.
Radical Jogger

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 03:47:16 PM »
I've seen 2 physical therapist, one is the husband of Vicky Huber.  Neither of them picked up on my flat arches.

But, it's possible the flat arches aren't the issue the chiro is suggesting.

I've tried going the chiro + manual manipulation with my last two injuries. In both cases the (sports medicine focused) chiro had the wrong diagnosis or gave me bad advice. When I went to an actual dr with actual medical training they got me on the path to recovery.

I'm not sure I'd look to a PT for diagnostics. Though the one I'm working with currently definitely knew just how to fix me up!

Assuming that barefoot running was a great strategy, couldn't you get the same or better results with targeted exercises to do the same thing? Specifically, strengthenand improve recruitment of some stabilizer muscles.

This is exactly what my pt consisted of. Progressively challenging stabilizer muscles, fixing imbalances, and working on strengthening specific areas of weakness.

+-SUPPORT US