Author Topic: Libby's pumpkin pie  (Read 5516 times)

Offline cindyleigh

• The Runners
Libby's pumpkin pie
« on: November 19, 2016, 10:51:52 PM »
I love this pumpkin pie.  I have never made ...nor , I think, tasted a pumpkin pie made from scratch.

years ago I grew sugar pie pumpkins, but we ate them broiled (like you would butternut squash).

Who has actually made a pumpkin pie from scratch.  Is it really all that?  How hard is it to make? 

Offline Bylo Selheigh

• Help me, I'm melting....
Re: Libby's pumpkin pie
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 11:06:58 PM »
DW is a great pie maker but our few attempts at using fresh pumpkin all have been a disaster.
Watery, weird colors and flavors - Ugh.

Tip:
Use the Libby's can recipe but substitute half-and-half for the Nestle's Carnation condensed milk.
The original Libby's can recipe called for half-and-half _until_ Libby's was bought out by Nestles in 1976.
Then the recipe was changed for the worse shortly after that - simply to to sell more Nestle's canned milk.   

Offline Ergonomic Mouse

• NTTAWWT
  • Behind the Redwood Curtain
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 11:16:39 PM »
I always make them from scratch. But I use kabocha squash rather than pumpkin. It is thicker flesh and has a nuttier flavor.  I also tend to use less sugar (about half of what is called for) and add more nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and allspice. I  use evaporated milk because condensed milk is way too sweet for us!
Pumpkin is usually watery.. when I use them I find I need more egg. Mostly I use pumpkin for breads and muffins.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 11:20:09 PM by Ergonomic Mouse »

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 11:17:43 PM »
I've never cooked down fresh pumpkin for a pie.  I use the Libby's can recipe but increase the spices by 25% or even a bit more.  For crust, I like half butter, half shortening.  http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/perfect_pie_crust/

Offline cindyleigh

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 11:31:13 PM »
I've never cooked down fresh pumpkin for a pie.  I use the Libby's can recipe but increase the spices by 25% or even a bit more.  For crust, I like half butter, half shortening.  http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/perfect_pie_crust/

You MAKE your crust?  I buy the pre-made Safeway brand crusts.  I can never make a pie crust ...I always mess up on the "cut the butter into the flour" part.

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 11:33:24 PM »
You MAKE your crust?  I buy the pre-made Safeway brand crusts.  I can never make a pie crust ...I always mess up on the "cut the butter into the flour" part.

I like the food processor method in the recipe I linked.  Get your butter really cold before you start, and don't overwork the dough.  The delicious results are worth it if you have the time.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 11:57:22 PM »
I think it was on npr...but apparently libbys pumpkins are a special strain closer to butternut squash than pumpkin. I use sweet potato if i am not using canned pumpkin. 

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 03:44:26 AM »
I think it was on npr...but apparently libbys pumpkins are a special strain closer to butternut squash than pumpkin. I use sweet potato if i am not using canned pumpkin. 
Crookneck I believe!

I always make from scratch, easy and delicious! Including crust. Not hard and not too time consuming. A graham cracker crust is forgiving.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 08:01:48 AM »
I think you can consider your pie from scratch even if you use canned pumpkin. 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 08:07:46 AM »
For some reason, pumpkin flavor always sounds attractive when Fall is here, but I can't say I really care for pumpkin flavor.

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 10:52:36 AM »
I think you can consider your pie from scratch even if you use canned pumpkin. 

Yes.

This year I cooked a galeux d'eysines for pumpkin recipes. I have cooked a carving pumpkin, sugar pumpkin and other heirloom pumpkins as well. It's more work to do that, but I have time to mess with then. Fresh pumpkin is watery so you have strain the cooked pumpkin and I use a food mill to remove all the stringy stuff. 

I like to buy different pumpkins and our local pumpkin patch sells ~20 different varieties of pumpkins plus a bunch of different squashes too. The differences are very subtle in most cases, but I have a goal to try all the varieties they sell.

My mom made pies with both canned and fresh pumpkin. To me the only differences were the fresh pumpkin pies were lighter, both in color and texture. I presume the lighter texture is because canned pumpkin is quite dense.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2016, 10:55:47 AM »
When you use fresh pumpkin (any varietal) for a pie (or cheesecake or crème brulee), cut it in half and bake it until soft.  Then, strain, strain and strain.  I have used cheesecloth and that has been effective.  Get it as dry as possible.  You can just let it sit for awhile.  That gets rid of the wateriness.
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 11:20:14 AM »

I use a similar recipe. The food processor makes it so easy.
After all, one rarely boils a penis before insertion. - nnej

I routinely smash mirrors while walking underneath ladders just to fuck with the cosmos. - ZiggyStardust

Offline ihop

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 08:50:31 PM »
Food processor crust is super easy. And we will make pumpkin pie using canned pumpkin. Yum!
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

+-SUPPORT US