Forum > The Fruit Stand (Photography)

family portrait questions

(1/4) > >>

Eco Ellen:
I have a family of nine, spanning in age from one to 60+, and they have hired me to take their photos at their home and/or at the beach and/or some other location of our choosing.  We're going back and forth on questions and dates and they've asked me my advice on color and clothing.

What are some good things to consider for this?  They will probably change into different outfits once so we have two sets of photos with different clothes.

TIA.

omega lambda:
I am not a big fan of matchy clothing, but if they are suggest a color scheme, like tan/khaki pants and blue shirts, or everyone in blue jeans/blue pants and white shirts, etc.  I usually tell my clients that it isn't necessary to match, but it is necessary to not clash and to avoid the following:

1.  Colors should be similar and not opposites; i.e. if everyone is wearing something dark, then one person shouldn't wear white, or red, or some wild print.  They eye will naturally gravitate to that person and the rest of the photo will be ignored.

2.  No wild prints, stripes or lettering.  I tell my clients that the focus should be their faces, not their clothing.  The only exception is if the lettered clothing is meaningful to them in some way - like a football jersey or something like that.  But I also tell them to limit the number of photos taken with that clothing.  Also stress the no stripes as they can (most often do) create a moire effect and it is annoying as hell.  It can be corrected in photoshop, but it is a pita.

3.  In a large group, with a color scheme, some prints are fine, but they should be subtle so as not to attract the eye.  I tell them to opt for texture instead, if they can. 

So in general, I think like colored clothing (dark pants, or light pants but not a mix) works really well with a color scheme for the shirts (blues and greens, blacks and grays, browns and tans, etc.)

Eco Ellen:
Thanks so much!  this is very helpful.

diablita:
This is helpful for me, too.  We're taking family pictures at the Arboretum tomorrow.   :d

Eco Ellen:

--- Quote from: diablita on October 09, 2012, 07:27:36 PM ---This is helpful for me, too.  We're taking family pictures at the Arboretum tomorrow.   :d

--- End quote ---

I can't wait to see all of you in khakis and blue shirts.  :fingers:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version