Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Food / Re: Lemony Fish Stew
« Last post by picote on April 15, 2024, 11:37:03 PM »
Oh, the barley soup looks great! I need ways to use up all my kale!  :D
Running / Re: Monday April 15th
« Last post by Loco Coyote on April 15, 2024, 06:40:22 PM »
following yesterday's nearly hole-digging semi-debacle, a recover day with 30 minutes on the spin bike while watching the marathon and 4.3 mile run on soft trails today.
Running / Monday April 15th
« Last post by Fast Eddie on April 15, 2024, 01:31:30 PM »
Beautiful Spring Monday. 11.3K.
Running / Re: Sunday April 14th
« Last post by Loco Coyote on April 15, 2024, 09:11:18 AM »
I did an insane double yesterday.

AM 9.8 miles with an 8 mile progression from marathon pace to maybe 20K race effort (goal was 15K pace but I couldn't hit that until the very end). Toward the end I stopped for about 20 seconds because a snake was on the trail, and had to stop and think red touches black good for jack (opposed to red touches yellow kill a fellow). It was a scarlet king snake (non-poisonous). But WTF? In Colorado? These are native to the SE United States. Someone must have let it go and it's trying to survive here.

Then in the afternoon (hot 80 degrees) I did 6.5 miles with a 5K tempo followed by 7X 1 minute hill reps. Oops. That 5K was supposed to be moderate (80-90% of marathon pace), not 80-90% of 5K pace. So I overdid it and got in an inadvertent double-threshold workout (all the rage if you follow elite distance running/the Norwegian system).
Running / Sunday April 14th
« Last post by Fast Eddie on April 14, 2024, 08:46:36 PM »
Worked a morning 5K/10K race set up. Rained during the set up, but for fortunately it stopped just in time for the first race to start, and we dried out pretty much by race end.

Packed up my stuff, drove home, made lunch, took a nap, and then went out for my run. Still glorious out, sunny and 65°F for 23.1K.
« Last post by BonitaApplebum on April 13, 2024, 05:00:47 PM »
Yum that sounds awesome!!
Running / Re: Friday April 12th
« Last post by glwestcott on April 13, 2024, 04:39:05 PM »
3 miles on a 56° partly sunny day.
« Last post by Rejaneration on April 13, 2024, 01:34:37 PM »
OOOH, we did a barley with dill that was phenomenal.  Let me go look for the recipe.  It was NYT.
Anyway, definitely a keeper! It had the consistency of a risotto.

Lemony Pearl Barley Soup
By Hetty Lui McKinnon
Published Feb. 22, 2024
Lemony Pearl Barley Soup
Linda Xiao for The New York Times. Food Stylist: Monica Pierini.
Total Time
45 minutes
Prep Time
10 minutes
Cook Time
35 minutes
Rating
(1,126)
Notes
Read 180 community notes
High in comfort, low in fuss, this pearl barley soup answers the question of what to cook when one doesn’t feel like cooking. Made with pantry staples, this simple soup beams with vibrancy. Lemon transforms this hearty soup into a dish that also feels light and restorative, while dill, used generously, reinforces the citrus flavor while bringing an assertive herbaceous edge. Other herbs could step in for dill; consider parsley, cilantro or chives. Spinach is added right at the end, after the heat is turned off, which ensures that the greens maintain a little bite and stay bright. The soup will thicken over time, so if you are making it ahead or have leftovers, simply loosen it up with more stock or water when reheating.

INGREDIENTS
Yield:
4 servings
Extra-virgin olive oil
1yellow onion, finely diced
2garlic cloves, finely chopped
2celery stalks, thinly sliced
1cup chopped fresh dill leaves and stalks
Salt (preferably sea salt) and black pepper
1cup/6 ounces pearl barley
6cups vegetable stock
3 to 4tablespoons lemon juice (from 1 large lemon), plus extra wedges to serve
2ounces baby spinach
Greek yogurt, coconut yogurt or crème fraîche, to serve

PREPARATION

Step 1
Heat a large pot over medium-high. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil along with the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic, celery, half the dill and ½ teaspoon salt and stir until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
Step 2
Add the pearl barley and stock and bring to the boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the barley is swollen and tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
Step 3
Turn off the heat. Add the lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Taste and make sure the seasonings are to your liking, adjusting salt and lemon as needed.
Step 4
Stir in the spinach, allowing the residual heat to wilt the leaves.
Step 5
Ladle the soup into bowls. Top with a dollop of yogurt and the remaining dill and drizzle generously with olive oil.
« Last post by BonitaApplebum on April 13, 2024, 11:10:11 AM »
Yay a food post!!!

This looks yummy. I'm having a "spring dinner" next weekend and having a few guests for the first time since we moved. Maybe I'll add this to the menu.

Before this I was contemplating some sort of risotto with maybe lemon, mushroom, asparagus....
Food / Lemony Fish Stew
« Last post by Rejaneration on April 13, 2024, 09:15:46 AM »
Delicious and easy.  I recommend upping the dill. It tasted like Spring.
https://www.dimitrasdishes.com/lemony-cod-potato-stew/
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10

+-SUPPORT US