Author Topic: Suddenly  (Read 5602 times)

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
Suddenly
« on: October 12, 2015, 11:19:27 AM »
If I suddenly become a college football fan because our local team is having a great year that's kind of lame, right?

siamesedream

Re: Suddenly
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 11:37:31 AM »
I don't think it's lame.

Offline McTortle

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 11:39:58 AM »
Nope.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 01:09:50 PM »
'Cause now's your chance to stop me before I change my avatar orange and start posting about Dabo.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 01:32:32 PM »
Close enough.

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 10:23:10 AM »
Not lame.
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline buzzy

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 11:58:12 AM »
Depends who you ask.

Me... No, I do not think it's lame.  This is how people become fans.  Usually it's a hop on the bandwagon that will increase the fan base, but then the question is whether you stick with them through thick and thin.  If not, that is the definition of fair weather fan.  Some may also state the victories are that much more delicious if you have been through the bad times with the team.  I believe this too.  Growing up a Patriots fan in the 70s, 80s, and 90s when they won their first Super Bowl it was certainly surreal that the this same team with the same trashy stadium are actually the champs.  I was also a Red Sox fan.  Any lifelong Sox fan will tell you that them winning was a lot more than just the win.

So in summary, enjoy your local team.  Maybe you will stick with them.  By the by, you do not have to watch every single game to be a fan, though I do for the Pats (there are just 16, plus play-offs so I do DVR).

Of course this is just my opinion.  Yours may vary.

--buzz

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 02:42:10 PM »
I'm pretty sure this is permanent. There are two big schools in SC and I've stayed out of the rivalry for the 28 years I lived here -- even when I took a couple of graduate courses through Clemson. But last year DS1 enrolled and I suddenly started caring. This year both boys are connected with the school and I can't help cheering. I guess its even more cool that they're having a great year.

Offline buzzy

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 04:21:57 PM »
I'm pretty sure this is permanent. There are two big schools in SC and I've stayed out of the rivalry for the 28 years I lived here -- even when I took a couple of graduate courses through Clemson. But last year DS1 enrolled and I suddenly started caring. This year both boys are connected with the school and I can't help cheering. I guess its even more cool that they're having a great year.

That's another way people hop upon the college football band wagon.  Attending (or family attending) the school.  Seems like it would stick if it's going to be your kids alma mater.

--buzz

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 08:58:33 AM »
58-0.

#3 in AP poll and #6 in coaches poll. Clemson was number six in the coaches poll last week, too. Why would they not move up a step? I don't think I understand exactly how the polls work.

[gebuh]Please for to enlighten me.[/gebuh]

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 11:34:41 AM »
Because Miami is awful, and beating the snot out of them is no big deal [although, that WAS an awful lot of snot-beating]

Agreed. I think the commentators said they were missing two offensive backs. And then their QB went out. I did not realize how weak they were.

So why the big discrepancy in the AP and the coaches' poll? Number 3 feels really good but there has to be a reason for the difference of opinion.

Offline buzzy

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 04:06:51 PM »
I always thought the coach's poll was stupid.  Conflict of interest for the poll to mean anything.  Coach (or AD) may mark a team lower or higher so that it benefits their team.  Also, the coaches look at their team, and the teams they play, not much more.  They have a job to do.

Ultimately polls mean nothing at this stage.  It no longer matters like it used to when the polls determined the championship.  I don't know if the playoff committee looks at the polls or not though.

--buzz

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 01:32:48 PM »
That makes sense. I read Clemson' Athletic Director is on the playoff committee and will probably have to recuse himself. I'm not sure if that means just from the Clemson vote or from the committee entirely.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 01:34:26 PM »
 :panic:

+-SUPPORT US