Author Topic: I want to try making bread  (Read 8880 times)

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
I want to try making bread
« on: February 18, 2013, 03:17:09 PM »
I have never made it before and I don't have a breadmaker. Direct me to some good whole wheat or whole grain recipes please!

Offline all-smiles

• The Runners
Re: I want to try making bread
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 03:50:33 PM »
What kind of bread do you want and what texture do you like? Ever done the artisan bread in 5 minutes?
Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and a insurrection.
- Mark Twain

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 04:43:02 PM »
kingarthurflour.com

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 04:54:45 PM »
I made a great rosemary bread, it is on my pinterest. Or i can link it when not on phone
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 07:05:27 PM »
What kind of bread do you want and what texture do you like? Ever done the artisan bread in 5 minutes?

I like a bread with a lot of texture but not dense. I currently buy a sprouted wheat with flax seed bread...the flax seeds are not ground.

I have only ever made quick bread.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 07:05:50 PM »
I made a great rosemary bread, it is on my pinterest. Or i can link it when not on phone

I actually cannot stand rosemary.  :(

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 10:54:50 AM »
Wait...do I need special flour?

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 11:13:43 AM »
If you want whole wheat bread, you will need to buy some wheat gluten otherwise it will be very dense.  My mom and sister are big bread makers, and they use half whole wheat flour and half white flour.  I do not possess their bread making skills, and the only recipe I have makes five loaves.  If nobody else posts a recipe today I will check with her and have her cut it down to two loaves for you, and you can make it in your Kitchenaid. 

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 11:15:16 AM »
I usually bake all my desserts with half while wheat and half white so I can handle that.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 11:28:32 AM »
Ok, then you probably don't need wheat gluten.  I will see if I can get the recipe from her, but it won't be until tonight.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 12:09:04 PM »
if you've never made bread before, I would suggest starting with a plain white loaf... add texture on subsequent tries because you want to first learn how to feel the dough

any basic bread recipe will do... warm water, some sort of sugar, yeast, flour, salt

some tips:

do not use boiling water, tap-hot is hot enough, any hotter you may kill the yeast (you probably have a much more precise idea of what is too hot for yeast, but that's my rule)

stir the flour into the liquid a little bit at at time (but start with a whole cup) and stir and stir and stir... this develops the gluten... eventually you will see the dough pull away from the sides but it will look like it's attached to the bowl by strings (that's the gluten!)

when kneading, don't fight the dough, just fold and push... never mind the time it tells you for kneading in the recipe (not bad as a guideline, but it will vary quite day to day, recipe to recipe), you want to learn to feel the dough... it's done when a thumbprint disappears fairly quickly (dough springs back) and the surface feels soft and smooth... think baby's bottom, or what we like to think a baby's bottom feels like

Offline monster2

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 02:29:27 PM »
I want to make bread too but I am askeered, I am a horrible baker.  The five minute quick bread gave me two different sets of bread that resembled rocks.....

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 02:32:02 PM »
You can buy bread flour or use AP flour with 1tbs of vital wheat gluten per cup of flour.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 03:05:55 PM »
That so called 5 min. bread is really not 5 min.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 03:23:45 PM »
if you've never made bread before, I would suggest starting with a plain white loaf... add texture on subsequent tries because you want to first learn how to feel the dough

any basic bread recipe will do... warm water, some sort of sugar, yeast, flour, salt

some tips:

do not use boiling water, tap-hot is hot enough, any hotter you may kill the yeast (you probably have a much more precise idea of what is too hot for yeast, but that's my rule)

stir the flour into the liquid a little bit at at time (but start with a whole cup) and stir and stir and stir... this develops the gluten... eventually you will see the dough pull away from the sides but it will look like it's attached to the bowl by strings (that's the gluten!)

when kneading, don't fight the dough, just fold and push... never mind the time it tells you for kneading in the recipe (not bad as a guideline, but it will vary quite day to day, recipe to recipe), you want to learn to feel the dough... it's done when a thumbprint disappears fairly quickly (dough springs back) and the surface feels soft and smooth... think baby's bottom, or what we like to think a baby's bottom feels like

Is wheat really that much harder because I don't eat white bread.

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 03:43:25 PM »

Yes, in my experience. 

If you've never baked with yeast before, I'd really try some white bread first.  Home made white bread is like 80000000000x better than any store bought stuff, IMHO. 

I baked a whole wheat beer bread that was really good, but my other attempts at wheat bread were only so-so.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 04:29:03 PM »

It is a little more touchy, I think. 

I wish I was going to be home soon.  I would tell you to bring your mixer over to my mom's house and have her give us both a bread making tutorial. 

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 04:36:17 PM »
It is a little more touchy, I think. 

I wish I was going to be home soon.  I would tell you to bring your mixer over to my mom's house and have her give us both a bread making tutorial. 

I was going to joke that your mom should just come give me lessons.  :D

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 04:38:02 PM »
I was going to joke that your mom should just come give me lessons.  :D

She actually probably would, if you were interested.  But it might be a bit awkward to sit with her for a few hours while the bread rises.  She is very entertaining though, I'm sure you'd have a good time.  If my nephews are there, they are also very entertaining.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 06:09:56 PM »
check out Martha Stewart's site as well as King Arthur flour's site. Martha, I listen to her show on Martha Radio, where people call in with questions and she is always answering bread questions and referring to her site.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 06:40:58 PM »
That so called 5 min. bread is really not 5 min.

:D

agreed.

+-SUPPORT US