Author Topic: Food Log Thread: What are you eating today?  (Read 24323 times)

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
Re: Food Log Thread: What are you eating today?
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 12:14:09 PM »
Alrighty, then...

Breakfast - coffee w/half & half, honey wheat English muffin with peanut butter - this is my standard breakfast, forever. I use 1 tbsp of peanut butter and it's the perfect amount. Today I also had an unsweetened applesauce cup because I was still a little hungry.

Lunch - about to make a tuna sandwich, in a pocket. Arnold makes these nice soft pockets and they are not too big and not too small. I like them better than the sandwich thins, because they are softer. I'll probably have carrot sticks and string cheese with it. Maybe some wheat thins crackers, because I like those with the cheese. I might also have a few chocolately Goldfish, because I usually enjoy a little bite of something sweet after a meal.

Not sure yet about dinner...I have leftovers to choose from: roasted chicken with a bunch of different veggies, or beef & veggie chili (no beans). We'll see what I feel like when I get home.

I don't snack much but I have a long drive later, so I might bring a small baggie of pistachios. Salty and satisfying, plus shelling them takes time so it cuts down on the potential for mindless shoveling.  :D And of course, plenty of DFW. I don't drink soda, so with most meals I have some seltzer with lemon.
This space for rent.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 12:14:27 PM »
And then i have a mystery body. Eat too much gain weight, eat too little maybe lose, not much grey in between. I have played with trying every amount of calories consumed and the only way my body loses weight is with lower calories. My running coach, years ago, when i first worked with her put me on a low carb diet for 3 months and i lost 2 lbs total. The only time i lost a lot of weight was when i was doing macrobiotics, but i spent 3 hours a day cooking, really not an option and i try to stick to those principals, but it just does not seem to make a difference.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline LizardMixture

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 12:20:36 PM »
OK here goes. Maybe you guys can help me figure out why I always seem to be starving lately.

Breakfast: Wheat Chex with soymilk and protein powder. Carrot/strawberry/apple juice (from my new juicer!!)
was starving so I had another bowl of cereal w/soymilk & powder. Also coffee.

Lunch: Thinking salad with chicken and a roll.

Snack: Wheat thins and cheese, another veggie/fruit juice.

Dinner: Probably chicken enchiladas w/ a side salad.

Ex: Walk away the pounds for 30 min with 5lb weights.

Snack: probably nut bar, maybe juice.

I do the WAPT thing every day with my Mom. It seems like I've been STARVING since I added the 5lb weights. I'm hoping it's not the juice (blood sugar?) since I'm trying to eat more veggies and this really helps.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 12:40:04 PM »
juicing will give you nutrients but it takes out all the fiber which would keep you feeling fuller.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline LizardMixture

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 12:47:04 PM »
juicing will give you nutrients but it takes out all the fiber which would keep you feeling fuller.

I think I should be ok on fiber since I'm juicing in addition to eating what I would eat normally, just trying to improve the overall picture. So it's not one of those juice fasts  :nono:

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 12:51:44 PM »
I think I should be ok on fiber since I'm juicing in addition to eating what I would eat normally, just trying to improve the overall picture. So it's not one of those juice fasts  :nono:
i know, but juicing will leave you hungry vs eating all those veggies in a salad, etc.

Offline MiniDriver

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 01:09:31 PM »
When I enter calories in my fitnesspal or other calorie counters, I'm certain it is an underestimate.   I have no idea of the exact serving size and exact amount of each ingredient in each serving.  So I guestimate portions and hope for the best.  I assume my actual calories are 3-500 calories higher than the calorie counter suggests.  Sometimes I do the total number of calories in the recipe and divide by number of servings, but even that's inexact. 

Lizard, what's your water intake?
#minidriverisagenius

Shut up mini. Just because google changed it, doesn't mean in elementary school, we got it wrong.

She's an awful, awful human being.

I tend to trust Mini on these issues
Mini is so smart!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 01:11:19 PM »
I use the spark people recipe calculator.

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 01:12:24 PM »
This does not look like a butt load of food at all!  You're losing steadily because it's healthful and appropriately sized for your activity level.

Brutal honesty here:   Sometimes threads like this bother me because it seems like at times it's a "who ate the least" contest.   And that's not healthy and it's not sustainable.  Not eating enough to fuel your workouts or just your regular day is pretty much just setting yourself to fall into old habits. 

I like the accountability and motivation of threads, but I hope this one doesn't turn into a "I only ate 1200 calories today and ran 4 miles!" thing.

I agree, and I also don't like the whole "I was bad and ate X" mentality. 

I probably should just bow out now, this is triggering for me. 

Offline debbatx

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 01:22:02 PM »

Yeah - it's interesting to read, but since I'm not trying to lose right now, it's stressing me out and making me want to go buy a binge. One question, though, for MoS - do you actually weigh out the 3 oz of turkey or whatever? If so, how - do you use a kitchen scale or preportioned stuff, or what?
"The moral of this story, Jamers, is time goes poof, so don't let anyone mess with what time you have." - RioG

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 01:25:41 PM »
Yeah - it's interesting to read, but since I'm not trying to lose right now, it's stressing me out and making me want to go buy a binge. One question, though, for MoS - do you actually weigh out the 3 oz of turkey or whatever? If so, how - do you use a kitchen scale or preportioned stuff, or what?

I do weigh my protein if I am home and able because I have a problem with portion control.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 01:27:09 PM »

Yeah.. Iknow what you mean...

Offline debbatx

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 01:35:04 PM »
So, a kitchen scale, then? Thanks! I'll have to investigate options in that area. I suspect my portions will be an issue post-baby.
"The moral of this story, Jamers, is time goes poof, so don't let anyone mess with what time you have." - RioG

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013, 01:38:55 PM »

Well if it makes you feel better, I had an Egg McMuffin, a large Diet Coke, and a rice krispy treat for breakfast today.  I don't feel bad about it.  (well, maybe the soda, but I also drank 1/2 of my liter water bottle before I drank it).  I haven't decided yet what I'm having for lunch, but there will probably be another rice krispy treat.   I eat sweets every day and don't feel guilty.  I haven't been as good on my produce intake as of late, which I should do better on, but I still don't feel overly guilty about it.  Life's too short.

signed, nadra24 RD

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2013, 01:39:26 PM »
So, a kitchen scale, then? Thanks! I'll have to investigate options in that area. I suspect my portions will be an issue post-baby.

I got one at target.. it was not expensive but a little nicer than the cheap ones I always bought.. I think I paid about $20 for it.. It's digital and easy and it has like a round glass plate... It's cinchy to use and I just leave it out.. I only weight my protein... I pretty much eat as much veggies and salad as I want.. I guesstimate but I don't think eating 3.5 cups vs 3 cups of salad is going to kill me!

Offline debbatx

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2013, 01:40:21 PM »
Awesome, thanks!! Yeah, I don't worry too much about produce, either.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2013, 01:44:08 PM »

I have a kitchen scale I bought at Target for like $20.  I find it especially useful for making sure my protein portions are large enough when I am counting calories. I weigh a lot of stuff that most people would probably use measuring cups for, because I think it's easier to just spoon stuff like yogurt into a bowl and weigh it than it is to clean out a measuring cup. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2013, 01:45:06 PM »
I have a digital kitchen scale as well.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2013, 02:39:15 PM »

I'm curious what about this thread is triggering for you? I don't see anyone doing the "I eat the least" or "I ate x and was bad" thing here. I see that a lot in the other thread... (and am certainly guilty of it myself sometimes) but not here.

Offline LizardMixture

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2013, 02:52:39 PM »
i know, but juicing will leave you hungry vs eating all those veggies in a salad, etc.

Ok will add more actual veggies.

Lizard, what's your water intake?

I feel like I sip tons of water throughout the day. Maybe not enough. But good lord I already have to pee constantly!

+-SUPPORT US