Author Topic: Thanksgiving!  (Read 25777 times)

Offline ecodork

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster
Re: Thanksgiving!
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 03:59:28 PM »
Being a vegetarian, the only thing I really care about are the mashed potatoes. :D

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2012, 04:53:54 PM »
Being a vegetarian, the only thing I really care about are the mashed potatoes. :D
too bad you don't live closer to come to the vegan restaurant :D Already drooling. They had a mashed potato platter shaped like a turkey with tofu skin and eyes made out of olives and a carrot beak, i was about to take a pic but then a guy came and scooped the head off :D
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2012, 06:40:46 PM »

What about dressing and sweet potatoes and pie??
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2012, 07:37:40 PM »
sweet potatoes are not vegetarian when you throw marshmellows on top and my mother just could not understand that  :grr: Stuffing (dressing, right?) is not vegetarian if cooked in the bird or with chicken stock, but i always make my own cause i like it crispy on top :)
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2012, 07:41:50 PM »
sweet potatoes are not vegetarian when you throw marshmellows on top and my mother just could not understand that  :grr: Stuffing (dressing, right?) is not vegetarian if cooked in the bird or with chicken stock, but i always make my own cause i like it crispy on top :)

Well I meant those things cooked with veg products. Can you make dressing with veg broth?

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2012, 08:17:55 PM »
you definitely can, MG
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
Thanksgiving!
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2012, 08:47:02 PM »
I have made an amazing vegetarian stuffing (not cooked in the bird obviously). And I love to make savory roasted sweet potatoes and onions - no marshmallows required. Plus, green bean casserole is vegetarian!
This space for rent.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2012, 09:51:22 PM »
I am in charge of the vegetable and the pie this year.  My parents are coming out to Utah and my sister is making dinner.  My mom broke her elbow 7 weeks ago and still has really limited mobility, so she can't help.  My sister is making the turkey, stuffing, yams and apples, and rolls.  She'll probably have my dad do the mashed potatoes, and he is always in charge of our family's traditional pomegranate salad. 

I'm making chocolate cream pie and a blueberry pie for kenyan.  Not sure what I'll do for a veggie.  I'd love to do roasted brussels sprouts, but I kind of think I'm the only person who will like that.  Any suggestions?

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2012, 07:36:43 AM »
Is that the one with cream cheese? I think I made something like that and OMG they were good!!

It probably is... it's been around a while and it freezes well and it's great!

I'll do that, some kind of sweet potato recipe that will freeze, and the dressing I make freezes well uncooked. 

I'll use my favorite felons recipe for green beans... except I throw a lot of garlic in with the shallots...

http://www.marthastewart.com/317075/green-beans-with-shallots-and-breadcrumb

And I'll make somebody else bring a corn dish.   :)

Looks like I'm feeding around 20 people.   :panic:
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2012, 07:37:31 AM »
And I love to make savory roasted sweet potatoes and onions -

Care to share?   :)
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2012, 07:53:54 AM »
Well I meant those things cooked with veg products. Can you make dressing with veg broth?
yes!!!!!! but a traditional meal won't cause it's cooked in the bird. my mother is a nasty woman, we all know this by now. my last Thanksgiving (first one and only DH came to my house) with them, my mother went out of her way to make EVERYTHING not vegetarian except asparagus. I had been vegetarian for 10 years at that point. Even when we do Xmas with my friends, they do a 7 fishes dinner and always have veg options for us.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2012, 07:59:41 AM »
Care to share?   :)

Sure - cut up some sweet potatoes & vidalia onions into good-sized chunks. Toss with olive oil. Put on sheet pan or casserole dish - single layer is best for optimum browning. Sprinkle liberally with salt, pepper, garlic, whatever floats your boat. Roast in oven until brown and delicious. Easy!  :d
This space for rent.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2012, 08:20:28 AM »
i am pretty sure any vegetable roasted is divine.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 08:25:03 AM »
yes!!!!!! but a traditional meal won't cause it's cooked in the bird. my mother is a nasty woman, we all know this by now. my last Thanksgiving (first one and only DH came to my house) with them, my mother went out of her way to make EVERYTHING not vegetarian except asparagus. I had been vegetarian for 10 years at that point. Even when we do Xmas with my friends, they do a 7 fishes dinner and always have veg options for us.

Goodness, that's not nice. About 4 years ago we were in Tampa during Thanksgiving. DH's dad was stationed there. They had something like retired officers would invite current officers to their home for dinner. We went to these people's house and they were so lovely, and there wasn't a pork dish in sight. She also said she made sure not to cook with pork or put bacon in anything.

And I think the stuffing cooked inside the turkey is gross. I don't like anything that's been stuffed into a turkey or whole chicken. It looks pretty but I can't eat it.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 08:25:38 AM »
It probably is... it's been around a while and it freezes well and it's great!

I'll do that, some kind of sweet potato recipe that will freeze, and the dressing I make freezes well uncooked. 

I'll use my favorite felons recipe for green beans... except I throw a lot of garlic in with the shallots...

http://www.marthastewart.com/317075/green-beans-with-shallots-and-breadcrumb

And I'll make somebody else bring a corn dish.   :)

Looks like I'm feeding around 20 people.   :panic:

You can freeze mashed potatoes?

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2012, 08:26:04 AM »
Yeah, you can pretty much just insert any root vegetable or most other vegetables into that equation and it is delicious. I have roasted cauliflower, broccoli, summer squash & zucchini, carrots, Brussels sprouts...you name it. Yum-O. The trick is matching up the the size and cooking time if you are mixing vegetables - some things take longer than others, but cutting them up smaller helps.
This space for rent.

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2012, 08:32:59 AM »
Sure - cut up some sweet potatoes & vidalia onions into good-sized chunks. Toss with olive oil. Put on sheet pan or casserole dish - single layer is best for optimum browning. Sprinkle liberally with salt, pepper, garlic, whatever floats your boat. Roast in oven until brown and delicious. Easy!  :d

Thanks!

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2012, 08:35:01 AM »
You can freeze mashed potatoes?

Yeah, and they're very good!

I used something like this, except I don't use butter. 

http://beautyandbedlam.com/make-ahead-mashed-potatoes-freezer-mashed-potatoes/

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2012, 08:41:45 AM »
this is a kinda ingredient heavy recipe (if you do not have these ingredients) but i love this broccoli, i never use that much broccoli, because more marinade on the roasted broccoli, the better :) You could probably alter this with just soy sauce, oil and maple syrup. I use water instead of oil  :sneaking:

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2010/10/roasted-cheezy-broccoli-over-golden.html

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2012, 09:46:03 AM »
this is a kinda ingredient heavy recipe (if you do not have these ingredients) but i love this broccoli, i never use that much broccoli, because more marinade on the roasted broccoli, the better :) You could probably alter this with just soy sauce, oil and maple syrup. I use water instead of oil  :sneaking:

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2010/10/roasted-cheezy-broccoli-over-golden.html

Are the yeast flakes there for flavor or something else? 

+-SUPPORT US