Author Topic: Soup season!  (Read 13015 times)

Offline triciaflower

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
Re: Soup season!
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 11:09:46 AM »
I'm thinking of making butternut squash soup to bring to Thanksgiving. Anyone have a successful recipe to share? I'd like to do a few test runs.

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 04:35:34 PM »
I revisited the lentil soup again. This time I didn't have greens to stir in at the end, and didn't have an extra beer to throw in, but I used a bit more salt, which seems to have given it some addictive properties.

Offline ecodork

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 07:54:55 PM »
recipe please?

Spinach Avgolemono Soup  (from 1000 Vegetarian Recipes)

Makes: 4 cups; serves: 4 to 6

3 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup white rice
3 cups lightly packed spinach leaves, chopped into bite-size pieces
2 eggs
2 tablespoons fresh lemon

1. in a 2-quart saucepan, bring the broth to a boil. Add rice; return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes. Add the spinach and simmer 5 minutes longer

2. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs. Beat in the lemon juice. Beating constantly add 2 cups of the hot broth. Whisk the egg mixture into the remaining soup. Reheat if necessary, but do not boil.

** Be sure the soup isn't boiling when you add the eggs or else you'll end up with egg drop soup.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 07:56:52 PM by ecodork »

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 08:05:39 PM »
Sounds delicious, thank you!  I actually think I may have that book. :)
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline ecodork

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 09:44:36 PM »
Sounds delicious, thank you!  I actually think I may have that book. :)

The roasted garlic soup in that book is also quite tasty!

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 11:09:21 PM »
I made chicken noodle soup tonight with homemade egg noodles.  Boiled the chicken with celery, carrots, onion, and fresh parsley.  After an hour, I pulled out the chicken, pulled the meat off the bones, and put the bones back in to simmer for 2 more hours.  I strained the broth, added back the chicken, and added more carrots and celery.  I brought it to a boil, let the veggies cook for about 10 minutes, and added the noodles.  It is super good.  Here's my noodle recipe:

1 egg
3/4 tsp salt
1-2 Tb milk
1 c flour

Whisk together egg, salt, and milk.  Stir in flour.  Knead until a smooth ball forms.  Let sit for about 15 minutes, then roll out dough as thinly as possible.  Use a pizza cutter to cut into strips as thin as you can make them, and about 2 inches long.  Let dry up to two hours.  Add noodles to boiling soup, sprinkling in a few at a time so they don't lump together into one big ball.  Cook until done, how long it takes depends on how dry they are.  I think I cooked mine for 15 minutes tonight, but they weren't really very dry at all. 

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 09:29:15 AM »
I made chicken noodle soup tonight with homemade egg noodles.  Boiled the chicken with celery, carrots, onion, and fresh parsley.  After an hour, I pulled out the chicken, pulled the meat off the bones, and put the bones back in to simmer for 2 more hours.  I strained the broth, added back the chicken, and added more carrots and celery.  I brought it to a boil, let the veggies cook for about 10 minutes, and added the noodles.  It is super good.  Here's my noodle recipe:

1 egg
3/4 tsp salt
1-2 Tb milk
1 c flour

Whisk together egg, salt, and milk.  Stir in flour.  Knead until a smooth ball forms.  Let sit for about 15 minutes, then roll out dough as thinly as possible.  Use a pizza cutter to cut into strips as thin as you can make them, and about 2 inches long.  Let dry up to two hours.  Add noodles to boiling soup, sprinkling in a few at a time so they don't lump together into one big ball.  Cook until done, how long it takes depends on how dry they are.  I think I cooked mine for 15 minutes tonight, but they weren't really very dry at all. 

I bet that was awesome!
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline triciaflower

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 10:24:17 PM »
I made butternut squash soup using this recipe:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/classic-butternut-squash-soup

It was delicious! I'm sure it will be even better tomorrow. It's what's for lunch.

Offline triciaflower

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2012, 08:08:15 PM »
It was even better the second day. Over the top delicious when I added cayenne pepper to it.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2012, 08:26:51 PM »
that does sound like a good addition!
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline MikoftheWat

• The Runners
Neglected girls shouldn't worry, it's what god made Sailors for.

They call them Aviators in the Navy.  They say they're better than pilots.
-Tom Wolfe

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2012, 08:49:40 PM »
I made a Steak and Black Bean soup last night.  I haven't used a recipe in awhile so I'll try to get it as close as possible.

1 lb london broil, cut into 3/4" cubes
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium green or red pepper, diced
1 tbsp garlic, minced
3-4 cans of black beans, drained
2 cups beef broth
1 tbsp fresh or dried oregano
1 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp cooking sherry
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 or 2 chopped fresh cayenne pepper

Saute onions pepper in oil, add meat and garlic.  Cook meat until browned.  Dump into crock pot along with all other ingredients, cook on low for 5-8 hours.

+-SUPPORT US