Author Topic: Dairy free pancakes  (Read 2412 times)

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
Dairy free pancakes
« on: August 25, 2019, 01:13:44 AM »
What is it that makes pancakes nice and brown?? The best results I get are from a box pancake mix and buttermilk. Since Adam can't have dairy anymore i've been making pancakes with almond milk. I have a non-stick griddle so I don't ever butter it. The pancakes are not fluffy or brown. They're super light. I guess that's not a problem but they just don't look as good.
Anyone have a good recipe for fluffy dairy free pancakes??
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
Re: Dairy free pancakes
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 01:14:43 PM »
You can simulate buttermilk with 1 TB plain vinegar to 1 cup of almond milk. Also - add a bit more of a leavening ingredient (baking powder or baking soda).

ETA: Does Adam have a dairy allergy or is he lactose intolerant? If the latter, could you substitute with lactose free milk?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 01:21:22 PM by Chasing Amy »

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 02:15:58 PM »
my sister separates her eggs and whips the whites (soft peaks) and folds that into the batter to help with lift

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 11:16:37 AM »
Thanks!

You can simulate buttermilk with 1 TB plain vinegar to 1 cup of almond milk. Also - add a bit more of a leavening ingredient (baking powder or baking soda).

ETA: Does Adam have a dairy allergy or is he lactose intolerant? If the latter, could you substitute with lactose free milk?

Actually just got his bloodwork results back today and it says negative for milk allergy. I can’t believe it the way he vomits everytime he has any dairy.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 06:35:48 PM »
you need an acid and a base to get fluffy pancakes - so, buttermilk and baking powder.  sub vinegar or lemon juice + dairy-free milk for the buttermilk.
browning is either from caramelization or maillard reaction - add a bit of sugar to the batter.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 05:41:54 PM »
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

+-SUPPORT US