Author Topic: Super Easy Veggie BBQ Options?  (Read 5650 times)

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
Super Easy Veggie BBQ Options?
« on: August 16, 2019, 10:15:40 PM »
We once again over invited for DD's b-day and were planning on getting trays of BBQ from a local place. As I'm looking at the RSVP list, I'm realizing we have a bunch of families coming who will likely be vegetarian. Any super easy suggestions (or things that would be easy to pick up) that won't feel like a mediocre alternative for the kids? I'm realizing, this is why every b-day party does pizza!!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: Super Easy Veggie BBQ Options?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 10:23:00 PM »
Pizza is hardly safe anymore w/ gluten free, dairy free, etc.

As a vegetarian, I don't really expect people to go out of their way to accommodate me, to be honest. A lot of times BBQ places will have some sides that are vegetarian and I am perfectly happy with that. It's really nice if you can put a little sign out that says things are or aren't veggie (like beans can go either way). But commonly BBQ places will have mac & cheese, baked potatoes, maybe baked beans, & a couple of salads.

Or if you are looking for alternative catering options a taco bar is an easy thing that will please everyone. Qdoba & Chipotle both do a decent job at this.

Offline picote

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 10:57:38 PM »
Pizza is hardly safe anymore w/ gluten free, dairy free, etc.

As a vegetarian, I don't really expect people to go out of their way to accommodate me, to be honest. A lot of times BBQ places will have some sides that are vegetarian and I am perfectly happy with that. It's really nice if you can put a little sign out that says things are or aren't veggie (like beans can go either way). But commonly BBQ places will have mac & cheese, baked potatoes, maybe baked beans, & a couple of salads.

Or if you are looking for alternative catering options a taco bar is an easy thing that will please everyone. Qdoba & Chipotle both do a decent job at this.

Oh, I like the Mac and cheese option! We were already planning some veggie sides, but nothing that seemed substantial enough. That’s perfect!

We unfortunately included the BBQ on the invite—they’re legendary here. If we hadn’t, I’d be all over switching it up. It’s going to be far more expensive than we expected!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 11:03:27 PM »
They might also do baked potatoes.  Baked  potato bar is also great!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 01:00:48 PM »
A friend did a grits bar (crockpot) once that was fantastic. That would go with BBQ and be super easy to make. Shredded cheese, chopped green onion, bacon (or fake-on) and whatever else you like to put on grits.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 02:11:28 PM »
A friend did a grits bar (crockpot) once that was fantastic. That would go with BBQ and be super easy to make. Shredded cheese, chopped green onion, bacon (or fake-on) and whatever else you like to put on grits.
Ooooh great idea!

I am a latecomer to grits, but now an ardent fan.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 03:38:43 PM »
same here...though we had "mameligah" growing up which is Romanian polenta so very similar.

fabulous grits are an art.  my fave have green chilis and goat cheese. mmmm
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 03:59:32 PM »
same here...though we had "mameligah" growing up which is Romanian polenta so very similar.

fabulous grits are an art.  my fave have green chilis and goat cheese. mmmm
Oh yeah!!! I make a version of that (I call it polenta though, because I have zero southern cred), goat cheese is really good in grits.

Having proper shrimp and grits was a revelation to me.

Online ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 01:16:53 PM »
I love the grits idea.  YUM.

Total comfort food to me.
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline picote

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 02:32:44 PM »

Oh, that would be good! I'm taking the completely easy way out and going to pick up a couple of ready to bake mac & cheese containers from costco--too much planning to do and not enough time!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 09:00:13 PM »
I love the grits idea.  YUM.

Total comfort food to me.

Absolutely.  She also does the meatballs in jelly thing that's so popular at potluck meals.

Online ihop

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2019, 09:54:18 AM »
Absolutely.  She also does the meatballs in jelly thing that's so popular at potluck meals.

Yes!  Grape jelly!  My MIL makes this for parties.  And cheese balls. 
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 11:58:58 AM »
The ex-boyfriend makes a dip that is cream cheese, chorizo, rotel, and a bunch of taco seasoning that is always popular.  He often makes it with vegetarian chorizo because prep is simpler.  Nobody call tell the difference.  He microwaves things to a certain consistency and then mixes it in the crockpot.  Serve with tortilla chips or corn chips.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2019, 09:21:45 PM »
The same friend puts that out too!  :!:  But not with veggie chorizo.
Yes!  Grape jelly!  My MIL makes this for parties.

yes!

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 01:16:42 PM »
Veggie chorizo crumbles are really good.  The flavor and texture are really close to real chorizo, without the grease.  (And without having to strip it out of the casing and cook thoroughly and make a mess part).  They are also good on pizza.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2019, 01:57:08 PM »
Veggie chorizo crumbles are really good.  The flavor and texture are really close to real chorizo, without the grease.  (And without having to strip it out of the casing and cook thoroughly and make a mess part).  They are also good on pizza.

Good to know.  I like the flavor of chorizo, but not the fuss and mess.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2019, 02:31:57 PM »
i've used the soychorizo in recipes with positive reviews.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 07:45:53 PM »
yes, there are a few good ones out there (and yummy salt!)  My fave is the No Evil Foods Zapatista and it's not crumbles, but worth it to work with.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2019, 12:11:34 PM »
I have no idea the brand.  Just that they carry it at Publix.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2019, 07:58:09 AM »

I like them.  I love them in a Mexican quiche, but also for tacos.  Easy, healthy and good for leftovers as well.

ETA: I have had the Lightlife and Morningstar Farms brands.  Both are good.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 08:00:35 AM by Rejaneration »
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

+-SUPPORT US