Author Topic: Yogurt  (Read 7255 times)

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
Yogurt
« on: March 27, 2019, 10:54:00 AM »
I just tried noosa yogurt and OMG now I know why people like yogurt.

No more diet yogurt for me!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Yogurt
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 06:13:41 PM »
 :preen:
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline blue sleep

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 11:19:46 PM »
The lemon tastes like lemon meringue pie.  It is absolutely ridiculous.  I only allow myself to have it once every six months ;).  I seem to remember that the blackberry serrano was good too.

My other favorite dessert yogurt is brown cow cream top maple.  Also ridiculous.  Also wonderful.
Baa, baa Blue Sleep

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 07:09:02 AM »
Greek Gods is good too!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 09:56:54 AM »
The blackberry serrano whispers sweet nothings at me every time I walk through the dairy aisle. One day I will succumb.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 12:00:38 PM »
Is it considered a dessert yogurt? I was eating it for breakfast.  :D

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 02:48:57 PM »
Is it considered a dessert yogurt? I was eating it for breakfast.  :D
no but it should be  :rotfl:

Online ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 10:52:04 AM »
The rhubarb is delicious.
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 08:51:07 AM »
Diet yogurt... I cannot stand the flavor of artificial sweeteners.

Have you tried Liberté yogurt?  I think it's another great commercial yogurt.

I am still sticking with my own homemade, though.   :)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 09:26:23 AM »
I thought I hated yogurt for years and years. Then I tried full fat yogurt with natural flavors and was like, OH.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 09:58:03 PM »
Liberté is my favourite
Because PANTS

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 02:34:59 PM »
Liberté is my favourite

It was DH's. We used to import it from Canada years ago. Now it's available here, too. We stopped buying it (full fat), though, because of cholesterol.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2019, 04:33:42 PM »
Diet yogurt... I cannot stand the flavor of artificial sweeteners.

Have you tried Liberté yogurt?  I think it's another great commercial yogurt.

I am still sticking with my own homemade, though.   :)
I've not made yogurt in about a month, and I miss mine!
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2019, 08:18:38 PM »
I've not made yogurt in about a month, and I miss mine!

still make mine every week.  But I have to buy yogurt for DH.  He likes the sweetened kind.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2019, 10:04:29 PM »
Lately I've been making my yogurt using the Fairlife ultra-filtered milk product.  I used some skyr as the original starter, but now I just start the next batch with a dollop of yogurt from the previous batch.  Using regular grocery store milk generally worked, but there were the occasional exceptions.  Using the Fairlife milk, never had a failed batch.  Plus you can cut out the tedious sterilization step where you have to boil the milk first and then have to wait until the temperature drops to a level where it won't kill the starter before you can start the fermentation process.  With this stuff, you just pour it into the Instant Pot straight from the fridge, add some starter, and start making yogurt immediately. 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2019, 10:06:14 AM »
Lately I've been making my yogurt using the Fairlife ultra-filtered milk product.  I used some skyr as the original starter, but now I just start the next batch with a dollop of yogurt from the previous batch.  Using regular grocery store milk generally worked, but there were the occasional exceptions.  Using the Fairlife milk, never had a failed batch.  Plus you can cut out the tedious sterilization step where you have to boil the milk first and then have to wait until the temperature drops to a level where it won't kill the starter before you can start the fermentation process.  With this stuff, you just pour it into the Instant Pot straight from the fridge, add some starter, and start making yogurt immediately. 

Interesting. I have seen it around, but never tried it.  You don't have to get it up to 110 degrees?

I stopped making Greek yogurt and skyr. Now only do regular yogurt, since calcium content is higher.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2019, 10:19:59 AM »
No, it's perfectly safe to make in the Instant Pot from a cold start.  Just pour in the milk, whisk in some starter, and push the Yogurt button.  This is possible because Fairlife milk is thoroughly pasturized and filtered, a process that not only eliminates the possibility of biological contaminants, but results in a better nutritional profile.  50% more protein than regular milk, 50% less sugar, 30% more calcium, and lactose free.  Try a bottle and see what you think.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2019, 04:05:50 PM »
No, it's perfectly safe to make in the Instant Pot from a cold start.  Just pour in the milk, whisk in some starter, and push the Yogurt button.  This is possible because Fairlife milk is thoroughly pasturized and filtered, a process that not only eliminates the possibility of biological contaminants, but results in a better nutritional profile.  50% more protein than regular milk, 50% less sugar, 30% more calcium, and lactose free.  Try a bottle and see what you think.

Will do, I like the 50% more protein; but actually, the 30% more calcium is not an asset: the body can only absorb a certain amount at one time, and it's better to spead intake of smaller amounts of calcium throughout the day.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2019, 05:54:03 PM »
Protein is actually the same, as I understand it. The body can put to use a certain amount at any sitting. So better to break it into smaller amounts throughout the day than all at once.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2019, 07:40:41 PM »
Assuming your portion size is around 6 oz, I think the amounts of protein and calcium in yogurt made from Fairlife milk are well below the levels that would overwhelm the body's ability to make full use of those nutrients.  If I'm wrong about that, I'd be interested in seeing the evidence. 

+-SUPPORT US