Author Topic: Holiday baking and other food prep  (Read 84680 times)

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Holiday baking and other food prep
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2012, 06:39:14 AM »
I made this today, and I have 2nd degree burns on one of my hands to prove it!

Caribou, if you ever decide to make this nougat, use Chef Bernard's recipe for a couple of reasons. The one from kitchn doesn't have the cocoa butter needed to give nougat that chocolate scent. The other thing is that Chef B heated the honey and sugar with glucose in separate sauce pots. I wondered about this, now I know why. If you heat the honey and sugar together you won't be able to get the mixture to a high enough temperature because the mixture foams up so I had to stir the mixture to let the foam  dissipate so my thermometer could detect the syrup's temp. I might have cooked my honey and sugar too long because of the false temp that the foam caused. Roasting the nuts in 180 deg C/356 deg F is about right versus roasting them in 400 deg F.

I'll post pics of the bars tomorrow. I'm letting them sit to cool at the moment. Tomorrow, guimave des fraises, et chocolat.

:!:

is that why I think my candy thermometer isn't working?  because of foaming?

I chucked it out and have been using the icewater method for testing stages.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2013, 08:13:37 AM »
I think this thread is safe from the prune, but I don't want to lose my sugarplum recipe...  #bettersafethansorry

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2013, 01:19:46 PM »
it's sugar plum day chez caribougrrl

Offline wherestheportojohn

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2013, 01:44:44 PM »
 :heartbeat:
On, Wisconsin

Offline all-smiles

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2013, 04:03:24 PM »
Perfect timing as I've been perfecting my coffee toffee recipe with dark chocolate and toasted pecans. Next up will be a few rounds of butter toffee with white chocolate and toasted macadamia nuts :)
Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and a insurrection.
- Mark Twain

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2014, 02:03:08 PM »
bumping for the 2014 holiday season...

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2014, 08:40:46 AM »
a failed attempt at sponge toffee on the weekend (burnt, I should have taken it off the heat before the hard crack stage because it keeps cooking for a wee bit once removed) but will try again through the week

we also made a batch of martha stewart's peppermint marshmallows (we skip the food colouring marble): http://www.marthastewart.com/355781/candy-cane-marshmallows

gawd I love home made marshmallows...

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2014, 09:46:19 AM »
I have my cookie party in 2 weeks (less than!) and need to try some cookie recipes. DD requested gingerbread men. But I usually make 2-3 things.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2014, 09:51:25 AM »
DD's other request is to make this, which i do not think she ever saw a recipe but she is addicted to mandarin oranges and i think she thought they would be best dipped in chocolate :D

http://www.giverecipe.com/chocolate-covered-orange.html

i was thinking of this cookie to try, lemon poppy seed

http://theprettybee.com/2014/05/vegan-gluten-free-lemon-poppy-seed-cookies.html
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2014, 09:16:26 AM »
DD's other request is to make this, which i do not think she ever saw a recipe but she is addicted to mandarin oranges and i think she thought they would be best dipped in chocolate :D

http://www.giverecipe.com/chocolate-covered-orange.html

i was thinking of this cookie to try, lemon poppy seed

http://theprettybee.com/2014/05/vegan-gluten-free-lemon-poppy-seed-cookies.html

the choc covered candied oranges look fantastic!

Offline ihop

« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2014, 11:44:18 AM »
the choc covered candied oranges look fantastic!

1!
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2014, 01:35:38 PM »
I bought a bag of organic oranges to try this wtih and will hopefully do the simple syrup tomorrow and let them dry and dip them on Thursday.

I made something called "sparkling cranberries" for Thanksgiving and it was cranberries (fresh) soaked in simple syrup (2c sugar 2c water boiled and slightly cooled) for a day, drained and tossed in granulated sugar, set on a cookie sheet to dry and retossed once more. They were beautiful and delicious and easy. And do not eat a raw cranberry, BARF!

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2014, 01:50:14 PM »
I bought a bag of organic oranges to try this wtih and will hopefully do the simple syrup tomorrow and let them dry and dip them on Thursday.

I made something called "sparkling cranberries" for Thanksgiving and it was cranberries (fresh) soaked in simple syrup (2c sugar 2c water boiled and slightly cooled) for a day, drained and tossed in granulated sugar, set on a cookie sheet to dry and retossed once more. They were beautiful and delicious and easy. And do not eat a raw cranberry, BARF!

save the excess syrup!  it would make a good glaze to brush on chocolate chip muffins... or cooled and used in cocktails...

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2014, 03:29:21 PM »
hindsight is 20/20. I could have reused it for the oranges!!!

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2014, 11:30:26 AM »
I made home made turtles yesterday. Very simple, a little messy. It's just pecans, melted caramels with 1/2 and 1/2, and melted chocolate. A little sprinkle of sea salt on top. I bought 2 giant 1lb blocks of chocolate at Trader Joe's yesterday and extra caramels. Other than needing more pecans, I have enough to make them a second time as I mixed milk and dark chocolate, so I now have a lot of chocolate left.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2014, 12:20:23 PM »
I made home made turtles yesterday. Very simple, a little messy. It's just pecans, melted caramels with 1/2 and 1/2, and melted chocolate. A little sprinkle of sea salt on top. I bought 2 giant 1lb blocks of chocolate at Trader Joe's yesterday and extra caramels. Other than needing more pecans, I have enough to make them a second time as I mixed milk and dark chocolate, so I now have a lot of chocolate left.

When I get to the end of my holiday baking etc., I use any left over chocolate to coat any leftover dried fruit... I will actually purchase dried apricots for this if I don't have any around.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2014, 02:29:34 PM »

Meri...did you do this? how did it come out? I want to try both the oranges and the cranberries and making my own candied citrus peel SOMEDAY.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2014, 04:02:20 PM »
UGH. No I have not. YOu have to boil the oranges for 1.5 hours then let them dry. I am hoping to boil them tomorrow.

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2014, 02:21:18 AM »
UGH. No I have not. YOu have to boil the oranges for 1.5 hours then let them dry. I am hoping to boil them tomorrow.
I've made candied orange peel dipped in chocolate, but not an entire slice. So I won't know the exact formula and cooking time for slices of orange. This recipe's sugar/water proportion is incorrect. There should be more sugar than water in the mixture. I would try 3 parts of sugar:1 part water. Add a spoonful of corn syrup to keep the syrup from crystallizing. Also I don't think you have to simmer the oranges for over an hour.

It ain't a party til mags shows up. -wonderwoman

Offline ihop

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2014, 04:00:43 PM »
I've made candied orange peel dipped in chocolate, but not an entire slice. So I won't know the exact formula and cooking time for slices of orange. This recipe's sugar/water proportion is incorrect. There should be more sugar than water in the mixture. I would try 3 parts of sugar:1 part water. Add a spoonful of corn syrup to keep the syrup from crystallizing. Also I don't think you have to simmer the oranges for over an hour.

Good info.  I would think that simmering for that long would make them fall apart!
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

+-SUPPORT US