Author Topic: Permanent injuries  (Read 8460 times)

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
Permanent injuries
« on: January 03, 2017, 03:47:10 PM »
Anyone got one? Or two?

Copied from another thread:

I'm still on the 3 days a week, 30 minutes per day "recovery" plan.

My hamstring is not getting better and I'm starting to think this is sort of a permanent injury.  :( Background: it started "aching" about 4 or 5 years ago when I was putting in a lot of miles, but the pain would come and go and I just dealt with it. Fast forward to last July when I felt an actual "snap" in the hamstring during yoga class. I was preparing to move cross country so I took a lot of time off of running (5 or 6 weeks) and resumed occasional runs in October. It hurt. Persistently. I've been seeing a PT/sports chiro for about a month and am doing rehab, plus getting ART, etc. Absolutely no improvement whatsoever.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
Re: Permanent injuries
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 03:58:36 PM »
I have an artificial hip that's pretty permanent.
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

siamesedream

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 04:11:24 PM »
Screws in me ankle.

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 05:41:38 PM »
Back in the day, I tore a cartilege playing in the Sunday football league.  I had surgery and it is now a permanent injury.  I never know when it is going to swell; requiring some time off from running.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 06:38:07 PM »
No improvement? :( Are you going to go in for more testing like an mri?

I "did something" to my left calf about 2 years ago while training for a HM (speedwork on the treadmill). At this point, I am considering it permanent/semi-permanent. I took 6 weeks off completely. Then did 2 months of PT. And, it was "better" but every time I work back up to running I end up with the same pain/stiffness in my calf. A few weeks ago I did run 3 miles without pain, but the next day and a few days after I was back to being stiff & sore on that leg. The dr at the time suspected a partial tear of some ligament but given the lingering symptoms, I just don't think that is it.

I don't have time to run/train right now anyway so I'm just hoping I'll be able to overcome it with strength when I do get back to it someday.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 06:40:12 PM by Run Amok »

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 07:27:24 PM »
No improvement? :( Are you going to go in for more testing like an mri?

What for? The treatment will be rest and/or PT, both of which I have done/am doing. The pain started a number of years back and even 9 weeks completely off of running following a broken ankle didn't help.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 07:52:52 PM »
I'm pretty sure my hamstring/piriformis/sciatic nerve thing will never completely go away. I can manage it, but it's hard to imagine it ever going away. And I run a lot less now. A fraction of my previous weekly mileage.

And now my knees are always creaky. And the bottom of my right foot hurts. Aging is fun!
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 09:37:35 PM »
Osteoarthritis in my right knee, from an unfortunate chain of events leading to the 16th to 18th mile at the 2009 NYC Marathon. I've averaged over 2000 miles a year since 2011. It's something that I need to watch, must back down some days, but it's held up pretty well.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 12:46:51 PM »
Osteoarthritis in my right knee, from an unfortunate chain of events leading to the 16th to 18th mile at the 2009 NYC Marathon. I've averaged over 2000 miles a year since 2011. It's something that I need to watch, must back down some days, but it's held up pretty well.

That was the marathon when you broke your leg, right?

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 01:25:32 PM »
That was the marathon when you broke your leg, right?

Yes, came in with a bone bruise and ran anyway. Big mistake.

siamesedream

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 01:33:51 PM »
I had surgery on my ankle back in 2008, I still have a scar where they made the incision and placed the pins. They were very skilled, I've had no problems with the ankle.

:fingers:

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 02:45:46 PM »
I have an artificial hip that's pretty permanent.

i do not think of that as an injury.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 04:34:54 PM »
i do not think of that as an injury.

:skep:  It was to fix osteoarthritis in my hip (bone on bone).  Due to injury.  If Coyote claims it for his knee, I get it for my hip.  8)
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 12:58:10 PM »
I have a friend who tore the hamstring way up high near the glute and she has problems with it on and off. Probably a scar tissue situation.

I'm pretty sure my achilles issues are not going to fully go away. There is always something these days. Last year was my feet and those are better with orthotics, but now the joint in my toe is bothering me. It's like it gets stuck and the whole foot is off as a result. The chiro helps it but it won't go away. Meanwhile I'm afraid I'm walking on the side of my foot which will cause more problems.

My back stuff I'm sure will always be a concern as well. As it is, I can't lift heavy over my head as I can feel squeezing back in my SI area and it makes me nervous.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 02:23:19 PM »
:skep:  It was to fix osteoarthritis in my hip (bone on bone).  Due to injury.  If Coyote claims it for his knee, I get it for my hip.  8)

But mine's not fixed.
Nevertheless, an artificial hip is not the same thing as a healthy real hip so Arrojo's point is well taken. But what am I to know, just a wandering an interloper here.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 02:48:44 PM »
We could fund raise for a new knee for CML.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 03:56:17 PM »
We could fund raise for a new knee for CML.

Ha! I'm actually pretty good.

I don't know if you remember but I flew to NH in 2010 to get a grafting of articular cartilage onto the damaged area, because the MRI showed a dime sized hole there. But they got in with the scope and found that the outside cartilage was mostly intact. So in effect, it was like the end of an egg when you crack it on the table but it still stays intact and good for the rest of the day. It got re-injured that summer and I had to sit out another 5 or 6 months but it's still hanging in there. No better but no worse than by spring of 2011.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 09:43:38 AM »
I don't know if this counts as an "injury" per se, but for the past four years I've had to be very careful about a spot in my back where I tend to get a spasm...I have to get regular massages, attend yoga, and do PT on it to prevent it from acting up and keeping me from running.  Once I stop paying attention to it, it not-so-gently reminds me it's there.  Overall, my back and hips have kept me out of more than one race that I've trained for. 

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2017, 04:26:07 PM »
My PT took a tire iron to my hamstring on Wednesday. Now it hurts AND I have a huge bruise.

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2017, 04:50:46 PM »
My right knee is fucked. I hope it gets better.

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2017, 05:23:41 PM »
My PT took a tire iron to my hamstring on Wednesday. Now it hurts AND I have a huge bruise.

Get a new PT!  There are better ways to break up scar tissue.

Offline nneJ

• The Runners
  • Breathing without remorse since 1976
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 03:30:44 PM »
I'm old.  Apparently that's permanent...
I can't, just can't let myself be beat by people dressed as cheeseburgers.  ~Eco Ellen

Uh. Did I just get compared to a three-year-old on a sugar high? ~debbatx

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2017, 03:48:29 PM »
I'm old.  Apparently that's permanent...
:D

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2017, 02:39:32 PM »
Left hip/quad has been bothering me for six weeks or so.  I have taken time off, iced, NSAIDs, done PT including dry needling, etc.  It will feel better, then I will run two days in row and then it hurts again.

I haven't been to the dr for the same reasons as CA - she will take an xray, not see anything and then prescribe exactly what I have been doing.   :sigh:

ETA- I hope it isn't permanent!
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline wherestheportojohn

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 10:27:28 AM »
:( Yes.

Both shoulders, different reasons.
Pinky on right hand.
Left ankle.
And, of course, my colon.

I'm forever adapting and coping.
On, Wisconsin

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2017, 08:58:28 PM »
What for? The treatment will be rest and/or PT, both of which I have done/am doing. The pain started a number of years back and even 9 weeks completely off of running following a broken ankle didn't help.

I don't know. Maybe a more detailed image would reveal something that needs a different kind of treatment than you've done so far. Or maybe it would be a waste. I didn't go in for more imaging on my calf either. Running seems to be the only thing that aggravates it. I can do just about anything else but the repetitive nature of running really seems to make my body cranky. Esp in it's currently chubby state.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2017, 10:52:40 PM »
Left hip/quad has been bothering me for six weeks or so.  I have taken time off, iced, NSAIDs, done PT including dry needling, etc.  It will feel better, then I will run two days in row and then it hurts again.

I haven't been to the dr for the same reasons as CA - she will take an xray, not see anything and then prescribe exactly what I have been doing.   :sigh:

ETA- I hope it isn't permanent!

Have you seen a chiropractor? 

+-SUPPORT US