Author Topic: Makeup advice  (Read 17874 times)

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
Makeup advice
« on: October 05, 2014, 09:38:25 AM »
Getting old sucks. I have wrinkles over and under my eyes that are now deep enough that the foundation and eye shadow get squished out of them when I squint creating caverns rather than wrinkles. Is there a solution to this besides not wearing makeup? I have dark circles under my eyes that I like to hide.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
Re: Makeup advice
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 12:50:06 AM »
Wear glasses?  Mine seem to hide my wrinkles and tiredness.  I don't know how really.  Reflections maybe?
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 12:11:18 PM »
I found that a primer helps keep shadow in place and it stops gathering in the wrinkles.
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 05:44:42 PM »
What's a primer? Or maybe I just need a brand name.

And just for laughs I have to post this.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 10:36:16 AM by tenacious1 »

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 06:54:19 PM »
tinted moisturizer?
I've been doing this how long?

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 10:49:08 AM »
tinted moisturizer?

I think that would slide around the wrinkles and crevasses just like foundation and eye shadow. Any chance you have first hand experience and know it works?

Offline ihop

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 12:10:01 PM »
I like the primer by Nars.  I think it works better than Urban Decay.  It goes on before eye make up - swipe it on and let it dry then put on your make up.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 12:49:56 PM »
Have you ever tried it under the eyes? I'm guessing if it works on the lids it might work under the eye, too?

Offline ihop

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 01:08:41 PM »
I haven't tried it under the eyes.  It does keep my shadow and liner from running on my lid.

Do you have a Sephora near you?  If so, ask a salesperson to see the various primers.  Last time I was there, they had a display of approx 8 or so different brands.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 01:22:20 PM »
You need a line filling primer.  Smashbox has one and others brands do too.  Buy it from Ulta or Sephora and if it does not work just return it and try another. 
Because PANTS

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 04:34:37 PM »
I've never heard of these stores but I don't shop for makeup often. Off to google.  :)

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 10:25:14 AM »
This might not be what you're looking for, but Clinique's 'All About Eyes' -  is a magic cream that I put under my eyes every morning. It helps with puffiness and bags and I swear by it. If I look tired in the morning it makes a huge difference. I have lines around my eyes as well and when I put on my powder Bare Minerals foundation and blush I try to position my face in a way that the wrinkles are not squinched so the make up goes on smooth skin. Otherwise the blush winds up in the crevasses and that's just weird. Ugh. Getting old sucks.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 03:01:14 PM »
I've had the same thing happen with powder so I never wear it any more. One advantage of getting older is that there's no oily shine on my face so skipping the powder is not big deal. Maybe "All About Eyes" is what I need because it would fix the underlying problem instead of hiding it.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 04:26:58 PM »
When does the oily shine stop?  I'm 46 and still have oily shine and acne.  But I also have dry patches - especially around my eyes.   (But seriously, my glasses hide all kinds of things. It's magic!) 

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 08:47:55 AM »
I'm 52 and I think my face has not been shiny for over 5 years. YMMV  ;)

My prescription glasses are probably 15 years old and are not bifocals. I wear monovision(?) contacts where one is for distance and the other is for up close. I still need readers for small print so they are on and off all day long. I don't look great in glasses so I'd rather not pursue that option.

Offline ihop

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 02:56:01 PM »
There is a Sephora at Haywood Mall.  I can't figure out if it is a stand alone store or a store within JC Penney. 

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 03:52:21 PM »
You do realize this means someone who lives hundreds of miles away and has never lived in my town knows way more about my local mall than I do. I'll have to check it out this weekend.  :roll:

Offline all-smiles

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2014, 11:41:46 PM »
Urban decay primer for eyes and hourglass primer for face. It will make a huge difference, I promise
Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and a insurrection.
- Mark Twain

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 09:19:24 AM »
I'm not entirely comfortable with T1 asking for girly advice

In my mind, she looks like

Yes, that's why I need help.  :d

Offline wherestheportojohn

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 06:57:56 PM »
Good luck, T1!

:(
Almost 62 yrs old with sags, bags, creases, wrinkles, and age spots.
I rarely wear anything on this old mug other than mascara, because I've never mastered the art of choosing and applying makeup....unless I wanna look like a clown....
On, Wisconsin

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 08:46:11 AM »
I may go that route. What's the point of wearing makeup if you it emphasizes the wrinkles. I look better without it.

I went by Sephora Saturday and bought a $72 bottle of eye serum that's supposed to fix my problem. I can't tell any difference. I think I'll try putting it around one eye and not the other and see what difference it makes.

BTW - They want me to come in for a complete. Apparently walking into a make up store wearing nothing but moisturizer is alarming.

Offline ihop

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2014, 09:25:41 AM »
You do realize this means someone who lives hundreds of miles away and has never lived in my town knows way more about my local mall than I do. I'll have to check it out this weekend.  :roll:

I just googled it.  I haven't ever stepped foot in that mall!

And of course they want to do your make up!  It is good for their sales and, from my experience, the sales people really enjoy it.  And don't give up on the serum - it can take a few weeks.  Also, I am pretty sure you can return it if you don't like it.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2014, 12:57:18 PM »

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 07:20:33 PM »
I think that would slide around the wrinkles and crevasses just like foundation and eye shadow. Any chance you have first hand experience and know it works?

sorry, no.  Just a big fan of what not to wear. 
I've been doing this how long?

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 09:00:22 AM »
I could have bought it online for $55. grrrrr

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Dennis-Gross-Skincare-Correction/dp/B00AW691IY

Even cheaper now!   :e)

I hate spending scads of money on make up.  Anything over $40 is enough to make me tighten up.  If it worked...but I am not sure they do.

However, I might spend a lot more if the wrinkles were guaranteed to be eradicated.   :(
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2014, 10:03:48 PM »
Well, I've been using it over a week and I think I'm seeing improvement. I should have taken before and after photos. I've been avoiding the camera.  8)

Online Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 11:43:10 PM »
I am still using the cover girl stick concealer. Maybelline mascara pale eye shadow from elf with no shimmer. Shimmer at my age just accentuates fine lines. Light brown eyebrow pencil clear mascara to tame the brows. Eyelash curler cover girl rose silk blush. Revlon liquid all day long lipsticks. I work for a major cosmetics company, Elizabeth Arden, and decided then that I would never pay a fortune for makeup. You're paying for packaging and advertising. Do not use a mineral - aka loose powder - foundation as you age. If you must wear foundation take a sponge and a little moisture on it along with  a dab of foundation and blend it all over the face and blend it well into the neckline and a bit down into the neck. Otherwise you get a line.  My routine takes all of 10 minutes. Do not try to do any sculpting of cheekbone or refining your nose or any of that. And just give yourself a natural glow by taking a big brush and getting the plush just loosely on the ship phones around the guys a little around the hairline on the forehead and under the jawline. If it seems too heavy pat it down with a tissue.  You want to look fresh, not like a drag queen.

Online Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 11:44:56 PM »
Sorry for the occasional bizarre comments. I'm dictating to my phone

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2014, 07:10:22 AM »
It almost looks like you've been borrowing drugs from your patients. The salesperson really looked down her nose at me when I said I was wearing Covergirl. I used up my Clinique foundation a year of so ago and the Covergirl has been fine. (Thanks Ellen!) Unless it's a special occasion all I wear is foundation, eye shadow, and Bert's Bees on my lips. My mom has been mortified for years that I don't wear lipstick.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2014, 10:49:30 AM »
I almost never wear eyeshadow.  It draws attention to the crepe-y skin around my eyes, and for whatever reason seems to make them seem smaller.  Probably too much shimmery stuff in it.  Besides just the pencil is faster.

I am using a L'Oreal (I think) BB cream foundation thing.  It's a little dry (but I still have to use oil-free or I break out), and I wish it had sunscreen.  But it's a pretty natural coverage on me.  (And I don't see a line at my jaw unless I flush and my neck turns red and my face doesn't, haha.)  I tried the Aveeno BB cream and it felt less dry and had sunscreen, but even the lightest one was too dark/orange on me.

I'm using a Neutrogena blush and powder.  I use the blush on my cheeks, forehead, bridge of nose and a little like eyeshadow (not much there).  I look dead without blush.

I tend to forget lip color and just use a balm most of the time, but I look better with a little lip color.

I'm using coconut oil on my neck.  I have the Simply night cream (oil free) that I use as a moisturizer, but if I use it on my neck too much, it gets irritated. Coconut oil is too oily for my face, but it's great on my neck and decolletage, which are perpetually dry and itchy.  Nice on the knees and elbows too.  Interestingly the cheap stuff I bought (LouAna) on the cooking aisle at Target does not smell like anything.  The boyfriend bought me some for his house that's in a nice glass jar and organic blah blah blah and it smells very much like coconut.

Offline ihop

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2014, 03:58:42 PM »
It almost looks like you've been borrowing drugs from your patients. The salesperson really looked down her nose at me when I said I was wearing Covergirl. I used up my Clinique foundation a year of so ago and the Covergirl has been fine. (Thanks Ellen!) Unless it's a special occasion all I wear is foundation, eye shadow, and Bert's Bees on my lips. My mom has been mortified for years that I don't wear lipstick.

I almost posted this same thing.  Ship phones!

It might be generational.  My mother never left the house without lipstick.  Seriously. 

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2014, 05:58:29 AM »
I love lipstick.

I also have recently discovered Boots No 7 foundation and really like it.

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline wherestheportojohn

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2014, 09:17:15 AM »
 :-* I continue to return to this thread for updates and inspiration.

Yay, tenacious!

I also continue to not wear makeup, other than mascara and occasional eyeliner. Oy.
On, Wisconsin

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2014, 01:22:46 PM »
Well I've been using the eye serum for over two weeks and I think I like it. My foundation no longer seems to be crawling into the creases.

Mascara is a whole nother problem. I save it for special occasions because some always seems to get in my eyes which is super painful with my contact lenses. I still have tried wearing eye shadow yet. I should do that.

Offline ihop

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2014, 03:26:44 PM »
I like Eyeko mascara - it doesn't flake and irritate my contacts.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2014, 04:19:28 PM »
How do you tackle the other problem with mascara -- removing it? That's the second part of why I normally skip it.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2014, 11:35:47 PM »
almay eye makeup remover

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2014, 12:57:45 PM »

Offline ihop

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2014, 02:05:25 PM »
And Neutrogena remover.  I like that one too.

Offline JBM

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2014, 02:30:19 PM »

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2014, 08:36:55 PM »
mac has a good remover too (purple bottle) that doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes or gunk up my contact lenses.

how about eye creams?  anyone have a favorite?
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Online Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2014, 10:28:24 AM »
Plain old cold cream.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2014, 01:47:47 PM »
JBM for the longest I thought you were a man. So it still takes me a minute when I see you in threads like these! Lol.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline JBM

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2014, 10:49:24 AM »
No, I'm a female. I don't have much to say and tend to be short I guess, but definitely not a man. I like and wear make up.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2015, 10:43:02 AM »
I ran out of the expensive primer I was using around my eyes and tried this since I'd been using it on my face. I think the results are the same and this is 1/3 the cost.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2015, 01:51:00 PM »
Tenacious, that is exactly why I popped into this thread.  :D

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2015, 11:32:38 AM »
I've started using this foundation and the bags under my eyes have almost disappeared. It might be oil based?? My skin looks much nicer since I started using it.

+-SUPPORT US