Author Topic: Cycling -- rider transfers  (Read 38994 times)

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
Re: Cycling -- rider transfers
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2014, 03:19:59 PM »

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2014, 04:43:08 PM »
I think that's a good thing. I'd hate to see a green, light blue, orange argyle kit. Though I hope they don't lose the argyle altogether.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2014, 03:05:23 PM »
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/the-cyclingnews-guide-to-rider-transfers-2

Quickstep is changing names to:  Etixx-QuickstepOmega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team

All kits will be extra-large just to handle the name.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2014, 06:28:56 PM »
Oh thank goodness. At least they're not name after a home pregnancy testing kit.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2014, 09:00:02 AM »
Farrar to MTN Qhubeka. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/farrar-signs-for-mtn-qhubeka

The South African has already announced the signings of South African Reinardt Janse van Rensburg, Dutch rider Theo Bos and Norwegian Edvald Boasson Hagen Haagan Daz for the coming season. Earlier today it was announced that Linus Gerdemann was leaving the team as his option for 2015 was not picked up.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 09:03:34 AM by tenacious1 »

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2014, 09:15:56 AM »
Huh.  I wish him well but he has had a pretty crappy season.  Maybe this is a change that will do him good?
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2014, 11:09:57 AM »
He hasn't been the same since Wouter Weylandt was killed in the Giro. I don't *know* that the two are tied but initially that's when he stopped winning. I guess he's still looking for whatever he lost. He still may find a way to start winning again.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2014, 09:12:59 AM »

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2014, 08:57:00 AM »

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2014, 02:09:37 PM »
The Schlecks have really been a disappointment since they burst on the scene.  I hope they get contracts, stay healthy and get their form back. 
I've been doing this how long?

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2014, 02:22:39 PM »
Trek renewed Frank through 2016. They haven't figured out what to do with Andy yet. Andy's injury in the TdF required surgery and they are waiting to see *if* he will recover.

Offline ihop

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2014, 03:37:26 PM »
Honestly, I am wondering if Andy is done.  He never recovered (at least mentally) from the crash 2? years ago.  And now this injury.  I am not hopeful.
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2014, 03:53:37 PM »
I agree. I think I read an interview that he was battling depression with one or two of his injury recoveries. Depression might be too strong a word for it. It was the contrast of being at the top of the sport and then rebuilding from zero that was a huge challenge for him.

I still look at his brother's positive drug test and think there was something fishy in his earlier results because they do everything together. I'm trying not to be so gullible. :shrug:

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2014, 08:44:56 AM »
Team Alonso?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/alonso-joins-forces-with-novo-ahead-of-possible-new-team

I just do not understand this guy. To have a ProTour Team he has to register with at least 10 riders today plus provide a bank guarantee. He's talking like he'll have a team but there is nothing specific, not riders signed, no mention of when this team will begin. He did hire Bettini but it all just seems so undefined.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2014, 09:05:37 AM »

Offline VP of Tea

• The Runners
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2014, 02:33:26 PM »
Andy Schleck is going to announce his retirement tomorrow. I only have a dutchie link.
Www.trailjournals.com/airlockGR5

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2014, 02:56:50 PM »
I think it's because he never recovered from fracturing his hip. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back in a year or two if it heals.

Offline ctjim

• The Runners
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2014, 08:02:42 PM »
 :D

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2014, 08:49:18 AM »
 :naughty:

:roll:

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »
Your predictions are generally more accurate than mine. I was wrong on A. Schleck's hip injury. It was his knee that forced the retirement.

In other news: Team Alonso still might happen, or so they say.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/10/news/alonso-misses-deadline-register-team-pro-continental-still-option_348737
Spanish newspaper AS reported Tuesday that sources have said that Formula One champion Fernando Alonso and his investment group, NOVO Holdings, have not met the October 1 deadline to register a cycling team with the UCI.

It was reported that Alonso’s organization had met the requirements for a WorldTour team registration earlier, including a 16,000 Euro guarantee. However, on the October 1 deadline, the prospective team did not provide a minimum roster of 10 riders, which is required by the UCI. The UCI process also requires a license application and a paid bank guarantee, neither of which were submitted by the Alonso group.

“A pro cycling team is not a business,” NOVO representative Nathan Pillai said to SportsPro. “If we are going to do this, we want to be around for the long-term — we don’t want to come in or out based on a sponsor need, so we wanted to create our own franchise, one that would sustain beyond a three or five-year sponsorship deal. In order to do that we needed to have a sustainable business model and that’s what we’re doing now.”

Alonso may not be entirely out of options. The UCI does allow teams to apply after October 1 but before November 1. In doing so, the Fernando Alonso Cycling Team (FACT) would have to pay a daily fine, and it could only register as a professional continental squad.

Despite September’s encouraging news that Alonso had partnered with NOVO, no riders have confirmed any deals with FACT. Furthermore, recent reports indicate that former world champion Paolo Bettini, who had acted as consultant team manager, has severed ties with the project.

“We do have a plan and roadmap in place,” Pillai told SportsPro. “All I can say on that is that we remain committed to getting that up and running. There has been a lot of speculation but it’s unfortunately the nature of the beast — I can tell you now a lot of what is written is inaccurate. We’ve been trying to find a way to do this, and if we’re going to do this it has to be done in the right way.”

Although Alonso and NOVO’s deliberate approach is admirable, they may be running out of time ahead of the 2015 season.

Actions speak louder than words. With Bettini out I doubt it will happen.

+-SUPPORT US