Author Topic: What fall races are you doing?  (Read 30073 times)

Offline wherestheportojohn

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: What fall races are you doing?
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 03:46:17 PM »
August half, October 15k, November half.

:e)

No wonder you've been training in the HHH.
On, Wisconsin

Offline wherestheportojohn

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 03:47:06 PM »
I don't enter events...I just live vicariously through teh real runners. :rockon:
On, Wisconsin

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2015, 06:48:48 AM »
Yes Stone Cat. I love the course and know it well. I was signed up last year but due to my injuries I had to skip it and I was very disappointed. I am hoping to run it really well. I did it two years ago and my legs were tired so I didn't do as well as I had hoped. The year before I ran a great race but accidentally skipped a small section which was frustrating to figure out. I was following two guys and they got out of my sight and I couldn't figure out what happened but the loop was a lollipop so once I realized that I messed up I just waited for them to come out so in theory I just waited them out a few minutes and picked up when they came through. I don't think it impacted my time all that much. It was probably a loop that took 5 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did it 3 times.  The last time, I woke up in a hotel 30-min. after gun time.  We rushed over and I had a great race, but the start felt a bit lonely.  It used to be later in the season, and I definitely remember frozen puddles. DH did the 50-miler 2 years ago and the weather was lovely.  It made me want to do the race again.

Offline Virginia Plain

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2015, 08:39:31 AM »
The Stone Mill 50 was my first (and only) 50 miler.  And it was the only race I ever DNF'd.  Some day I'll go back and do the whole thing.

Oh god, why?  It's DH's first 50.  His goal is Western States w/in the next 2 years. 
Then, it's just the ol' squat, catch and pitch...--Makeda

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2015, 09:44:36 AM »
I did it 3 times.  The last time, I woke up in a hotel 30-min. after gun time.  We rushed over and I had a great race, but the start felt a bit lonely.  It used to be later in the season, and I definitely remember frozen puddles. DH did the 50-miler 2 years ago and the weather was lovely.  It made me want to do the race again.
We've had great weather the last couple of years. Plus there was a section that used to be really wet and messy, but it got dammed up or something and so it's a pretty dry course now. This year the clocks will have already be changed so I think we won't be starting in the dark. I will be happy if I don't need my headlamp at 6am.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2015, 08:23:53 PM »
Oh god, why?  It's DH's first 50.  His goal is Western States w/in the next 2 years.
He knows the stats of the lottery, right??????????

My running partner usually drives us and i usually navigate, we did a 12 hour race a couple years ago and she wanted me to drive and she got us so lost we missed the start of the race, it was super sucky to navigate a trail without other runners, at least she and I had each other. There were heavy rains the night before and the course was not easy to follow and a lot was washed out.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Virginia Plain

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2015, 08:21:15 AM »
He knows the stats of the lottery, right??????????

My running partner usually drives us and i usually navigate, we did a 12 hour race a couple years ago and she wanted me to drive and she got us so lost we missed the start of the race, it was super sucky to navigate a trail without other runners, at least she and I had each other. There were heavy rains the night before and the course was not easy to follow and a lot was washed out.

He wants what he wants and tends to wear blinders against anything else. 
And he doesn't do anything small.  Have you seen the tattoos?  Now, his thing is running.

Plus, I highly doubt he'd make the cut off to earn the buckle, which is his reason for wanting to run it.  He has a pal who's gotten in.  So, that doesn't help either.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 08:24:26 AM by Cool Ethan »

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2015, 01:23:47 PM »
He wants what he wants and tends to wear blinders against anything else. 
And he doesn't do anything small.  Have you seen the tattoos?  Now, his thing is running.

Plus, I highly doubt he'd make the cut off to earn the buckle, which is his reason for wanting to run it.  He has a pal who's gotten in.  So, that doesn't help either.
Well this should be interesting :D
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2015, 03:22:00 PM »

I was one or two long runs away from being ready but ran it anyway.  Around mile 22 before the turnaround I fell and got a pretty bad puncture wound on the palm of my hand.  That took some wind out of my sails.  I should have opted for the early start time because I didn't get to a check point around mile 38 in time.  They had a cutoff for anyone who wasn't carrying a headlamp and mine was at mile 44 or something like that.  I think now they start everyone at 6AM when it used to be 7AM.  That late in autumn it gets dark early.

Offline Virginia Plain

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2015, 03:27:37 PM »
Good to know.  Thanx.  He hasn't trained beyond 30 miles at this point.

I'm curious to see how this plays out.  With running, he's always managed to get himself injured by training really stupid.  He seems to be holding on for the last 2 years though.  He is training smarter. 
But, I can see him getting injured and swearing (into his 90's) that he's going to run Western States.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2015, 08:15:19 PM »
Good to know.  Thanx.  He hasn't trained beyond 30 miles at this point.

I'm curious to see how this plays out.  With running, he's always managed to get himself injured by training really stupid.  He seems to be holding on for the last 2 years though.  He is training smarter. 
But, I can see him getting injured and swearing (into his 90's) that he's going to run Western States.
No need to train past 30 miles.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2015, 08:17:20 PM »
No need to train past 30 miles.

Actually, I used to train for 6 hours and then 4 hours the next day.  I never even bothered with miles when I was doing ultras.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2015, 09:09:23 PM »
I did back to back long runs before working with a coach, both ways worked well.

Zapatista

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2015, 06:43:16 PM »
End of Summer? (In San Diego??)  4 miler in La Jolla goes by my apartment this Sunday but not paying 42 bucks to run four miles.

Offline i am party

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2015, 09:44:09 PM »
Mohawk Hudson Marathon. October 11.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2015, 06:58:34 AM »
Mohawk Hudson Marathon. October 11.

Cool! One of my favorite marathons. 

Offline i am party

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2015, 12:54:07 PM »
Cool! One of my favorite marathons.

Great!  Happy to hear that.

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2015, 08:34:07 PM »
Thinking of running the Logan View Raider Run Marathon in Buttfuck Hooper, Nebraska (about 40 minutes NW of Omaha) on Labor Day Sunday if I can schedule the time off.

Otherwise looking at Freedom's Run Marathon, Shepherdstown WV around Harper Ferry and Antietam Battlefield on October 12th.
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2015, 07:18:57 AM »
Thinking of running the Logan View Raider Run Marathon in Buttfuck Hooper, Nebraska (about 40 minutes NW of Omaha) on Labor Day Sunday if I can schedule the time off.

Otherwise looking at Freedom's Run Marathon, Shepherdstown WV around Harper Ferry and Antietam Battlefield on October 12th.

you sure travel for runs

siamesedream

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2015, 02:41:42 AM »
Races don't excite me, I enjoy just going out and running.

+-SUPPORT US