Author Topic: Peaches!  (Read 4642 times)

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
Peaches!
« on: August 03, 2018, 01:42:24 PM »
Along with tomatoes and sweet corn, peaches are a true culinary pleasure of August.  There's nothing as excellent as a good, ripe peach.   One of the things I miss most about living in central NJ was the fabulous peaches from Terhune Orchards.  Unfortunately, Masshole peaches just don't compare, but they can be OK.  Plus, some decent (but still not Jersey quality) Georgia peaches have been showing up in my local market.

I'm liking peaches on the savory side these days.  Last weekend, an AllRecipes video inspired me to grill slices of peaches wrapped in strips of proscuitto. I stuck these on 2-pronged skewers then grilled them over coals for maybe 2 to 3 minutes (6 minutes total time, I think), turning them until the edges of the proscuitto became crisp and the fruit starting to caramelize.  I served them with a small scoop of cow's milk burrata cheese, dressed with a little EVOO, kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, and basil chiffonade.  It made a delicious light lunch!  I think it could also work as a dessert.

So, what are your favorite ways to prepare and eat peaches, other than the classic eat-a-peach?   

#notallprogressives

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
Re: Peaches!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 04:01:46 PM »
I think I did a creamy peach pasta sauce involving caramelized onion and I think red pepper flakes once when I had some peaches show get left at my house.  I may have to find that again, but I remember it being very, very good.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 11:29:39 PM »
Peach season is June here, I can’t remember if we even had any this year. But I do love them grilled.

Offline Rejaneration

• Passed on to another Brane
  • The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 12:25:52 PM »
Those sound delicious, Doc! I am not a huge fan but love peach cobbler and grilled with prosciutto!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 09:54:43 PM »
We grilled peaches last night with butter, maple,and cayenne.  I put the last peach (not grilled yesterday) on a pizza this evening.  Because why not.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 07:56:06 AM »
We grilled peaches last night with butter, maple,and cayenne.  I put the last peach (not grilled yesterday) on a pizza this evening.  Because why not.

Indeed - why not?  That looks great!  Your peach pasta sauce with caramelized onions sounds intriguing.

#notallprogressives

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 12:50:35 PM »
Dangit, I can't find whatever we did with the peaches that one time.  Maybe it wasn't pasta.  Maybe it was pork chops.  Still pretty sure there was cream and cayenne involved.

I found this though:

Pear, goat cheese, and gruyere pasta
December 28, 2014 at 7:38 PM
I ended up with too much fruit after a fruit basket appeared in my house...anyway, I needed to use some fruit. All measurements are approximate.

2 large Bosc pears, diced
2 oz crumbled goat cheese
3 oz gruyere cut small
5/8 cup white wine (Sauvignon blanc)
2 TBSP butter
Half and half - maybe 1/8 - 1/4 cup?
1-2 cloves worth minced garlic from a jar
3 pieces pre-cooked bacon cut in pieces
Thyme to taste
Cayenne to taste (I used more than I intended and it was perfect!)
Black pepper to taste

I started with pear, butter, garlic, and cayenne, and added the rest once the pear softened,
Served over cooked pasta. I had shells on hand.

Really good.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 12:54:33 PM »

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 08:17:19 AM »
I bought 5 pounds of peaches and am making peach sauce today.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 10:36:38 AM »
I found it!  (and no cayenne, sadly):  http://chrunners.net/forum/index.php?topic=97471.msg2274950#msg2274950

Thanks so much, rocketgirl!  Jersey peaches (freestone!) have just started showing up in our nearby grocery store, so I'll try this, although maybe not with grilled chops.  We're getting a lot of rain this weekend.

#notallprogressives

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 02:08:16 PM »
Jersey Peaches, corn and tomatoes (south jersey) are amazing.

Long Islander's think theirs are the best but I've had both and Jersey's are better.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 08:48:00 AM »
I make a fantastic salad with peaches, ice shrimp (salad shrimp), mint, basil, fresh hot pepper, and lime juice... served with avocado or as a side for grilled fish.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 09:16:26 AM »
I make a fantastic salad with peaches, ice shrimp (salad shrimp), mint, basil, fresh hot pepper, and lime juice... served with avocado or as a side for grilled fish.

Well that sounds yummy. Is it like a salsa, with everything chopped up?

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 09:27:00 AM »
Well that sounds yummy. Is it like a salsa, with everything chopped up?

if I am serving with fish, yes... if I serve it with avocado, I tend to layer avocado slices, peach slices, then shrimp, sprinkle the herbs and sliced pepper, squeeze lime over top

but I have served it with GRILLED avocado like a salsa right over the half avocado

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2018, 09:29:26 AM »
if I am serving with fish, yes... if I serve it with avocado, I tend to layer avocado slices, peach slices, then shrimp, sprinkle the herbs and sliced pepper, squeeze lime over top

but I have served it with GRILLED avocado like a salsa right over the half avocado

I am so hungry after reading that. Definitely going to try this.

I swear, you should write a cookbook. You always offer up the most interesting flavor combos.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 10:44:26 AM »
I swear, you should write a cookbook. You always offer up the most interesting flavor combos.

Seriously.  cg, are you in the food biz in any professional capacity? 

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 02:23:29 PM »
Seriously.  cg, are you in the food biz in any professional capacity? 

nah... lapsed food blogger is as close as I get to being a pro

but I like food, it's my most serious hobby

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2018, 12:24:29 PM »

Very nice! I would be tempted to swap out the salad shrimp and substitute lobster.

I made a peach lassi last weekend: peaches, yogurt, buttermilk, freshly ground cardamom, and a big pinch of kosher salt, i.e., similar to how I make mango lassi. Cardamom works well with peaches.

#notallprogressives

+-SUPPORT US