Author Topic: Favorite New Kitchen Toys?  (Read 4291 times)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Favorite New Kitchen Toys?
« on: May 21, 2020, 10:25:21 PM »
Have you added something to your kitchen and gotten more use out of it than you thought?

I bought a 6 quart Dutch oven a year or so ago to gather bread in. But I find myself using it all the time.  It's just the right size for a lot of things.

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
Re: Favorite New Kitchen Toys?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 12:36:41 AM »
I keep finding new routine stuff to do with the instant pot. The latest was adding yogurt to the weekly rotation. We’re also loving the avocado slicer that OL recommended last fall. I bought some half sheet pans today that I think will get a fair bit of use. Our pizza stone has been getting much more regular use now that we’ve figured out pizza on the grill. I’ve mentioned them before but we use the small (~8x5) cutting boards way more than we ever thought. We have a stack of maybe 8 of them and probably use 5-6/day. That and the collapsible colanders.

I’ve been debating getting some of the reusable silicon bags that eco Ellen (I think?) mentioned. 

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 12:32:59 PM »
I just ordered an insulated carafe, so I can pour my French press coffee into and keep it warm as I work through the pot.  It will be here Saturday and I have high expectations.  (I very much try to limit how much space-taking crap I have in my kitchen.)

I bought some grill mats a while back and have not tried them yet.  At least they were cheap.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 03:03:00 PM »
I would like to get a stick blender. Any suggestions? Can it replace a regular blender?

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 03:04:00 PM »
I use the silicone bags with a sliding seal that replace baggies. I like them a lot.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 06:28:11 PM »
I would like to get a stick blender. Any suggestions? Can it replace a regular blender?
I use my stick blender for soups and small batch items that are too small for my Vitamix. Mine also has a whisk attachment i have used many times, and it makes whipped (Dalgona) coffee in a snap.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 09:09:32 AM »

I have cuisinart. Use it all the time.  Blenders are a pain to clean, so I never used mine. You can take the bottom part of this one off and put it in the dishwasher.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSB-79-Smart-Blender-Stainless/dp/B00AN9UJ68

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 09:51:08 AM »
Air fryer. I use it at least weekly.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 10:34:53 AM »
Yup stick blender is SO much easier to clean than a regular blender. I almost never use my regular one.

We got some new goldtouch nonstick cookie sheets (2 full, one half) and they have been excellent. I hope they hold up.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 04:30:56 PM »
I use my stick blender for soups and small batch items that are too small for my Vitamix. Mine also has a whisk attachment i have used many times, and it makes whipped (Dalgona) coffee in a snap.
What brand is it?

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 04:36:42 PM »
I have cuisinart. Use it all the time.  Blenders are a pain to clean, so I never used mine. You can take the bottom part of this one off and put it in the dishwasher.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSB-79-Smart-Blender-Stainless/dp/B00AN9UJ68
Thanks, that looks good.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 04:53:51 PM »

Have this and love it
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 05:54:36 PM »
I think mine is Cuisinart. Got it at Costco on sale.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2020, 07:00:11 PM »
Air fryer. I use it at least weekly.

Which one did you get?  I'm considering the Ninja Foodi.  They say it's huge, but it would replace an Instant Pot and a slow cooker for me...
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2020, 07:54:37 PM »
I have the Vortex XL air fryer they sell atTarget. Absolutely love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2020, 01:30:52 AM »
Cooking in someone else's kitchen is weird. I'm forever stumped with people having a bunch of fancy gimmicky stuff but not good basics.

My MIL has this decorative peeler corer thing from pampered chef, for example. But it reall sucks as a peeler. Sometimes basic is good!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2020, 09:05:35 AM »

Have this and love it

I had this one, but it broke.  I prefer the cuisinart for the detachable bottom that goes into the DW.

Offline ihop

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2020, 04:05:40 PM »
Mine is a Braun as well.  It is ancient and works great!

Air fryer!  I had no idea how much I would use it. 
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2020, 05:31:47 PM »
OK, what do you all use your air fryer for? And does the ninja thing really work as well as the instant pot for that? I've perfected a bunch of basics in the instant pot, but I'm intrigued. I'm still waiting for radials instant pot air fryer attachment review!

Offline redkitty

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2020, 11:55:17 AM »
I am getting way more use out of my cast iron skillets than I expected. I  mean I have gone my entire adulthood without any and have been fine. But yea, I like them a lot (my grandma used them all the time, but I honestly just assumed it was because that's what she was used to...though I think that is still the case.)

I bought two wilton cookie sheets recently. I really like them, but I don't use them for anything special, I needed to replace some of my aging gross sheets.

I am thinking about buying a stand mixer. Do you all get a lot of use out of that or not? I am iffy on it. again, gone my entire adult life without one. But tried to make pizza dough the other day (yes, I have made it without a beater before) and used my hand mixer. Not a good idea. But if I really wanted to, I have a bread machine that I could use to make pizza dough. I also tend to just use my hand mixer for cookies and frosting (my hand mixer has a very good motor.)

+-SUPPORT US