Author Topic: I’m making risotto, but with sushi rice  (Read 5642 times)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
I’m making risotto, but with sushi rice
« on: April 25, 2020, 07:03:05 PM »
It’s what I have. Also attempting it in the pressure cooker, which I’ve never done before.

I’ll post back and let you know if it came out marvelous or horrible.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Re: I’m making risotto, but with sushi rice
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 07:04:16 PM »
yes please. #covidexcitement
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 08:44:55 PM »
Interesting! Good luck!

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 08:28:08 AM »
Wow, it came out awesome. And so easy!

Here’s the basic recipe I followed:

I had fresh shiitakes instead of dried porcini, I used a little extra butter and sautéed them before the onions. And I used beef broth because it’s what I had. I otherwise followed the recipe exactly.

Oh! If it’s not obvious, I did NOT rinse the rice first like you do for sushi. I got that tip somewhere online.

It was so good and it only took 20 from start to serve. 20 minutes for risotto!! I’m sold on this technique for sure.

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 08:51:15 AM »
Excellent!  I'm glad you discovered how easy it is to prepare risotto in a pressure cooker.   I bought my first pressure cooker, along with Lorna Sass' Cooking Under Pressure in the mid-90s with the primary purposes of preparing risotto and beans.

I use my Instant Pot now.  My favorite risotto recipes are shrimp, garlic, and leek risotto and risotto with smoked mozzarella and sun-dried tomatoes.

#notallprogressives

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 09:38:04 AM »
hmmm, what is this?  I am not doing this. Looks dangerous.

"Quick release the pressure by setting the cooker under cold running water."

I actually planned on making risotto tonight in my rice cooker.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 10:33:27 AM »
hmmm, what is this?  I am not doing this. Looks dangerous.

"Quick release the pressure by setting the cooker under cold running water."

I actually planned on making risotto tonight in my rice cooker.

That won’t work with an instant pot, but that’s how you’d do it with an old school pressure cooker pot. It’s just a metal pot with a rocker on top that controls the pressure, running the pot under cold water is just a matter of moving the pot from the stove to the sink.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 11:02:30 AM »
That won’t work with an instant pot, but that’s how you’d do it with an old school pressure cooker pot. It’s just a metal pot with a rocker on top that controls the pressure, running the pot under cold water is just a matter of moving the pot from the stove to the sink.

Yep.  No more dangerous than moving any hot vessel from one place to another, which, of course, requires caution.

For risotto in the IP, I just do a quick release after 6 minutes at high pressure. 

#notallprogressives

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 12:07:01 PM »
Yep.  No more dangerous than moving any hot vessel from one place to another, which, of course, requires caution.

For risotto in the IP, I just do a quick release after 6 minutes at high pressure. 

Yes, I was thinking IP. If you don;t mind, could you tell me what you do for risotto in IP?

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 12:39:35 PM »
Yes, I was thinking IP. If you don;t mind, could you tell me what you do for risotto in IP?

Happy to do so!

Basic Instant Pot Risotto

• 2 to 3 T olive oil
  • 2 shallots (minced), 1 small to medium onion (finely chopped), or a leek (tough green leaves removed, washed well, sliced lengthwise in half, then sliced thin crosswise)
  • 1 ½ cup Arbrorio rice
  • ½ cup dry white wine
  • 3 to 3 ½ cups hot broth (chicken, vegetable, or seafood)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 T finely chopped flat-leaf parsley

• Heat oil on medium sauté function until just starting to smoke/steam.  Add shallot, onion, or leek and sauté until soft and transluscent, about 3 minutes. Do not brown.
  • Add rice and stir well to coat in oil.
  • Add white wine and stir until wine is nearly absorbed.
  • Add hot broth and stir.
  • Place lid on Instant Pot.  Turn valve to seal.
  • Start High Pressure cook, timer set to 6 minutes.
  • When IP beeps after completion of cooking cycle, use a quick release to bring down the pressure, taking care to avoid the steam. (I use a gadget called a "Steam Boss" that diverts steam away from the underside of my cabinets when I use the quick release.)
  • Remove lid, and turn on low sauté, stirring constantly, for a couple of minutes or so.
  • Add ingredients for variations (see below) and stir well.
  • Add salt and pepper to taste.
  • Add parsley and stir.
  • Serve immediately.

Shrimp (or Lobster) and Garlic Risotto

I use a sliced leek in the risotto for this recipe, and I use Better Than Bouillon Lobster Base (3.5 cups) if I don't have shrimp or lobster stock in the freezer)

For the shrimp or lobster:

• 2 T olive oil
  • 4 to 6 large cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp (or 1 pound or so lobster meat from three 1.5 pound lobsters)

• While the rice is cooking in the IP, heat oil in skillet over medium heat.  When shimmering and hot, add garlic and decrease heat to low.  Sauté garlic until golden.
  • Add shrimp, raise heat to medium, and sauté until shrimp are pink with no signs of rawness; if using lobster, increase heat to medium-low to allow lobster to warm up.
  • Add shellfish/garlic mix to the cooked risotto and mix well.

Sun-dried Tomato and Smoked Mozzarella

I use onion or shallots and vegetable stock for the risotto in this recipe.

• About 1/2 cup or so of chopped sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
  • 1 to 1.5 cups smoked mozzarella cheese, grated

After quick-release for risotto and cooking at low sauté in the IP, add the sun-dried tomatoes and cheese, stirring until the cheese melts.

You could readily add porcini as Bonita did or add sautéd fresh mushrooms, peas, and Parmesan after the risotto is finished cooking.  With the risotto basic recipe, it's easy to be creative!

#notallprogressives

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 02:05:06 PM »
Woohoo!!!  Thank you so much, it looks easy.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2020, 02:45:50 PM »
My mom had one of those and we kids were BANNED from the kitchen when she was using it. I think she seriously worried that the thing was gonna blow!!

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2020, 02:48:32 PM »
Those recipes look great, Doc. And yes, I am SO happy I’ve discovered this technique. I love risotto!!

I think I might be getting asparagus in my veggie box today. Do you think I could incorporate that? I feel like the pressure cooker might pulverize it, so I might just roast it and then add it afterward.

Offline DocBuzzkill

I’m making risotto, but with sushi rice
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2020, 03:07:32 PM »
Yes, add the asparagus afterward. I’ll bet it’ll be tasty!

Or you could sauté some minced garlic in olive oil, add the asparagus (cut in 1 inch sections), add a little stock or water, then cover to steam for 5 min. Add that along with Parmesan cheese to the basic risotto after you pressure cook it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 03:11:10 PM by DocBuzzkill »

#notallprogressives

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2020, 05:53:52 PM »
Trader Joe's used to sell a frozen asparagus risotto that was great.

So, I made the basic recipe with chicken, mushrooms, and some frozen peas.  Stuff that I had home.  Parmesan at the table. It was delicious!!!!! I think this is going to be  made frequently.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2020, 05:56:06 PM »
Trader Joe's used to sell a frozen asparagus risotto that was great.

So, I made the basic recipe with chicken, mushrooms, and some frozen peas.  Stuff that I had home.  Parmesan at the table. It was delicious!!!!! I think this is going to be  made frequently.

Yay!! I'm definitely doing it all the time now.

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2020, 09:34:05 AM »
Risotto in the IP is awesome!  So easy and delicious.  Peas and shrimp are a favorite in this house. 
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2020, 12:05:57 AM »
Im glad you posted about using sushi rice.

I wanted to make the instant pot risotto for my inlaws but went to 3 stores and no arborio rice to be found. At store #3 I did find sushi rice. It was perfect. The amount of water cooked the rice but I added added another 1.5 cups of rice.

The sushi rice was a perfect sub and I wouldn't have thought of it.

The risotto was a big hit & super easy.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2020, 08:06:24 AM »
Im glad you posted about using sushi rice.

I wanted to make the instant pot risotto for my inlaws but went to 3 stores and no arborio rice to be found. At store #3 I did find sushi rice. It was perfect. The amount of water cooked the rice but I added added another 1.5 cups of rice.

The sushi rice was a perfect sub and I wouldn't have thought of it.

The risotto was a big hit & super easy.

They are both short grain rice, so it should work out.

I wonder about the shortage in risotto rice that is being reported.  I had bought 5 pounds in December, and haven't used very much.

Offline i am party

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2020, 06:19:51 PM »
Happy to do so!

Basic Instant Pot Risotto

• 2 to 3 T olive oil
  • 2 shallots (minced), 1 small to medium onion (finely chopped), or a leek (tough green leaves removed, washed well, sliced lengthwise in half, then sliced thin crosswise)
  • 1 ½ cup Arbrorio rice
  • ½ cup dry white wine
  • 3 to 3 ½ cups hot broth (chicken, vegetable, or seafood)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 T finely chopped flat-leaf parsley

• Heat oil on medium sauté function until just starting to smoke/steam.  Add shallot, onion, or leek and sauté until soft and transluscent, about 3 minutes. Do not brown.
  • Add rice and stir well to coat in oil.
  • Add white wine and stir until wine is nearly absorbed.
  • Add hot broth and stir.
  • Place lid on Instant Pot.  Turn valve to seal.
  • Start High Pressure cook, timer set to 6 minutes.
  • When IP beeps after completion of cooking cycle, use a quick release to bring down the pressure, taking care to avoid the steam. (I use a gadget called a "Steam Boss" that diverts steam away from the underside of my cabinets when I use the quick release.)
  • Remove lid, and turn on low sauté, stirring constantly, for a couple of minutes or so.
  • Add ingredients for variations (see below) and stir well.
  • Add salt and pepper to taste.
  • Add parsley and stir.
  • Serve immediately.

Shrimp (or Lobster) and Garlic Risotto

I use a sliced leek in the risotto for this recipe, and I use Better Than Bouillon Lobster Base (3.5 cups) if I don't have shrimp or lobster stock in the freezer)

For the shrimp or lobster:

• 2 T olive oil
  • 4 to 6 large cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp (or 1 pound or so lobster meat from three 1.5 pound lobsters)

• While the rice is cooking in the IP, heat oil in skillet over medium heat.  When shimmering and hot, add garlic and decrease heat to low.  Sauté garlic until golden.
  • Add shrimp, raise heat to medium, and sauté until shrimp are pink with no signs of rawness; if using lobster, increase heat to medium-low to allow lobster to warm up.
  • Add shellfish/garlic mix to the cooked risotto and mix well.

Sun-dried Tomato and Smoked Mozzarella

I use onion or shallots and vegetable stock for the risotto in this recipe.

• About 1/2 cup or so of chopped sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
  • 1 to 1.5 cups smoked mozzarella cheese, grated

After quick-release for risotto and cooking at low sauté in the IP, add the sun-dried tomatoes and cheese, stirring until the cheese melts.

You could readily add porcini as Bonita did or add sautéd fresh mushrooms, peas, and Parmesan after the risotto is finished cooking.  With the risotto basic recipe, it's easy to be creative!

This will be my first IP attempt. I'll report back Monday after giving it a go.

+-SUPPORT US