Author Topic: HELPPPPPP!!!!  (Read 2299 times)

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
HELPPPPPP!!!!
« on: April 16, 2020, 12:28:03 PM »
I got a produce box from a whole seller. I'm already overwhelmed and have no idea what to do with most of it. HELP!

I'm limited in what I have in the house for seasonings, salt, pepper, olive oil, red pepper flakes, garlic, frozen onions. I need to figure out how to roast beets, but I have no goat cheese, which is really what makes them tasty.

kale
cantelope
pineapple
apples
oranges
limes
iceberg lettuce
mixed greens
a ton of jalapenos
beets
cucumber
zucchini
potatoes

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
Re: HELPPPPPP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 12:35:03 PM »
If you have a smoker, smoke the jalapenos.  They are amazing.  (I have a bunch in the freezer).
Jalapenos are also good if you halve, strip out the seeds, and fill with cream cheese & honey & roast/bake in the oven.

I haven't had any kale that I like, but apparently if you massage it (whatever that means), that is the trick to making it do things. 

Cantaloupe is good sliced & drizzled with a bit of olive oil, honey, and sprinkle on some thyme.  It's better if you have some goat cheese too though.

Cucumber is good sliced sliced and muddled with a bit of mint and simple syrup with club soda & maybe a splash of lime- sort of like a virgin cucumber mojito.  There's always the salad with cucumber, vinegar, & onion.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline JBM

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 12:39:38 PM »
No smoker and there is literally 100 little jalapenos.

I can handle the fruit, just eat it as is.

Kale - I don't know what this massage thing is, but need to look into it. I don't like it in general with the curly texture.

I can maybe do some sort of lettuce wraps with the iceberg as I have some ground meat in the freezer

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 12:40:40 PM »
the easiest method of prep (i find) for beets is to cut off the tops (save those for salad or pesto or saute), scrub off any discernible dirt, oil the outers a bit, and toss them into a high sided baking dish.  cover with foil.  roast.  they're cooked when they're easily pierced with a fork.  and they're very good with just a bit of homemade vinaigrette.  or sliced thin and served on good toast.

i would just eat the fruit raw/fresh.  although you could make a pineapple salsa with some of the jalapeno.

mixed greens can be used in salad, tossed with pasta, sauteed, used to make pesto (you can make pesto with anything), added to sandwiches

i will just eat slices of cucumber until they're gone.  but my husband is a big fan of this salad : https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015023-cucumber-salad-with-soy-ginger-and-garlic (he adds chopped peanuts)

how many zucchini?  slice 1-2 zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.  chop up another zucchini and cook with some minced garlic, onion, crushed tomato, maybe ground turkey or lamb or beef, some of those mixed greens, pinch of cinnamon, oregano, paprika, salt, pepper.  stuff into the deseeded halves, top with some kind of cheese (parm, feta, etc) and bake.

iceberg = wedge salad

potatoes.  roast, mash, salad.

Offline JBM

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 12:43:30 PM »

Adding picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 12:44:47 PM »
Wow that is a TON of produce!!

Offline JBM

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 12:45:57 PM »
Wow that is a TON of produce!!
For $25 !!!!!

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 01:05:42 PM »
Toss cubed roasted beets and potatoes with cubed cucumber, olive oil, salt and pepper. Balsamic vinegar if you have it. Or feta cheese if you have it.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 01:08:33 PM »
Nice!  Don't be stressed - you can always share some if you can't get through it/don't want all of it. Lots of great ideas already.

My family fights over kale chips. No need to massage for those. Wash well, pull the leaves from the ribs (this becomes easy the more you do) and mix w/ some olive oil and salt. Bake in a 325 oven patiently. I think it takes about 15 min IIRC but you can always put it in for 10 and check in 5 min intervals. SUPER good.

Agree with witchy on the beets. You can always do a root vegetable roast with some potatoes, beets and any other root veg you have and add chicken sausage (that's what you like to eat I think) afterward
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 01:23:58 PM »
If you've got some rum I know what to do with that pineapple...

Offline JBM

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 02:03:16 PM »
 :nails:
If you've got some rum I know what to do with that pineapple...
there is rum leftover from last weekend's mai tais. I was told to use the pineapple in a smoothie with the kale.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 02:30:00 PM »
There does not seem to be much of a theme in the package.  All those potatoes and jalapenos...

I like to cube potatoes, butternut squash, and beets and put them in the slow cooker with some EVOO and garlic and spices.

Offline wombleatwimbledon

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 04:44:19 PM »
Can you freeze jalapeños like you can chillies?

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 05:05:22 PM »
I copied this from Rick Bayless' website, where he serves it with chicken thighs. https://www.rickbayless.com/a-new-tacotuesday-obsession-crispy-chicken-thighs-with-creamy-jalapeno-salsa/I haven't tried it, but his recipes have always turned out amazingly for me.

CREAMY JALAPEÑO SALSA
3 fresh jalapeno chiles , stems removed
6 whole garlic cloves
1 cup olive oil
 Juice of one lime
 Salt
 A few sprigs cilantro

In a small sauce pot set over high heat, add the jalapeños, garlic, salt and 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until garlic is soft, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.  Drain the chiles and garlic, then chop the chiles into smaller pieces.  Place the chopped chiles and garlic in a blender jar and blend at a medium speed. While the blender is running, slowly add in the olive oil. Add a few sprigs of cilantro, lime and salt, about 1/2 teaspoon and blend.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2020, 05:27:44 PM »
There does not seem to be much of a theme in the package.  All those potatoes and jalapenos...

I like to cube potatoes, butternut squash, and beets and put them in the slow cooker with some EVOO and garlic and spices.

My former MIL used to make a cheesy potato casserole with jalapenos in it.  (My former FIL had a lot of food allergies, particularly with garlic & onion, so she frequently used hot peppers to keep these things from being bland.  The casserole was tasty.)
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline JBM

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2020, 06:30:58 PM »
They’re not jalapeños. Probably shishito. No heat to them.

I made ground beef tacos using the lettuce for wraps. And beets are in the oven roasting. Kale is prepped for chips but still too wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2020, 09:24:00 PM »
love shishitos!  blistered w/ a little sesame oil is perfect.  with sriracha cream sauce if you're feeling fancy.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2020, 09:42:25 PM »
love shishitos!  blistered w/ a little sesame oil is perfect.  with sriracha cream sauce if you're feeling fancy.

yes, shishitos are delicious.  we char them and serve with a very garlic heavy aioli.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2020, 10:00:28 PM »

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2020, 11:43:02 PM »
This is a yummy kale salad. You can skip the Brussels sprouts.  Any nuts will do. The lime will be fine in place of the lemon. Use any sharp cheese. Bonus points for using an apple also. https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/winter-crunch-salad

We like this one too.
https://www.101cookbooks.com/genius-kale-salad/

Here is another kale salad we like that uses an apple. I usually use cheddar in this salad. https://tiffanithiessen.com/fall-panzanella/

+-SUPPORT US