Author Topic: Sourdough  (Read 59028 times)

Online Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
Re: Sourdough
« Reply #320 on: May 23, 2020, 01:47:15 PM »
Has anyone found a good soft sourdough recipe, like the milk bread?

Online Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #321 on: May 28, 2020, 12:08:57 PM »
These cookies are really good. Good way to use discard. https://www.eatthelove.com/sourdough-chocolate-chip-cookies/

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #322 on: May 30, 2020, 03:23:01 PM »
Do you have a recipe for that one? Gorgeous!

I used this as a base recipe, sort of, lol.  Most important is the consistency of the dough going in the pan, so even though there is a recipe linked in the description, watch the video to see the dough at that point.

https://youtu.be/vYASHBSbiJ8

Offline CheryG

« Reply #323 on: July 18, 2020, 02:52:39 PM »
This is my latest sourdough project- to use a bit of the starter to "ferment" veggies before adding them to the dough.  My first batch was carrots and I added some dill before baking.  Should have let the carrots ferment longer, *someone* forgot to grate them earlier.  Oops! But still wicked yum. Gonna try some red cabbage when the weather cools down again.

Not the best pic, but whatevs.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCyvzGTghEg/?igshid=1hsw1l95f4ewi

Offline bookworm1

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #324 on: October 06, 2020, 04:18:04 PM »
I have given up on sourdough. No matter what I try I end up with funky mold after a few weeks. I think there is something in the air in my house. Instead my favorite is a no knead long ferment bread where you let it sit somewhere between 12 and 18 ish hours. Gets a bit of the sourdough chewy/tanginess, but is almost effortless.

I also found a great no knead sandwich bread recipe that takes almost no time to make, mix in the stand mixer and about a 40 minute rise before going in the oven. It is in the America's Test Kitchen Bread Illustrated. Yesterday I made a honey and purple barley flour loaf. I picked up the barley flour at the farmers market. Makes for tasty sandwiches.

Online Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #325 on: March 10, 2021, 12:27:36 PM »
This is a question for general bread baking. Should the rising be before baking or in the oven? Or does it depend on the type of bread?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #326 on: March 10, 2021, 02:03:12 PM »
For a yeast bread, I think the answer is always: both.

Online Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #327 on: March 10, 2021, 09:12:19 PM »
For a yeast bread, I think the answer is always: both.
So, how do I know when it’s risen enough? And do I still slice the top before putting g it on the oven?

Offline CheryG

« Reply #328 on: May 23, 2021, 09:45:05 AM »
So, how do I know when it’s risen enough? And do I still slice the top before putting g it on the oven?

Sorry I missed this! The answer for yeast bread is definitely both.  And how to tell is a bit of a mystery as well as science.  I go by feel.  Some people use what's called the poke test- as in you poke the bread and watch how it responds.  https://www.bonappetit.com/story/the-poke-test

I gently squeeze it and depending on the hydration am looking for a certain feel.  My fridge runs cold so if I'm going to retard a dough I make sure it's risen to just about the point where I would put it in the oven before I put it in the fridge and then I'll put it straight into a hot oven from the fridge.

The second rise, or oven spring, is from the heat related expansion of the gases the yeast has created by rising.  At least, when those gases are also trapped in the balloon that the gluten creates.

Right now I'm all about the discard tortillas.  Sooooo good!

Online Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #329 on: May 23, 2021, 04:42:03 PM »
Sorry I missed this! The answer for yeast bread is definitely both.  And how to tell is a bit of a mystery as well as science.  I go by feel.  Some people use what's called the poke test- as in you poke the bread and watch how it responds.  https://www.bonappetit.com/story/the-poke-test

I gently squeeze it and depending on the hydration am looking for a certain feel.  My fridge runs cold so if I'm going to retard a dough I make sure it's risen to just about the point where I would put it in the oven before I put it in the fridge and then I'll put it straight into a hot oven from the fridge.

The second rise, or oven spring, is from the heat related expansion of the gases the yeast has created by rising.  At least, when those gases are also trapped in the balloon that the gluten creates.

Right now I'm all about the discard tortillas.  Sooooo good!
Thanks, that helps.  I haven't been baking for a while now but may try something tomorrow.

What about these tortillas??

Offline CheryG

« Reply #330 on: May 23, 2021, 06:58:58 PM »
I use:
1.5C bread flour
1 1/4t salt
3T olive oil
100g water
100g discard

Knead
Divide into balls (6)
Let rest at least 30 minutes
Roll until super thin
Cook on a HOT skillet not long on each side.

Sooo good.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #331 on: May 24, 2021, 06:56:33 PM »
Today's fun were little pepperoni rolls. I used my everyday sourdough bread recipe divided into 70g balls and stuffed sticks of pepperoni into them. I could have used more pepperoni, :(

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPRcCOlgya-/?utm_medium=copy_link

+-SUPPORT US