Author Topic: Training for the Uphill Athlete  (Read 2509 times)

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
Training for the Uphill Athlete
« on: December 10, 2019, 06:47:55 PM »
Has anyone read it? I'm on pg 171 And LOVING it.  Admittedly, I don't read a lot, or really any, in depth running books, but this one seems fantastic.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
Re: Training for the Uphill Athlete
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 07:28:59 PM »
No but I had dinner with Scott Johnston and friends a couple nights at Nordic junior nationals about 5 years ago. He coached Olympic stars Sadie and Eric Bjornsen when they were junior level skiers, was still head of the development program in Washington State. He had a lot to say.

I plan to get the book.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 07:30:38 PM »
Not yet.  I just finished "How Bad Do You Want It" by Matt Fitzgerald and am on to a tween girl parenting book (Tangled), but maybe I'll add this one into the rotation after I finish Tangled.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline CheryG

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 06:14:35 AM »
That's so cool Coyote!

I'm enjoying it because it's (so far) written in a way I can understand.  I really appreciated and identified with the story in the first paragraph about overtraining, and not training smartly.

So far it really doesn't seem to stray too far from a basic 80/20, I think, and references Maffetone frequently.  Not done with it yet, so I won't rush to judgment about that.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 06:56:41 AM »
diablita, what did you think of "How Bad Do You Want It"?

Offline TK

• Fruit Stand
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 11:20:00 AM »
Not yet.  I just finished "How Bad Do You Want It" by Matt Fitzgerald and am on to a tween girl parenting book (Tangled), but maybe I'll add this one into the rotation after I finish Tangled.

Can you tell me what you think of Untangled?  I'm thinking it could be useful for us, KT is 12 and can really be a challenge. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 11:42:14 AM »
I enjoyed listening to How Bad Do You Wanted.  Like many books, could have been summed up with much less prose.  But it was good and worth it given that I just listened while in the car.

I LOVED Untangled.  It's something I'm sure I'll go back to as a resource many times in the future and DH is reading it now.  I love the way she frames things and actually the author narrates the apple book and does a fantastic job of that, too.  I listened to while driving to/from the Kiawah Island Marathon last month. Highly recommend.  I plan to read Under Pressure (another of her books) soon.

Her school (an all-girls middle school specifically focused on empowering girls to be their best) also just recommended The Confidence Code for Girls so I have that on the way for DD.  Here's a bit about it:
https://www.amightygirl.com/blog?p=27408&fbclid=IwAR0SCKhrSNITA6p9OyZyObRddNVA2rRCZ3bh4uMZpRa6Tg6m5ZiFyJO7sno
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline CheryG

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 02:23:58 PM »
Ok.  I bought it and am only a few chapters in, so I'm hoping it all comes together better because so far it's a mess, lol.

+-SUPPORT US