Author Topic: Distance running nutrition  (Read 1906 times)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Distance running nutrition
« on: December 10, 2019, 02:52:35 PM »
Curious about how others handle fueling for long distance* races/runs.  Would you mind sharing with me the distance, strategy/frequency and brand you use?

I rarely use anything (including liquids) on runs shorter than 2 hours.  Up until the recent training cycle I used to park my car in a spot where I could swing by and have a few sips of a liquid but with all the volume this summer I got used to carrying a handheld.

I'm used to taking a gel every hour.  I prefer Maurten (w/ and w/o caffeine), huma and untapped but I'm not that picky.  I can't stand the heavy sweet gels but will take them if they're all that's available.  The maurten is nice because they can be taken w/o water (though I try to have water).

I'm thinking for marathons I may need to take them a bit more frequently so Wilson, your schedule sounds better.  And for hydration I mostly drink water or sometimes Nuun, especially when it's hot out. 

For an upcoming trail 50K I'll probably have at least one untapped waffle out on the course (plus the gels)and will likely eat some aid station food like pretzels.  Not sure I'll drink the Fireball they always offer though. :)

(*for our purposes, distance is any distance that requires you to use fuel for your race/run)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 07:20:22 PM by diablita »
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
Re: Distance running nutrition
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 03:08:33 PM »
For any workout under 2 hours I don't take any gels but will drink, preferably sport drink, every 45 minutes or so if I can.

Longer than 2 hours I'll take a gel before and once every 45 minutes to hour. Not very often that I go over 2.5 hours, and then only for marathon training.

I have started taking gels for half marathon, even though I'm at 80 minutes or so on those. Don't think it hurts and might help. So one gel 15 minutes before and one at 45 minutes. For the marathon, more or less as directed, 1 before and then at 45 to 50 minute intervals. I think I ran into trouble at Boston in the rain and cold because I lost 2 of them and didn't take enough (3 total: before, at 9 miles and 17 miles), and really paid a price over the last 45 minutes.

I don't like sugary drinks, but if aid stations have only Gatorade I'll alternate that with water (for the electrolytes). I use Nuun for training but actually like Scratch better, but it's messy; so usually go with Nuun which is good but makes my stomach a little more queasy than Scratch.

I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 06:12:06 PM »
I'm very much a fat burner and seem to do best with little to no food for hiking/running up to the 6 hour mark. I think I ran Circumburke on 200 calories. 

However, I would like to be able to eat a little more without wanting to crawl off and take a nap, so I've been trying to run closer to my mealtimes. I think it's working, I'm not feeling so dead. 

Probably not helpful to you at all, lol. I'm not the typical bonks without food or gets gastro distress type of runner.  I just want to nap.

Offline SnarlyMarly

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 07:25:43 AM »
I was always a minimalist and it was probably was okay, except for not considering the water thing.   No nutrition except long, hard Paced runs. 

When I raced marathons, I carried 4-5 gels and never took them until 16 miles in.  Half’s, one gel at mile 8-9.  But carried 2-3.

I am still a minimalist for the run.  This seems to work okay with me as long as I eat well on my bike.  On race morning if I have trouble with breakfast I drink carbohydrates.  I would never consider gels  before or early on in any race.   I guess I have lots of fat to burn😗

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 08:11:28 AM »
That's what baffles me, individual metabolisms.  My DH NEEDS to eat when we hike or won't be able to hike strong. He also drinks a tremendous amount compared to me. He gets energized after a food break, I slow down.

I call him Sir Piss A Lot, but I can't fault it because he's putting in the same effort.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 10:51:45 AM »
People will look at me askance because of my sprinting, but I have run 9 marathons, doncha know.  For > 2 hours, a gu/gel every 45 minutes. Any flavor except chocolate.  Also, a banana or orange slices somewhere along the way. And for breakfast (1-2 hours before the run), lo-fat frosted Pop Tarts.  :).  Very high in carbs and tasty. 

Drinks - similar to Coyote, a mix of water and Gatorade during the run.  Chocolate milk afterwards.
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 11:21:11 AM »
the race I'm running this weekend will have orange slices, bananas and twizzlers out on the course but I don't think I'll chance eating those while racing (if I end up running at a decent speed)
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 12:42:38 PM »
Caffeine.
250 mg before a race, and will take some for longer races (half and up).
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 01:04:58 PM »
Caffeine.
250 mg before a race, and will take some for longer races (half and up).

Yes!  Many Gus have caffeine of course.  I've also popped a Vivarin mid marathon.   
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline HobbyJogger

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 11:17:48 PM »
Boiled potatoes dipped in salt have been a staple at longer races for decades.
Radical Jogger

+-SUPPORT US