Author Topic: Anyone a Winter Runner only?  (Read 7883 times)

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Anyone a Winter Runner only?
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2019, 01:56:47 PM »
  How do these compare with Yak Traks?  I used microspikes for hiking, both the regular and the sharper Hillsounds, but I have not tried the nanos.  I use yak traks but find them annoying.

Which Yaktrax?  I'm of the opinion that the coil ones are useless.

Offline roadstrailstris

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2019, 01:58:00 PM »
I love gear shopping.

What exactly do you want in a jacket?  Should it be light and windbreaking over a decent long sleeve layer?  Or do you like to wear a thin top and a warmer jacket?  Do you get cold everywhere?  My limbs don't get as cold so I'm fine with a vest and good gloves. 

Right now I run in a very lightweight nylon jacket with a long sleeve layer underneath and it isn't warm enough for really cold days- I'll spend at least the first half of the run freezing. Maybe I should look into a good vest, though. I've never been a vest runner before. Obviously, I don't want to overheat, but if I'm running and it's below freezing I need something to keep me warmer than my thin nylon jacket.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2019, 02:03:09 PM »
Gotcha.  It's a fine line because if you wear so much warmth that you sweat on an especially cold day, it'll make you colder.

I love this vest: https://www.oiselle.com/shop/outerwear/crest-vest
I also have one from REI that I bought a million years ago but I don't see it on their site.  The other nice thing about running with a vest is all the pockets.  And for a jacket I wear this and it's warm but not as warm as the vests: https://www.oiselle.com/shop/outerwear/kara-full-zip-jacket
I like the jacket for really cold track days where I'm ready to take it off after warm up laps.

"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline roadstrailstris

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2019, 02:06:52 PM »
Gotcha.  It's a fine line because if you wear so much warmth that you sweat on an especially cold day, it'll make you colder.

I love this vest: https://www.oiselle.com/shop/outerwear/crest-vest
I also have one from REI that I bought a million years ago but I don't see it on their site.  The other nice thing about running with a vest is all the pockets.  And for a jacket I wear this and it's warm but not as warm as the vests: https://www.oiselle.com/shop/outerwear/kara-full-zip-jacket
I like the jacket for really cold track days where I'm ready to take it off after warm up laps.

Thanks!!

Offline CheryG

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2019, 02:14:29 PM »
My layering kinda goes like this:

Around 30F- long sleeve tech shirt with windblock and slightly insulated vest.

Around 20F- long sleeve New Balance softshell jacket, long sleeve tech shirt

Around 10F- thin nylon jacket over thin long sleeve polarfleece over tech T

Around 0 and below- thicker nylon jacket over thicker polarfleece over thicker long sleeve tech shirt.

I can give no advice as to actual items as most of my stuff is soooo old.  I love Poshmark for gear on the cheap.

Except... I very much love Patagonia R1 fleece for super cold runs.

Offline lamerun

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2019, 02:16:16 PM »
Which Yaktrax?  I'm of the opinion that the coil ones are useless.

I don't know the name; they have coils, which usually break eventually, and then they  trip me. They also have very tiny spikes under the sole. Kind of a nuisance to put on also.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2019, 02:21:00 PM »
This is the vest I have. It looks dorky, but I love it because it has the perfect thickness.  I use it a lot.
https://posh.mk/An0gPjHt91

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2019, 02:25:51 PM »
Well now I'm for sure signing up for this race so I can buy me some new winter gear!  I've got loads of winter clothes but will definitely be getting those spikes. 

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2019, 02:39:00 PM »
It is a struggle to run in the winter when it is cold and dark.  I am cold during my warmup. But heat is harder than used to be.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2019, 02:44:12 PM »
In before the move to Running.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2019, 05:16:59 PM »
I run year around. But XC ski more in the winter and used to do that almost exclusively. Now run 5 or 6 days a week, ski once on average. I use small hex screws in my shoes for traction on icy days and if it's really bad will run on the treadmill.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2019, 05:28:23 PM »
I'll do a lot of treadmill running, but want to be able to get on the trails too.  I might get a set of the hardcore spikes along with the other ones.  I can't bring myself to do the screw thing for some reason. 

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2019, 05:33:31 PM »
I don't work in the summer and winter here is a cold smoggy hellhole.   That dictates my fitness schedule pretty easily.  We have a treadmill upstairs in our building that I try to get on a reasonable amount of times in the winter for the sake of maintenance.  I'll usually watch a period of a bruins hockey game which can range from 30-45 minutes and challenge myself to see how far I can go in that time, which is a nice mental game to keep me going. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2019, 06:48:49 PM »
someone posted these on FB today:

https://icebug.com/grip

Pricey but maybe worth it for safety?
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline CheryG

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2019, 07:28:09 PM »
The icebugs seem like overkill to me.  And I even live on the ice coast.  I only need studs a few times a year running on dirt roads. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2019, 07:36:47 PM »
Yeah it's definitely not a need for me.  I trained throughout the winter last year and the few times our roads were iced over I went to the outlet mall.  The perimeter road is exactly one mile around and well maintained no matter what the weather.  It's boring but works.

The BEST is that the NPS closes the flattish Blue Ridge Parkway corridor in Asheville that's almost always open.  There is nothing better than getting into ankle/knee deep snow on the parkway, especially overlooking the French Broad River and some of the local creeks.  :heartbeat:

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2019, 07:41:32 PM »
I've twice broken my ankle while running on ice :D  I want me some iron spikes!

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Anyone a Winter Runner only?
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2019, 07:42:03 PM »
I like running in the winter, if it’s daylight and I have a dry/snow free surface to run on. It’s hard for me to rally when it’s cold, but once I get out there I enjoy it.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2019, 07:52:05 PM »

ouch!  You deal with a little more ice than I do  :d

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2019, 08:15:03 PM »

Hillsound makes some great ones. 

+-SUPPORT US