Author Topic: Anyone a Winter Runner only?  (Read 7209 times)

Offline RioG

• The Runners
Anyone a Winter Runner only?
« on: December 04, 2019, 11:27:58 AM »
I seem to get my running motivation in the winter.  I just saw that a trail race I've done a few times has eliminated their 25k distance and replaced it with a 20.  It's a relatively easy double track with some hills. Nothing like the hellacious singletrack death march 25k I did last fall.

I'll be starting from scratch since I haven't run much at all lately.

Anyway, just curious.  Spring and summer and fall have so many competing priorities whereas winter... there's so little to do (no garden or outside work).

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
Re: Anyone a Winter Runner only?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 11:42:27 AM »
I used to love those slushy 20 mile winter long runs.  Lately my house flipping has been taking up all my spare time and energy.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 12:01:01 PM »
Cant really run here in the summer since its 110 for 6 months of the year but this year I haven't been a winter runner either.

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 12:14:37 PM »
Summer here is TM only, unless you're a running machine like Rochey.

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 12:38:14 PM »
Not really.  I love being able to run at night without a headlamp.  I love how beautiful it is outside. 

But for the most part the trails are shut down for running, which sucks. Long runs below 0F are challenging, esp because I usually have a headwind on the second half of my runs.

Ice under snow sucks.

I bought some new spikes this year, hoping they run better than my old ones.  The old ones gripped fine but would always strain my plantar fascia a little.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 12:42:42 PM »
Not really.  I love being able to run at night without a headlamp.  I love how beautiful it is outside. 

But for the most part the trails are shut down for running, which sucks. Long runs below 0F are challenging, esp because I usually have a headwind on the second half of my runs.

Ice under snow sucks.

I bought some new spikes this year, hoping they run better than my old ones.  The old ones gripped fine but would always strain my plantar fascia a little.
I want to look into spikes - any recommendations?  The trails here aren't technical at all, but do get icy.

I love running at night in the winter, though now I have to drive to town to do it.

Offline roadstrailstris

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 12:43:46 PM »
I'm not a winter runner only, but I'll jump on the asking for recs bandwagon- I really need a new winter running jacket and so far can't find anything. Suggestions?

Offline CheryG

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 12:50:31 PM »
I want to look into spikes - any recommendations?  The trails here aren't technical at all, but do get icy.

I love running at night in the winter, though now I have to drive to town to do it.

My old ones are the Stabilicers, sport version. They grip super well. Sometimes they pop off when hiking.

I just bought these:
Kahtoola NANOspikes Footwear Traction - Black XS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TOYEBSK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ag.5DbBJGDEBG

I also have their crampon version for hiking, and they're great.

Offline jcumming

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 12:51:00 PM »
I remember a thread here or on a predecessor where  a few people said they would never run in the cold and that 70F was cold. It sort of cracked me up as  studies indicated that about 50F was the optimum temperature for running performance and they bailed when, at best, they were moderately overheating.

I never minded cold but I really hated "slush" running.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 12:54:19 PM »
My old ones are the Stabilicers, sport version. They grip super well. Sometimes they pop off when hiking.

I just bought these:
Kahtoola NANOspikes Footwear Traction - Black XS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TOYEBSK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ag.5DbBJGDEBG

Do they really work?  They look so... innocuous!

Offline morefoolyou

• The Runners
  • now i'm trying to get back
    • redShirt Union
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 01:19:48 PM »
fair weather friend here. literally.
The scientific consensus might, of course, be wrong. If the history of science teaches anything, it is humility. But our grandchildren will surely blame us if they find that we understood the reality of climate change and failed to do anything about it.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 01:21:40 PM »
Do they really work?  They look so... innocuous!

I think they'll be perfect for the days when the whole road is moderate ice. We get that a lot.  The tips of the spikes are very much like the tap in studs for horse shoes- a very hard, picky steel.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 01:22:19 PM »

http://chrunners.net/forum/index.php?topic=101315.msg2390018#msg2390018

Offline wombleatwimbledon

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 01:23:29 PM »

I just bought these:

Have you used them on purely icy conditions as well? We don’t get so much snow as days upon days of hard frosts that never thaw.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 01:30:17 PM »
I'm not a winter runner only, but I'll jump on the asking for recs bandwagon- I really need a new winter running jacket and so far can't find anything. Suggestions?

I love gear shopping.

What exactly do you want in a jacket?  Should it be light and windbreaking over a decent long sleeve layer?  Or do you like to wear a thin top and a warmer jacket?  Do you get cold everywhere?  My limbs don't get as cold so I'm fine with a vest and good gloves. 
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 01:30:36 PM »
I'm not winter only but I don't like to run in heat so winter running is my fave
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline CheryG

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2019, 01:32:57 PM »
Have you used them on purely icy conditions as well? We don’t get so much snow as days upon days of hard frosts that never thaw.

The stablicers I have.  Totally grippy and sharp.
STABILicers Sport Lightweight Serious Traction Cleat, Blue/Black, X-Small https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Y8WBB4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_US.5DbJVFND69

I see that they now include a strap to keep them from popping off. That would help a lot, but I only had issues on the steeps while hiking.

I haven't tried the screws yet, there's a trail shoe out there (Saucony??) that provides spots for them on the soles.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2019, 01:34:41 PM »
I love everything about winter, running included.  The problem with sprint training is that tracks are unusable in the snow and roads are unreliable (ice and slush just not good for sprinting).  Sadly, I have to join an indoor track facility for quality sprint training. 

For distance running, using 1 1/4 inch screws are great for traction on ice. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 01:39:54 PM by Arrojo »
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline lamerun

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2019, 01:44:49 PM »
I think they'll be perfect for the days when the whole road is moderate ice. We get that a lot.  The tips of the spikes are very much like the tap in studs for horse shoes- a very hard, picky steel.
  How do these compare with Yak Traks?  I used microspikes for hiking, both the regular and the sharper Hillsounds, but I have not tried the nanos.  I use yak traks but find them annoying.

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2019, 01:55:53 PM »
I have Kahtoola spikes. I don't get to use them much. I have had an icy trail run where they were perfect. It's so great to be tromping over ice and not worry about falling. They do something where they pull on my shoe and create a blister on the side of my foot though which is not normal. I'm hoping to use them in January for an untimed trail race.

RTT - I have a couple of jackets depending on the weather. I have one that is what I call my 'scuba' jacket. That's my under 25 degrees jacket with a warm layer underneath. I think it's Brooks from a few years ago. I also have a Nike jacket that has wind protection, but also some fleece like panels.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2019, 01:56:47 PM »
  How do these compare with Yak Traks?  I used microspikes for hiking, both the regular and the sharper Hillsounds, but I have not tried the nanos.  I use yak traks but find them annoying.

Which Yaktrax?  I'm of the opinion that the coil ones are useless.

Offline roadstrailstris

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2019, 01:58:00 PM »
I love gear shopping.

What exactly do you want in a jacket?  Should it be light and windbreaking over a decent long sleeve layer?  Or do you like to wear a thin top and a warmer jacket?  Do you get cold everywhere?  My limbs don't get as cold so I'm fine with a vest and good gloves. 

Right now I run in a very lightweight nylon jacket with a long sleeve layer underneath and it isn't warm enough for really cold days- I'll spend at least the first half of the run freezing. Maybe I should look into a good vest, though. I've never been a vest runner before. Obviously, I don't want to overheat, but if I'm running and it's below freezing I need something to keep me warmer than my thin nylon jacket.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2019, 02:03:09 PM »
Gotcha.  It's a fine line because if you wear so much warmth that you sweat on an especially cold day, it'll make you colder.

I love this vest: https://www.oiselle.com/shop/outerwear/crest-vest
I also have one from REI that I bought a million years ago but I don't see it on their site.  The other nice thing about running with a vest is all the pockets.  And for a jacket I wear this and it's warm but not as warm as the vests: https://www.oiselle.com/shop/outerwear/kara-full-zip-jacket
I like the jacket for really cold track days where I'm ready to take it off after warm up laps.

Offline roadstrailstris

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2019, 02:06:52 PM »
Gotcha.  It's a fine line because if you wear so much warmth that you sweat on an especially cold day, it'll make you colder.

I love this vest: https://www.oiselle.com/shop/outerwear/crest-vest
I also have one from REI that I bought a million years ago but I don't see it on their site.  The other nice thing about running with a vest is all the pockets.  And for a jacket I wear this and it's warm but not as warm as the vests: https://www.oiselle.com/shop/outerwear/kara-full-zip-jacket
I like the jacket for really cold track days where I'm ready to take it off after warm up laps.

Thanks!!

Offline CheryG

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2019, 02:14:29 PM »
My layering kinda goes like this:

Around 30F- long sleeve tech shirt with windblock and slightly insulated vest.

Around 20F- long sleeve New Balance softshell jacket, long sleeve tech shirt

Around 10F- thin nylon jacket over thin long sleeve polarfleece over tech T

Around 0 and below- thicker nylon jacket over thicker polarfleece over thicker long sleeve tech shirt.

I can give no advice as to actual items as most of my stuff is soooo old.  I love Poshmark for gear on the cheap.

Except... I very much love Patagonia R1 fleece for super cold runs.

Offline lamerun

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2019, 02:16:16 PM »
Which Yaktrax?  I'm of the opinion that the coil ones are useless.

I don't know the name; they have coils, which usually break eventually, and then they  trip me. They also have very tiny spikes under the sole. Kind of a nuisance to put on also.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2019, 02:21:00 PM »
This is the vest I have. It looks dorky, but I love it because it has the perfect thickness.  I use it a lot.
https://posh.mk/An0gPjHt91

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2019, 02:25:51 PM »
Well now I'm for sure signing up for this race so I can buy me some new winter gear!  I've got loads of winter clothes but will definitely be getting those spikes. 

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2019, 02:39:00 PM »
It is a struggle to run in the winter when it is cold and dark.  I am cold during my warmup. But heat is harder than used to be.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2019, 02:44:12 PM »
In before the move to Running.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2019, 05:16:59 PM »
I run year around. But XC ski more in the winter and used to do that almost exclusively. Now run 5 or 6 days a week, ski once on average. I use small hex screws in my shoes for traction on icy days and if it's really bad will run on the treadmill.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2019, 05:28:23 PM »
I'll do a lot of treadmill running, but want to be able to get on the trails too.  I might get a set of the hardcore spikes along with the other ones.  I can't bring myself to do the screw thing for some reason. 

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2019, 05:33:31 PM »
I don't work in the summer and winter here is a cold smoggy hellhole.   That dictates my fitness schedule pretty easily.  We have a treadmill upstairs in our building that I try to get on a reasonable amount of times in the winter for the sake of maintenance.  I'll usually watch a period of a bruins hockey game which can range from 30-45 minutes and challenge myself to see how far I can go in that time, which is a nice mental game to keep me going. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2019, 06:48:49 PM »
someone posted these on FB today:

https://icebug.com/grip

Pricey but maybe worth it for safety?

Offline CheryG

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2019, 07:28:09 PM »
The icebugs seem like overkill to me.  And I even live on the ice coast.  I only need studs a few times a year running on dirt roads. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2019, 07:36:47 PM »
Yeah it's definitely not a need for me.  I trained throughout the winter last year and the few times our roads were iced over I went to the outlet mall.  The perimeter road is exactly one mile around and well maintained no matter what the weather.  It's boring but works.

The BEST is that the NPS closes the flattish Blue Ridge Parkway corridor in Asheville that's almost always open.  There is nothing better than getting into ankle/knee deep snow on the parkway, especially overlooking the French Broad River and some of the local creeks.  :heartbeat:

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2019, 07:41:32 PM »
I've twice broken my ankle while running on ice :D  I want me some iron spikes!

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Anyone a Winter Runner only?
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2019, 07:42:03 PM »
I like running in the winter, if it’s daylight and I have a dry/snow free surface to run on. It’s hard for me to rally when it’s cold, but once I get out there I enjoy it.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2019, 07:52:05 PM »

ouch!  You deal with a little more ice than I do  :d

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2019, 08:15:03 PM »

Hillsound makes some great ones. 

Offline roadstrailstris

• The Runners
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2019, 08:20:40 PM »

Sprained my ankle badly running on ice- three weeks before my first half marathon.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2019, 09:45:28 PM »
We just run before the sun comes up. The humidity is a bitch. Sometimes I do find it harder to get out there in the cold and dark.

I’ll move this tomorrow. :-)

Offline Noley

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2019, 10:47:53 PM »
If I ran again, I would only run in the winter. 

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2019, 11:39:23 PM »
I'll do a lot of treadmill running, but want to be able to get on the trails too.  I might get a set of the hardcore spikes along with the other ones.  I can't bring myself to do the screw thing for some reason. 

Have you got a pair of running shoes that are practically worn out?  Of course you do.  Put some hex-head machine screws in the soles and see what you think.  Works at least as well as the fancy products, and for a fraction of the cost.  Don't use 1.25" screws as someone suggested.  That's way too long and would almost certainly end up overpenetrating and possibly punturing your feetsies.  3/8" screws that are plenty long enough.  It's a 10 minute job, tops. 

Offline CheryG

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2019, 08:00:40 AM »
I guess I can't do the screw thing because it feels like I'd sacrifice a pair to just the ice.  I use my old runners for lots of things and get many more miles out of them.

Thanks to my fantastic road crew I might not use run studs but a handful of times a year, but for barn chores I keep an old pair of boots with a set on all the time.  We don't sand all our walkways between barn and hay shed, etc., because it's grass in the summer.

Also, for work I keep a set in my car at all times because people are terrible at maintaining their driveways.  Just a cheap set from the discount store (not the coil ones, lol).

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2019, 04:09:18 PM »
I guess I can't do the screw thing because it feels like I'd sacrifice a pair to just the ice.  I use my old runners for lots of things and get many more miles out of them.

Understood.  I just used an older pair that was near retirement for that. I've had em for a few years now.
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2019, 04:50:32 PM »
Understood.  I just used an older pair that was near retirement for that. I've had em for a few years now.

Seriously.  Check out the wear on the pair I used.  There was nothing left for the screws to spoil.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2019, 07:21:13 AM »

I also use older shoes and maybe put on 100 miles more miles total on them. Also the hex screws are tiny and you could feasibly take them out with not ill-effect to the shoe.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2019, 07:55:56 AM »
I actually don't have an old pair of shoes.  Like chery I use mine for the barn, the garden etc and once they've fallen apart I take out the insoles to put in casual shoes and ditch them.  I like the idea of being able to put on the spikes and remove them, around here it can be sheet ice to pair pavement to deep snow one one run.

Anyway, I love all the tips!  Training has commenced.

Offline SnarlyMarly

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2019, 08:23:51 AM »
I have heard some people take gorilla glue and make their own little extra high nubbies in the bottom of shoes

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2019, 10:17:03 AM »
In Alaska where winter was the real deal I didn't run a lot during winter because all roads and paths were 100% ice and snow packed for 6 months and that irritated my hips. However, did realize that some running on top of all the cross country skiing was good for maintenance, so I'd run 3-4 miles a couple times a week and would snowshoe run or race for an hour or so. That helped with transitioning back to full in the spring. Here there are maybe 5 days a year where there is too much snow/slush/ice to be able to run outside, plus a couple more with hurricane winds like last weekend (50 mph sustained, 60 to 85 mph gusts, for like 16 hours straight). They plow all bike paths within hours of a snowfall, better than any of the roads except freeways. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2019, 10:47:43 AM »

The arcteryx atom line is designed to be kept on an breath while you sweat. The lt jacket or vest would make a great running coat, I think. You can often pick up a used one for about 30% of the new cost. I have a similar jacket from Patagonia and it is hands down my fave for sweating in the cold.

+-SUPPORT US