Author Topic: Anyone a Winter Runner only?  (Read 7893 times)

Offline RioG

• The Runners
Anyone a Winter Runner only?
« on: December 04, 2019, 11:27:58 AM »
I seem to get my running motivation in the winter.  I just saw that a trail race I've done a few times has eliminated their 25k distance and replaced it with a 20.  It's a relatively easy double track with some hills. Nothing like the hellacious singletrack death march 25k I did last fall.

I'll be starting from scratch since I haven't run much at all lately.

Anyway, just curious.  Spring and summer and fall have so many competing priorities whereas winter... there's so little to do (no garden or outside work).

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
Re: Anyone a Winter Runner only?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 11:42:27 AM »
I used to love those slushy 20 mile winter long runs.  Lately my house flipping has been taking up all my spare time and energy.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 12:01:01 PM »
Cant really run here in the summer since its 110 for 6 months of the year but this year I haven't been a winter runner either.

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 12:14:37 PM »
Summer here is TM only, unless you're a running machine like Rochey.

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 12:38:14 PM »
Not really.  I love being able to run at night without a headlamp.  I love how beautiful it is outside. 

But for the most part the trails are shut down for running, which sucks. Long runs below 0F are challenging, esp because I usually have a headwind on the second half of my runs.

Ice under snow sucks.

I bought some new spikes this year, hoping they run better than my old ones.  The old ones gripped fine but would always strain my plantar fascia a little.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 12:42:42 PM »
Not really.  I love being able to run at night without a headlamp.  I love how beautiful it is outside. 

But for the most part the trails are shut down for running, which sucks. Long runs below 0F are challenging, esp because I usually have a headwind on the second half of my runs.

Ice under snow sucks.

I bought some new spikes this year, hoping they run better than my old ones.  The old ones gripped fine but would always strain my plantar fascia a little.
I want to look into spikes - any recommendations?  The trails here aren't technical at all, but do get icy.

I love running at night in the winter, though now I have to drive to town to do it.

Offline roadstrailstris

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 12:43:46 PM »
I'm not a winter runner only, but I'll jump on the asking for recs bandwagon- I really need a new winter running jacket and so far can't find anything. Suggestions?

Offline CheryG

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 12:50:31 PM »
I want to look into spikes - any recommendations?  The trails here aren't technical at all, but do get icy.

I love running at night in the winter, though now I have to drive to town to do it.

My old ones are the Stabilicers, sport version. They grip super well. Sometimes they pop off when hiking.

I just bought these:
Kahtoola NANOspikes Footwear Traction - Black XS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TOYEBSK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ag.5DbBJGDEBG

I also have their crampon version for hiking, and they're great.

Offline jcumming

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 12:51:00 PM »
I remember a thread here or on a predecessor where  a few people said they would never run in the cold and that 70F was cold. It sort of cracked me up as  studies indicated that about 50F was the optimum temperature for running performance and they bailed when, at best, they were moderately overheating.

I never minded cold but I really hated "slush" running.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 12:54:19 PM »
My old ones are the Stabilicers, sport version. They grip super well. Sometimes they pop off when hiking.

I just bought these:
Kahtoola NANOspikes Footwear Traction - Black XS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TOYEBSK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ag.5DbBJGDEBG

Do they really work?  They look so... innocuous!

Offline morefoolyou

• The Runners
  • now i'm trying to get back
    • redShirt Union
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 01:19:48 PM »
fair weather friend here. literally.
The scientific consensus might, of course, be wrong. If the history of science teaches anything, it is humility. But our grandchildren will surely blame us if they find that we understood the reality of climate change and failed to do anything about it.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 01:21:40 PM »
Do they really work?  They look so... innocuous!

I think they'll be perfect for the days when the whole road is moderate ice. We get that a lot.  The tips of the spikes are very much like the tap in studs for horse shoes- a very hard, picky steel.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 01:22:19 PM »

http://chrunners.net/forum/index.php?topic=101315.msg2390018#msg2390018

Offline wombleatwimbledon

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 01:23:29 PM »

I just bought these:

Have you used them on purely icy conditions as well? We don’t get so much snow as days upon days of hard frosts that never thaw.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 01:30:17 PM »
I'm not a winter runner only, but I'll jump on the asking for recs bandwagon- I really need a new winter running jacket and so far can't find anything. Suggestions?

I love gear shopping.

What exactly do you want in a jacket?  Should it be light and windbreaking over a decent long sleeve layer?  Or do you like to wear a thin top and a warmer jacket?  Do you get cold everywhere?  My limbs don't get as cold so I'm fine with a vest and good gloves. 
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 01:30:36 PM »
I'm not winter only but I don't like to run in heat so winter running is my fave
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline CheryG

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2019, 01:32:57 PM »
Have you used them on purely icy conditions as well? We don’t get so much snow as days upon days of hard frosts that never thaw.

The stablicers I have.  Totally grippy and sharp.
STABILicers Sport Lightweight Serious Traction Cleat, Blue/Black, X-Small https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Y8WBB4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_US.5DbJVFND69

I see that they now include a strap to keep them from popping off. That would help a lot, but I only had issues on the steeps while hiking.

I haven't tried the screws yet, there's a trail shoe out there (Saucony??) that provides spots for them on the soles.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2019, 01:34:41 PM »
I love everything about winter, running included.  The problem with sprint training is that tracks are unusable in the snow and roads are unreliable (ice and slush just not good for sprinting).  Sadly, I have to join an indoor track facility for quality sprint training. 

For distance running, using 1 1/4 inch screws are great for traction on ice. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 01:39:54 PM by Arrojo »
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline lamerun

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2019, 01:44:49 PM »
I think they'll be perfect for the days when the whole road is moderate ice. We get that a lot.  The tips of the spikes are very much like the tap in studs for horse shoes- a very hard, picky steel.
  How do these compare with Yak Traks?  I used microspikes for hiking, both the regular and the sharper Hillsounds, but I have not tried the nanos.  I use yak traks but find them annoying.

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2019, 01:55:53 PM »
I have Kahtoola spikes. I don't get to use them much. I have had an icy trail run where they were perfect. It's so great to be tromping over ice and not worry about falling. They do something where they pull on my shoe and create a blister on the side of my foot though which is not normal. I'm hoping to use them in January for an untimed trail race.

RTT - I have a couple of jackets depending on the weather. I have one that is what I call my 'scuba' jacket. That's my under 25 degrees jacket with a warm layer underneath. I think it's Brooks from a few years ago. I also have a Nike jacket that has wind protection, but also some fleece like panels.

+-SUPPORT US