Author Topic: SALAZAR BANNED! WADA to Investigate NOP Athletes  (Read 10155 times)

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
SALAZAR BANNED! WADA to Investigate NOP Athletes
« on: October 01, 2019, 06:57:59 AM »
Coach and former Boston and New York marathon record holder gets 4 year ban for nefarious activities with performance enhancing drugs. https://deadspin.com/nike-running-coach-alberto-salazar-hit-with-four-year-a-1838647652
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 12:44:59 PM by Coyote Mas Loco »
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline SnarlyMarly

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
Re: SALAZAR BANNED!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 08:27:19 AM »
They’ve been waiting for him to cross over the gray area and they don’t give lifetime ban?!

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 09:21:59 AM »
Hopefully it's an effective lifetime ban. He'll be 65 when he's reinstated. And he's said all along that he would retire once Rupp was done. I don't think Rupp will go past 2020.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
  • Non-Repentant Slowtwitcher
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 09:46:29 AM »
I saw that on ST earlier, and wondered which link to post over here

NYT & WaPo are pay-walled
BBC & Guardian led with "Mo Farah's coach"
USA Today is free but garbage

Nice to see that you chose Deadspin
'We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be' ― Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 09:55:55 AM »
This saddens me. Not the ban itself if he deserves it for his nefarious activity. But I’ve always been a fan of his, since he is my age and grew up literally one town over. I knew him when he was a high school track star, and of course winning that great ‘82 Boston marathon. :(
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 10:09:48 AM »
'We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be' ― Kurt Vonnegut

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 10:58:51 AM »
https://www.letsrun.com/news/2019/10/nike-oregon-project-coach-alberto-salazar-gets-four-year-doping-ban-from-usada/

I think that's the most positive article I've ever read about someone being banned. It's a little weird.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 11:53:04 AM »
This saddens me. Not the ban itself if he deserves it for his nefarious activity. But I’ve always been a fan of his, since he is my age and grew up literally one town over. I knew him when he was a high school track star, and of course winning that great ‘82 Boston marathon. :(

Also the same age and I get where you are coming from. I saw him win NCAAs as a junior, beating world record holder Henry Rono, which launched him into stardom. Had some mixed feelings when he was at his peak, admiring what he did but thought he was arrogant. Admit jumping up and down cheering for Pfitzinger while watch the 1984 Olympic Trials marathon, where Pfitz upset Salazar.  NOP started rather modestly 20 years ago, and seeing Rupp and Mo take silver and gold in London at the time was a huge highlight. But I remember thinking, well I hope they're clean. I enjoyed his book 14 Minutes but a year or so later when he went after Gabe Grunewald and other athletes or coaches at USA nationals, he seemed unhinged. And then the ProPublica piece came out.

Offline i am party

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 12:07:02 PM »

Yeah, sad and disappointed.

He was all over the running magazines in the 80s when I was running in HS.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 12:10:42 PM »
https://runningmagazine.ca/the-scene/albert-salazar-and-nike-respond-to-doping-sanctions/

Nike is supporting Salazar in the wake of the USADA decision:

“Today’s decision has nothing to do with administering banned substances to any Oregon Project athlete. As the panel noted, they were struck by the amount of care Alberto took to ensure he was complying with the World Anti-Doping Code.

“We support Alberto in his decision to appeal and wish him the full measure of due process that the rules require. Nike does not condone the use of banned substances in any manner.”

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 12:33:02 PM »

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 12:33:46 PM »

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2019, 12:45:07 PM »
From NYT -

World Track Moves to Cut Off Alberto Salazar After Doping Allegation

At the international track and field championships, he was barred from facilities, and his athletes were told they could not communicate with him.

DOHA, Qatar — Track’s world governing body moved quickly Tuesday to distance itself from Alberto Salazar, the famed American coach whom United States antidoping officials barred for four years for administering banned substances and tampering with antidrug protocols.
Salazar was at the world track and field championships in Doha, but immediately became a persona non grata, a remarkable downfall for a titan of the sport.
Well before dawn, the integrity unit of the International Association of Athletics Federations, track and field’s governing body, revoked Salazar’s coaching authorization, effectively barring him from being trackside and from communicating with his athletes from the Nike-sponsored program at the center of the American antidoping ruling issued Monday.
World track officials issued an email advisory to athletes about Salazar, and to be sure the message got through representatives fanned out to team hotels to deliver letters to ensure the repercussions of associating with the tarnished coach were made clear. No more contact, no more last-minute pep talks, no more advice, or the athletes themselves would face punishment under global antidoping agency rules.
“We moved as soon as we found out,” David Howman, the chairman of the athletics integrity unit, said in an interview. “We’re used to working through the night.”
Shortly before midday, the United States track and field governing body confirmed it had acted upon the international federation’s recommendation and taken back Salazar’s credentials, barring him from all championship sites, including training venues and official hotels.
Salazar, who denies all the allegations against him, was reported to have left town shortly after the ruling, which detailed violations that included trafficking in testosterone, tampering with the doping control process and administering improper infusions of L-carnitine, a naturally occurring substance that converts fat into energy.
Even after allegations of wrongdoing first surfaced in 2015, Salazar, head coach of the Nike Oregon Project, continued to loom large. He has trained stars such as Mo Farah of Britain, a four-time Olympic champion on the track; Galen Rupp, the top American marathon runner; and Sifan Hassan of the Netherlands, who set a world record in the women’s mile in July and just this weekend won gold in the 10,000 meters in Doha.
“I am shocked to receive the news of today’s ruling, especially during this time in which I am fully preparing for my next race in the world championships in Doha,’’ Hassan said in a statement. “This investigation is focused on the period before I joined the Oregon Project and therefore has no relation to me. I was aware of the ongoing investigations when I joined the team and have always had a clean conscience, knowing we are being monitored to the absolute fullest by USADA and WADA,” the American and world antidoping authorities.
The mood at a downtown hotel housing the British delegation was somber, with officials locked down in talks, figuring out how they would deal with the verdict.
Neil Black, the British team’s performance director and a private therapist to Farah, Britain’s most decorated track and field athlete, had declared Salazar a “genius” while U.K. Athletics’ review into Farah’s relationship with Salazar had found no reasons to be concerned.
Farah remained with Salazar until 2017, before he decided to return to Britain, a move that took place four months after Salazar was secretly charged with violations by the United States Anti-Doping Agency.
“I’m relieved that USADA has, after four years, completed their investigation into Alberto Salazar,’’ Farah said Tuesday. “I left the Nike Oregon Project in 2017, but as I’ve always said, I have no tolerance for anyone who breaks the rules or crosses a line. A ruling has been made, and I’m glad there has finally been a conclusion.”
The need to work quickly was obvious. Two of Salazar’s athletes — Clayton Murphy and Donavan Brazier — run in the 800-meter final Tuesday night.
“We moved as soon as we found out,” David Howman, the chairman of the athletics integrity unit, said in an interview. “We’re used to working through the night.”
Shortly before midday, the United States track and field governing body confirmed it had acted upon the international federation’s recommendation and taken back Salazar’s credentials, barring him from all championship sites, including training venues and official hotels.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 01:57:14 PM »

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 02:29:53 PM »
Not even a meme, this is real from Doha today:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EFyphdMU0AIuRlR?format=jpg&name=medium

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2019, 02:35:05 PM »
bwahahahaha!

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2019, 10:31:57 AM »
https://deadspin.com/banned-running-coach-alberto-salazar-briefed-nike-ceo-m-1838671744

The agency’s report has also revealed a shocking aspect of Salazar’s scheme: he kept Nike’s top brass updated on his doping experiments.

Never underestimate a rich person’s ability to commit evidence of crimes and malfeasance to email.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2019, 07:20:33 AM »
The twitterverse and social media responses are interesting, if not predictable. Athletes from other programs are outspoken and throwing shade. They've known for a long time that the outfit was, well shady. Athletes with NOP are distancing themselves from Salazar (saying they were actually coached by Pete Julian), while others (like Jordan Hasay) are saying that he's a good guy.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2019, 09:23:50 AM »
... others (like Jordan Hasay) are saying that he's a good guy.

Her braids are wound too tight, and it's affecting her judgement

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2019, 10:38:51 AM »
It's interesting to see the split with athletes who are rejoicing and calling for his head vs. those who are all ''OMGSOSADFORHIM!!".   Pretty easy to tell what their shoe of choice is  :lambie:

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2019, 10:40:30 AM »
Her braids are wound too tight, and it's affecting her judgement

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2019, 10:45:55 AM »
It's interesting to see the split with athletes who are rejoicing and calling for his head vs. those who are all ''OMGSOSADFORHIM!!".   Pretty easy to tell what their shoe of choice is  :lambie:

Especially telling from the likes of Jenny Simpson who had some choice words following her 1500 heat in Doha the other day, and Deena Kastor. Some of the NOP Dopologists are saying that those speaking out are just not up to NOP's snuff. But they can't say that with these two. Rowbury does have the US record for the 1500, but Simpson has been better at winning medals, and has had a huge-long career as well. Likewise, Deena is like the GOAT (along with Joanie). 

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2019, 11:12:24 AM »
Jenny was the one I was thinking of.  Definitely no mincing of words! 

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2019, 01:17:30 PM »
Icarus II: Doper Than Before

Coming Fall 2020

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2019, 06:35:16 PM »
Jenny has certainly been on the record about being against doping, speaking out recently against Coleman and supporting the Whereabouts System.  Frankly I think we need more athletes like her who take no bull and mince no words.

Here's a good article where Martinez and Montano (and Shalane and Kara, among others) talk about not just the psychological and professional impact of the rampant cheating but the straight up financial impact.  If there were law suits for financial renumeration against cheating athletes, maybe THAT would be enough to dissuade some of them.  Would they risk financial ruin to toe the line if the financial consequences well outweighed the earning power they could ever potentially hit?
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2019, 06:41:35 PM »
Rowbury fights back on Insta
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3KkX09J_34/

Engels fires back following 1500 m heat in Doha
https://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=9626821

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2019, 10:40:39 PM »
 :bitchfight:

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2019, 07:30:16 AM »
(I did)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 10:22:22 AM by Coyote Mas Loco »

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2019, 09:31:54 AM »
The women's 1500 m final should be one of the most interesting and competitive races of these championships. Hassan (NOP/Salazar connections aside) is the prohibitive favorite, and it's hard to see if anyone beats her unless she trips/gets boxed in/has had a bad week because of all the controversy. She can close better than anyone off off a fast or slow pace.

Next best at a big kick is USA's Shelby Houlihan.
Ethiopia's Tsegay ran crazy-weird taking such a big lead in that semi, and she might have tired legs. Kipyegon from Kenya is dangerous and will be in the mix. Britain's Muir is an aggressive runner, but that often bites her back in the stretch, plus she's been hurt over this summer and her fitness level through all three rounds could come into play. Simpson is probably the best tactician in the world, men or women (Matt Centrowitz is also very good in championship finals). She has a way of being in the right place at the right time.

My guess Hassan, Houlihan, Simpson in that order. But any one of the others could take Silver or Bronze from the Americans. 

Did you post this in the wrong thread?  :)
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2019, 09:38:28 AM »
Ha!  And how amazing is it that we have 3 women in the finals
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2019, 11:08:22 AM »
Episode 14 has an interview with Adam and Kara Goucher - I'm only half through but some powerful stuff.

https://cleansport.org/collective-voice

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2019, 12:22:22 PM »
Just listened to it on a long car ride.  Very good stuff.  A fellow Volee member will be on the Most Pleasant Exhaustion podcast on Sunday discussing as well.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2019, 12:42:44 PM »
Wasn't there a podcast thread around here someplace, once upon a time?

I'm thinking that should be updated

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2019, 12:09:57 PM »
Ironman Triathlete Andrew Starykowicz lays out an awesome metaphor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-BoR3VpvZE&t=13m48s

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2019, 03:21:26 PM »
Ironman Triathlete Andrew Starykowicz lays out an awesome metaphor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-BoR3VpvZE&t=13m48s

He's kind of off base there. I don't an anemic athlete can get a TUE for EPO. Also you don't need a TUE for an asthma inhaler if it's used within limits (which seem ridiculously high, at 24 puffs a day).

Interesting to see the orchestrated Nike pushback on this, with all their lawyers, PR consultants, and some speaking out in favor of NOP (Jordan Hasay in particular), while others are muzzled (Bowerman Track Club). And it appears that they (trolls, bots, what have you) are going onto social media and attacking those who testified against them in the report or arbitration: the Gouchers, Steve Magness, Dathan Ritzenhein. Or those who have spoke out to reporters or on social media: Jenny Simpson, Stephanie Bruce, Scott Fauble etc. 

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2019, 03:33:08 PM »
Huh.  No idea where they came up with that level of organized misinformation/smear campaign

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2019, 04:02:53 PM »
He's kind of off base there. I don't an anemic athlete can get a TUE for EPO. Also you don't need a TUE for an asthma inhaler if it's used within limits (which seem ridiculously high, at 24 puffs a day).

I like his metaphor about the lawn though

"Even if you stop putting chemicals on the lawn for 4 months, 6 months, a year, or more, it's still going to be greener than lawn next door where the guy who only watered & weeded"

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2019, 05:40:38 PM »
Huh.  No idea where they came up with that level of organized misinformation/smear campaign

Adam Goucher said this on that podcast interview.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2019, 05:42:09 PM »
I like his metaphor about the lawn though

"Even if you stop putting chemicals on the lawn for 4 months, 6 months, a year, or more, it's still going to be greener than lawn next door where the guy who only watered & weeded"

And yes, I meant to say the analogy was apt. I guess it could be extended to say that chemicals were not allowed by they HOA but the neighbor did it anyway.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2019, 02:05:59 PM »
Adam Goucher said this on that podcast interview.

Yup

• The Runners
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2019, 03:24:39 PM »
I knew I liked him! 

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2019, 09:10:27 PM »
The NOP goes home devastated! This is news before it's even news, and hasn't been verified yet. Just off letsrun message board (also the NOP website is down):

Mark Parker wrote:

Team,
As you know, last week I shared my thoughts on the recent USADA ruling regarding Alberto Salazar and The Oregon Project.

I want to reiterate that Nike has always tried to put the athlete and their needs at the front of all our decisions. While the panel found there was no orchestrated doping, no finding that performance enhancing drugs have ever been used on Oregon Project athletes and went out of its way to note Alberto’s desire to follow all rules, unfortunately, Alberto can no longer coach while the appeal is pending.

This situation, along with ongoing unsubstantiated assertions, is a distraction for many of the athletes and is compromising their ability to focus on their training and competition needs. I have therefore made the decision to wind down the Oregon Project. We will help all of our athletes in this transition as they choose the coaching set up that is right for them.

And, as we have said, we will continue to support Alberto in his appeal as a four-year suspension for someone who acted in good faith is wrong.

Thanks,

Mark Parker
Chairman, President and CEO, NIKE, Inc.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2019, 09:19:15 PM »

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2019, 12:02:00 PM »

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

Re: SALAZAR BANNED! WADA to Investigate NOP Athletes
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2019, 07:36:09 AM »
Mary Cain speaks out in NYT video, and says the NOP system was physically and emotionally abusive for young women. And that Salazar publicly berated her for not losing weight.

Not sure if others can see this link but the video is very good.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/07/opinion/nike-running-mary-cain.html

• The Runners
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2019, 12:08:17 PM »
What a shitshow.  Not that I shed any tears for Salazar before, but it's more satisfying when bad things happen to confirmed assholes. 

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2019, 12:26:31 PM »
Also I'm not even going to bother venturing into whatever letsrun threads are talking about it.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2019, 07:26:29 PM »
There was a protest today at Nike HQ:
https://www.wweek.com/news/business/2019/12/08/hundreds-of-nike-employees-stage-walk-to-protest-alberto-salazar-on-beaverton-campus/?fbclid=IwAR3gW-A5pCFqp9zvPyut5WnJOnYI4CSBjcd8-32NggTd4d2UMihmYxyk00A

More will come of this.  Either we'll start to hear from fired whistleblowers or we'll see change.  I'm fairly certain this means they've hit some kind of tipping point internally.  A cull would be predominantly female and that would be nooo bueno for them legally.

• The Runners

Offline Loco Coyote

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2021, 07:55:07 PM »
https://www.si.com/olympics/2021/07/26/alberto-salazar-permanently-ineligible-safesport-investigation-sexual-emotional-misconduct

LIFELIFELIFE!!!!

Letsrun goes home devastated!  :panic:

Yeah there were dueling incoherent threads yesterday, and the brojos jumped in shouting about transparency in the process, asking for evidence of abuse etc.

+-SUPPORT US