Author Topic: National Masters T&F Championship Report  (Read 3315 times)

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
National Masters T&F Championship Report
« on: August 03, 2015, 03:51:58 PM »
Last weekend, I ran at the National Masters T&F Championship track meet down in Jacksonville, FL at the Univerty of North Florida.  I was entered in the 100 meters, 200 meters and Long Jump in my age group M 55-59.

Yes, I do distance running, because as adult runners, that's what we're supposed to do.  But I'm not competetive at it.  However, at the short sprints, I seem to have much more ability than I do at any type of slow twitch distance for some reason.  Masters track and field works in 5 year age groups.  So when I first enter a new age group, I try and milk being among the younger ones (I am 56) because let's face it - its very tough at the National level, competing against those guys. When I am no longer at the young end, (58-59) I'll do more distance running for fun.

Although I've competed at two Indoor National Championships in the 60 meter dash, this was my first Outdoor Nationals (due to injuries - hello artificial hip - and doing spring marathons, which knock me out of serious sprint training for the summer).

I flew down to Fla on Thursday, my only event on Friday was the 100 meters.  There were 21 M55-59 men entered in this.  My seed time was the 14th fastest.  They divided us up into three heats.  Only the 9 fastest runners make it into the finals.  My stretch goal was to make the finals, but I knew it was a longshot.  I really wanted to simply break my season's best (13.85).  It was extremely hot and humid.  I figured though that for my events, the heat and humidity would have no impact, since they are over too quickly (I did feel for the longer event runners, like the 1500 meters, in those conditions).

There was a 2nd 3-lane track adjacent to the real track for people to warm up on.  I slowly went through my plyo/dynamic stretching drills.  But I should have been more focused on hydration.  But who worries about such things for a 13-second race?  My final race prep involves 4 or 5 30-meter strides of increasing speed, with the last one hitting top speed from a starting position.  The warmup track was crowded, but people were cognizant of each other.  A very large young man (I think he was a UNF football player) happened to be standiing off to the side watching us warmup.  After my last all out warmup 30 meter sprint, he hi-fived me and told me I was a good athlete. :)

14 of the 21 M55-59 made it to the starting line.  As any masters athlete can attest, half the battle is being healthy enough to make it to the start.  Heck, distance runners and sprinters are no different in that regard; talk to any 50+ runner and injuries will be a part of the discussion.

There were three heats. Like the Olympics or US trials, the booming PA announcer announces each runner before the race.  He got to me, and said my name and home town, but didn't say "Massachusetts", as if anyone would have any clue where my small town was located.  I waved to the crowd and yelled "Massachusetts!".  The guy in the nex lane laughed.

My start is the best part of my race.  Not because I am technically proficient.  In fact my technique is probably average, although I am working on it.  I think I just have quick reactions to the gun.  My first steps are always good. I even heard the announcer say my name as one of the early leaders!  Alas, its the 100 meters, not the 30 meters, and so most of the others in my heat beat me.  I'm in red in lane 8 at the left.

http://www.usatf.tv/gprofile.php?mgroup_id=45365&mgroup_event_id=6668&year=2015&do=videos&video_id=152617

I finished and was out of breath, amazed at how crappy I felt.  Normally, after a 100 meter race, I'm all "la-ti-da, that was fun", but the heat and humdity and lack of hydration kicked my butt.  I was disappointed in my time at first - 13.88 - just .28 away from qualifying. But after reflection, I know I did my best and it is an 82.33% WAVA, not too shabby.  11th place (out of 21).

I was nervous about my hamstring.  I'd tweaked it (tightness really, not a pull or anything) recently and just wanted it to hold up for the 200 on Saturday.  The LJ was after the 200 and I was thinkng no way is my hammy going to let me jump.  The 200 meters is an honest race - a long sprint.  But I did not want to make the same mistake as I did for the 100 by being cavalier about the weather, and so I made sure to drink lots of Powerade and water beforehand.  The race wasn't until 3 PM, kind of annoying.  Many of the age groups - including all of the womens' - "rolled to the Finals" on Sunday.  That means there were <=9 entrants who made it to the starting line (see my comment above) and so there was no need for prelims.  Not me!  In fact the M55-59 200M group had enough for 3 prelim heats, same as the 100. I was ambivalent - I wanted to make the finals, but I also wanted to run, so bring it on.

I had the 13th best seed time out of 19.  This time I was in the first heat.  They gave me lane 2, the inside lane with a tight turn.  Whatever - I always try to practice my 200's using different lanes. because you never know where they will put you.  I got out well, and made up the stagger on the guy in the outside lane.  Coming down the straightaway, I couldnt believe how far away the 200 finish was.  It was easily the longest 200 of my life.  I heard my teammates cheer for me.  I crossed the line and felt like death, was having trouble breathing.  Thankfully, I'm in shape, so it was just a metter of a few minutes for my body to get its act together.  My time was my fastest time in 6 years - 28.92.  I was shocked, I figured my sub 29 days were over.  It was a huge age-graded PR - translating to a 23.88 age-graded 200 meters!

I finished 12th here - still no finals, but I was very happy nonetheless.  In this video, I am all the way on the right to start - the inside lane, lane 2.  Of course the camera loses me, focusing on the winner.  He won the finals in 24.08, almost my age-graded time, holy shit!! :

http://www.usatf.tv/gprofile.php?mgroup_id=45365&mgroup_event_id=6668&year=2015&do=videos&video_id=152720

Surprisingly, my hamstring felt OK.  So I figured what the heck, go do the long jump (annoyingly scheduled for 5 PM, the last age group for some reason).  My steps and mark were suprisingly consistent.  My first jump was my best - 4.08 meters.   Good for 6th place (out of 9 entered).  I jumped 4.09 last year, if I could have jumped 2 more CM here, I would have been able to say it was my longest jump in 6 years.  Anyway, I enjoyed the competetion.  When it was over, I was talking to the guy who finished 2nd and we compared injuries (that's what old runners and jumpers do).  When he found out I had an artifical hip, he was stunned.  He's an orthopedic surgeon.  He told me he believes I'm the first and only person to ever sprint and long jump with an artificial hip (another guy at the meet told me this too).  I'm pretty sure he's right - I havent found or heard of anyone else out there doing this (marathons, triathons, professional hockey players, all kinds of things, sure, but no sprinters).  He said he thought I was the story of the meet.  I laughed and said "thanks, but I don't think so".  There are a lot of great stories at this meet of course.  Like people competing in their 90's, or my friend Sue McCarthy, 52 years old who WON the women's 100, 200 and 400.  So, I am not the story of the meet.  But it still made me feel good.

Anyway, there were no showers and I was sweaty and covered in sand from my last jump where I stumbled and sprawled.  I towelled off as best I could and then drove 4 hours down to Boynton Beach to visit with my step mom.  I had a smile on my face the entire drive.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 04:02:31 PM by Arrojo »
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline McTortle

• NTTAWWT
Re: National Masters T&F Championship Report
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 04:38:14 PM »
Well done!

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 05:59:23 PM »
 :obh:

Belgian Lace

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 07:58:07 PM »
:ok:

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 08:36:16 PM »
Nice work bionic Arrojo.  If only they spent the entire six million on you.   :)
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

iwuzwilson

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 03:20:06 PM »
Congrats your continued comeback!

+-SUPPORT US