Author Topic: Is canning hard?  (Read 19242 times)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Re: Is canning hard?
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 06:18:06 PM »
I add vanilla essence, cinnamon, ginger, cranberries, raisins, and some water.  No extra sugar.

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 07:50:51 PM »
So if you don't mill it or you use the immersion blender, do you peel the apples first?  Do you core them?
That's the part I hate.

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
Is canning hard?
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 08:21:23 PM »
So if you don't mill it or you use the immersion blender, do you peel the apples first?  Do you core them?
That's the part I hate.

1! The peeling and coring takes forever. I'd much rather use a mill of some kind.

We have a Squeezo, which is sort of like a Foley food mill on steroids.

The applesauce goes into the big bowl, and the stems, peels, seeds, etc. go into the small bowl.

DH also makes tomato juice and hot sauce with it.

Here e is cranking out the tomato juice. He scorched this batch. It tasted terrible. I felt sad for all the hard work he put into it:

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 08:30:33 PM by badger »
After all, one rarely boils a penis before insertion. - nnej

I routinely smash mirrors while walking underneath ladders just to fuck with the cosmos. - ZiggyStardust

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 08:50:21 PM »
I don't peel, but I do core, and chop. Takes a few minutes but probably not any longer than millig and it's a one pot deal, so definitely less cleanup!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 09:08:27 PM »
I have one of those thingies that you put the apple on and turn and it peels and cores and spiral slices the apple.  Can someone hook me up with a good applesauce recipe please?  Why did it never occur to me to make it myself???  I live next one of the apple epicenters of the country (Hendersonville County).
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 09:22:47 PM »
I have one of those thingies that you put the apple on and turn and it peels and cores and spiral slices the apple.  Can someone hook me up with a good applesauce recipe please?  Why did it never occur to me to make it myself???  I live next one of the apple epicenters of the country (Hendersonville County).

I use the one in the idiet book. It's really yummy. A little bit sweet, but not crazy sweet.

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 09:42:16 PM »
I don't peel, but I do core, and chop. Takes a few minutes but probably not any longer than millig and it's a one pot deal, so definitely less cleanup!

Good point. My friend makes over 150 quarts of applesauce every year though, so the Squeezo is the way to go for her.

How do you get the peels out?

We don't add sugar to our applesauce, but that depends on the apple variety. Just apples and water. Maybe some cinnamon.
After all, one rarely boils a penis before insertion. - nnej

I routinely smash mirrors while walking underneath ladders just to fuck with the cosmos. - ZiggyStardust

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 09:51:32 PM »
I don't make nearly that much. I make applesauce maybe 1x/month. Usually on soup day- just one more pot on the stove. I eat the peels, silly! I like my apple sauce a little cunkier though, I guess.

6lbs of apples
4tbs of brown sugar
2 tbs of raisins (Ileave them out)
2 tbs cinnamon
2 cups of water

apples and water into a pot and boil, then turn down to simmer and simmer until broken down. Then stir in cinamon and sugar (I add salt too). Then I portion into 1/2 cup portions and freeze like that.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 09:55:13 PM »

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 10:00:02 PM »
so I can use the freezer jam containers I bought for applesauce?  and then just thaw each one in the fridge?  I spend a fortune on apple sauce for my DD.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 10:04:30 PM »
I don't see why not. I just use regular plastic (or glass) storage containers. I also have some old yogurt tubs I use. Since you're freezing it- you can put it in just about anything. The indivdual portions are very convenient. You can thaw in the fridge, or you can nuke it. It's *excellent* warm. I find that we both prefer the taste/texture of home made to the stuff you buy in the store (by leaps and bounds) but it is a little different. It's a smoother consistency and much more flavorful.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 10:05:36 PM »
so I can use the freezer jam containers I bought for applesauce?  and then just thaw each one in the fridge?  I spend a fortune on apple sauce for my DD.

If she likes store Bought spoke sauce she will die for this stuff. Neither of my kids would eat store bought... And they both ate some of this.  Even I loved it. I am already plotting when to make my next batch.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 10:06:03 PM »
Leaving the autocorrects as is. Wtf.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 10:15:18 PM »
what's wrong?  she loves Bought spoke sauce.  that was good advice.  :d

And yes, my DD was a fruit bat in a previous life.  She'd live on fruit (and bacon and rice) if I let her.  She loves all of the applesauce I buy -- often the organic squeezie things from TJs (she loves them) or the low sugar, organic brands from the store.

now I can't wait to get back fro FL in a week to make some.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 10:44:08 PM »
I want to try these too- applesauce bars

http://southernfood.about.com/od/applecakes/r/bl30512j.htm

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 11:21:44 PM »
Yeah, neither of us like Bought spoke sauce... but love the home made stuff. I just know my dd sometimes is really picky about specific stuff and I could see her turning up her nose at the home made stuff if she liked the (blander, uniform textured) store stuff. But worth a shot, because MAN is it tastier.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 06:52:04 AM »
The only apple sauce in stores that is close to home made is at trader Joe;s, imho.  I leave the peel on, but cut in small parts and get rid of the pits and core. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2013, 06:52:34 AM »
Thanks RA.  You're exactly right, she may do just that but I'll give it a try.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2013, 09:08:19 PM »
I really want to make applesauce but we keep eating all the apples  :hah:

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2013, 11:04:55 AM »
I really want to make applesauce but we keep eating all the apples  :hah:

:D I buy "eating" apples (the good ones) and "sauce apples" (the cheap ones). Apples are crazy expensive this year though!!!

+-SUPPORT US