Author Topic: Breakfast foods  (Read 5871 times)

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
Breakfast foods
« on: January 07, 2019, 10:47:13 AM »
Other than eggs what are some good high protein breakfast foods that I can bring to work.

Note: I dislike yogurt.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: Breakfast foods
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 11:10:14 AM »
You can eat anything for breakfast. I sometimes will just heat up another portion of whatever my lunch is.

Otherwise greek yogurt. Or, greek yogurt mixed with protein powder.

Oatmeal + protein powder.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 11:11:16 AM »
You can eat anything for breakfast. I sometimes will just heat up another portion of whatever my lunch is.

Otherwise greek yogurt. Or, greek yogurt mixed with protein powder.

Oatmeal + protein powder.

True...I sometimes eat sandwiches.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 11:19:22 AM »
There were good ideas in this thread too: http://chrunners.net/forum/index.php?topic=107085.0;all

I also like egg muffins (but I know you said no eggs). I can't do cottage cheese but that's a good one too. Or a protein bar.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 11:22:10 AM »
There were good ideas in this thread too: http://chrunners.net/forum/index.php?topic=107085.0;all

I also like egg muffins (but I know you said no eggs). I can't do cottage cheese but that's a good one too. Or a protein bar.

I used to do protein bars but I think I got sick of them. I can hardly stomach the thought.  :D

I don't know why I struggle so hard with breakfast.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 11:26:11 AM »
quinoa is higher in protein than other grains.  Do you like it?  I can find breakfast recipes.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 11:37:51 AM »
sometimes I get a craving for celery sticks filled with peanut butter... that might make a good breakfast

do you like cottage cheese? easy to eat dairy that isn't yogurt...

nuts and dried fruit
cheddar cheese and bell pepper

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 11:43:17 AM »
I dislike nuts and unfortunately need to eat only fat free dairy because of my damn cholesterol. Quinoa is ok...I don't dislike it.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 12:07:39 PM »
I was going to suggest stirring nut butter into oatmeal for protein with the right kind of fibre for lowering cholesterol, but I guess that won't work.

do you like beans? you can make a really tasty black bean spread (drained and rinsed can of black beans, juice of half a lime or orange, ground cumin, garlic or not, sunflower seeds or not, mashed together or pureed) either as a sandwich filler or a dip for raw veg (for that matter, hummus)

what about silken tofu? tofu scramble, smoothies with silken tofu as the base, or dark chocolate silken tofu pudding with berries (totally justifiable breakfast, trust me)

can you stomach fish for breakfast? salmon jerky is a pretty portable way to eat fish... and I would argue smoked salmon is definitely a breakfast food

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 12:07:45 PM »
I think the siggis brand yogurt is pretty good bang for your buck in terms of protein/fat/carbs. The 0% tubs are 15 grams of protein, 12 carbs, it is fat free.

I personally prefer the yoplait YQ yogurt-- which is made with microfiltered yogurt. The small tubs are 15 g protein, 2.5 grams of fat, and 10 carbs.

Neither of those is very high volume though so you'd probably still want to eat some fruit along with. Adding protein powder boost the protein without adding signficant fat or carbs (depending on your protein powder)-- so I think it's a pretty good trick.

Or, fairlife milk is also microfiltered so it is high protein. My family really likes it. What about combining that with some kind of decent-macro cereal? I am not sure what your current eating plan is.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 01:27:27 PM »
I was going to suggest stirring nut butter into oatmeal for protein with the right kind of fibre for lowering cholesterol, but I guess that won't work.

do you like beans? you can make a really tasty black bean spread (drained and rinsed can of black beans, juice of half a lime or orange, ground cumin, garlic or not, sunflower seeds or not, mashed together or pureed) either as a sandwich filler or a dip for raw veg (for that matter, hummus)

what about silken tofu? tofu scramble, smoothies with silken tofu as the base, or dark chocolate silken tofu pudding with berries (totally justifiable breakfast, trust me)

can you stomach fish for breakfast? salmon jerky is a pretty portable way to eat fish... and I would argue smoked salmon is definitely a breakfast food

I think I would rather have nut butter than beans.  :d I am soy intolerant.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 01:28:15 PM »
I think the siggis brand yogurt is pretty good bang for your buck in terms of protein/fat/carbs. The 0% tubs are 15 grams of protein, 12 carbs, it is fat free.

I personally prefer the yoplait YQ yogurt-- which is made with microfiltered yogurt. The small tubs are 15 g protein, 2.5 grams of fat, and 10 carbs.

Neither of those is very high volume though so you'd probably still want to eat some fruit along with. Adding protein powder boost the protein without adding signficant fat or carbs (depending on your protein powder)-- so I think it's a pretty good trick.

Or, fairlife milk is also microfiltered so it is high protein. My family really likes it. What about combining that with some kind of decent-macro cereal? I am not sure what your current eating plan is.

Every time I buy yogurt I hardly eat it. I finally figured out that its because I don't really much like it.  :D

I used to eat cereal from a bag like a toddler (I don't like milk). I could try to find something but most are low protein or delicious stuff like granola is super high fat.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 01:32:21 PM »
This is why you struggle with breakfast-- you either don't like "breakfast foods" or you choose not to eat the ones you like. That brings me back to my earlier suggestion of just eating something that fits your current dietary profile and forget about trying to make it breakfast. You can re-name it "meal #1" if it makes you feel better.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 01:43:09 PM »
This is why you struggle with breakfast-- you either don't like "breakfast foods" or you choose not to eat the ones you like. That brings me back to my earlier suggestion of just eating something that fits your current dietary profile and forget about trying to make it breakfast. You can re-name it "meal #1" if it makes you feel better.

This is exactly why I struggle. I was eating hard boiled eggs and fruit until my cholesterol issues.  :D

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 02:13:26 PM »
Oh, right, now I get the "no eggs" thing.

I will say that this isn't the most appetizing looking dish but I think it is pretty decent flavor wise. DH won't eat it though <---- full disclosure.

I struggle with eggwhites but this is one way I can eat them.

http://paulashealthyliving.com/egg-dish-casserole/?fbclid=IwAR3OHVD6_hvaiJJ6HXCKZYOTMjMJX3U_cqeYUp29TC3LNHtbkBivzeyIZ7I

Here are a couple of recipes from my meal program group. I think you could easily adapt the whole30 one for egg whites and add some low fat or non-fat cheese to add some pizzaz

http://paulashealthyliving.com/egg-dish-casserole/?fbclid=IwAR3OHVD6_hvaiJJ6HXCKZYOTMjMJX3U_cqeYUp29TC3LNHtbkBivzeyIZ7I

split into 8 pieces for 42g P (fiancé is bulking) 14g C OR 16 pieces for 21g P 7g C.

Can easily alter for desired macros:
Wheat bread sliced into cubes in the bottom of the tray. (I used 7 pieces)
Top with cooked turkey sausage. (I used 2 rolls)
Pour egg white evenly over bread & sausage. (large container & 1 small container)
Add fat free cheddar cheese (3/4 of bag)

Let sit in fridge for 2-4 hours. I only did 1 and can tell bread was not fully soaked in egg white yet- but if you're in a rush it still tastes great.

Cook for 40 mins on 350.

And another version (you could add turkey sausage):
Bell peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, onion, spinach, and sliced olives. I add a touch of organic salsa in the morning. This makes 6 servings. This is week 4 and I still love it. Edited with directions: 9x13 casserole dish, spray with non-stick, layer of spinach, layer on chopped veg, then pour 6 servings of egg whites on the top, bake at 350 for 45 minutes until middle set firm.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 02:14:53 PM »
That looks pretty good!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 03:25:52 PM »
DD hates breakfast foods, she eats regular foods like she would for lunch or dinner most mornings.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline ihop

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 04:42:11 PM »
DH used to eat a turkey sandwich with veggies and fruit almost every morning.  His lunch is usually leftovers from the previous day's dinner.  Is that something that would work?  That way you wouldn't feel like you were eating lunch twice.
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 04:48:57 PM »
DH used to eat a turkey sandwich with veggies and fruit almost every morning.  His lunch is usually leftovers from the previous day's dinner.  Is that something that would work?  That way you wouldn't feel like you were eating lunch twice.

I have definitely been known to eat a turkey sandwich for lunch. Over the summer I would stop at these chairs by the creek in the shopping center across the street from work and eat my sandwich there before heading in to work.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 05:29:42 PM »
whole grain pasta tossed with roasted veggies and bragg's

+-SUPPORT US