Author Topic: Sorghum  (Read 6617 times)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Sorghum
« on: November 26, 2015, 07:36:32 PM »
I bought  bag of this, not knowing what it was.  Any ideas on how to use it?  I was thinking of preparing it in the rice cooker, but am flexible.

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
Re: Sorghum
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 05:08:03 PM »
I thought sorghum was a type of molasses...?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 06:03:58 PM »
I have used sorghum flour in baking in years past, but never had the actual grain.  It is sweet.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 01:32:15 PM »
Did you end up cooking it? Results? I would love to find a hot grain/cereal for my kids' breakfasts since we had to give up oatmeal. They like savory quinoa but sweet hasn't been a hit.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 02:32:23 PM »
Did you end up cooking it? Results? I would love to find a hot grain/cereal for my kids' breakfasts since we had to give up oatmeal. They like savory quinoa but sweet hasn't been a hit.
DD likes millet. What about brown rice? I have made rice pudding almost for breakfast for DD with some coconut milk, dried or fresh diced fruit, maple syrup.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 02:50:07 PM »
DD likes millet. What about brown rice? I have made rice pudding almost for breakfast for DD with some coconut milk, dried or fresh diced fruit, maple syrup.

1.  i make a barely sweet rice pudding, and we commonly eat it for breakfast.  i use brown rice, unsweetened rice or coconut or cow's milk, a vanilla bean, a dollop of maple syrup, a pinch of salt, an egg, and whatever dried fruit i have lying around.  and then bake it until it's finished.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 03:39:24 PM »
Rice is a good idea. The kids eat a lot of rice for lunch and dinner so I'd been trying to think of something different but do like the idea rice pudding, especially since I can add some egg too (dairy and eggs are both fine). What's millet like Meri?

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 03:51:01 PM »
would they eat buckwheat cereal?  my mother often made that when we were little kids.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 04:30:32 PM »
would they eat buckwheat cereal?  my mother often made that when we were little kids.

Maybe! What's it like?! (They are just turned two, what they will and won't eat changes from moment to moment, so regardless, I'm likely to try.) I have used buckwheat flour but haven't seen it in any other form. But our coop likely carries it, if it exists.

Once my son is a little older and can tell us if he feels sick, we can try GF oats but right now our doctor wants us to avoid so I'm in experimentation mode.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 04:40:55 PM »
Millet it kinda like quinoa, but smaller, not bitter, a little sweeter. It is big at her school for some reason.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 05:19:53 PM »
Maybe! What's it like?! (They are just turned two, what they will and won't eat changes from moment to moment, so regardless, I'm likely to try.) I have used buckwheat flour but haven't seen it in any other form. But our coop likely carries it, if it exists.

it has a strong flavor - almost like burnt toast, and the texture is okay. 

if it isn't cooked enough, it is frothy.  when i was little, i preferred it drier (more like oatmeal), and ate it with brown sugar or maple syrup, and butter.

mum also used buckwheat flour to make pancakes, which i much preferred to the cereal.  they are DELICIOUS.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 08:23:10 PM »
I used to make them crepes often. I've seen buckwheat crepes on menus. I should try that in addition to millet cereal. (Sounds like buckwheat cereal might be a tough sell.)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2015, 06:41:44 AM »

Yes. I liked it.  I think it's great for salads or hot.  I don;t know about breakfast, but I simply would never even have thought of using it for breakfast.
May I ask why you gave up oatmeal? 

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2015, 09:08:48 PM »
Yes. I liked it.  I think it's great for salads or hot.  I don;t know about breakfast, but I simply would never even have thought of using it for breakfast.
May I ask why you gave up oatmeal? 

Hopefully not for good. My son was diagnosed with Celiac. Our Dr. asked us to exclude oats for six months to a year (most people think the major issue with them is cross contamination but some think they may have a protein similar enough to the one in wheat to trigger a reaction). Then, when we know he's healed and can better detect things that give him symptoms we will try gluten free oats.

We are just running out of breakfast ideas. They kids already eat lots of eggs, gf waffles, etc.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 07:14:33 AM »
Hopefully not for good. My son was diagnosed with Celiac. Our Dr. asked us to exclude oats for six months to a year (most people think the major issue with them is cross contamination but some think they may have a protein similar enough to the one in wheat to trigger a reaction). Then, when we know he's healed and can better detect things that give him symptoms we will try gluten free oats.

We are just running out of breakfast ideas. They kids already eat lots of eggs, gf waffles, etc.

Have you tried the gluten-free cereal mix by Bob's Mills?

+-SUPPORT US