Author Topic: Goodbye to Summer recipe help needed (delicious peach cobbler recipe inside)  (Read 3329 times)

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
Southern Living recipe

I wanted to have a "Goodbye to Summer" dinner on Sunday but work got in the way!  My plan was to make things I never made before but always wanted to.

On the menu was:
BBQ ribs
slowcooker baked beans
peach cobbler

...and I'd fill in with corn on the cob, rolls - whatever.

So that didn't happen but now I'm trying my hand at each recipe individually -- last night was the peach cobbler. Really good -- but it wasn't all that easy!  Especially since my technique for peeling peaches is to cut an x on the bottom of each and boil them then place in ice water to be able to peel with your hands.  Anyway, it was an unusual recipe, with the layering of butter, then batter, then peaches, but the result was amazing.  The batter rises up and encases (?) the peaches.

Feel free to share any recipes for cobbler, ribs, baked beans -- the student is ready, hoping the teacher will come. Hahaha.
If I've learned nothing else, it's that people are crazy.
--RioG

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
end of summer means blackberries around here... which means time for

caribougrrl's Once A Year Cake

2-1/2 c shelled walnuts
6 eggs, divided
1 c honey
1/2 c chambord or St.-Germain or Grand Marnier or other liqueur to your liking or maple syrup
1 c whipping cream
lots of blackberries... 2 cups or more

preheat oven to 400F and butter a tart pan with a removeable bottom or a 9" springform pan

toast walnuts on a baking tray until warm and fragrant (about 5 minutes), set aside to cool; in a LARGE bowl beat eggs and honey together until pale yellow; grind half the walnuts into a coarse meal and chop the remaining nuts unevenly; mix walnuts into yolk mixture (this will be a stiff batter)

with clean beaters, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form; stir about 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture to make it smooth; fold the remaining egg whites in; pour into prepared pan and put in oven; immediately turn oven down to 375F; bake until done... about 40 minutes, but check it at 30 min just in case; let cool in pan on a rack

whip the cream until stiff

use a long serrated knife to split the cake horizontally; brush cut surfaces with liqueur; spread half your berries on top of the bottom layer; spread all the whipped cream over the berries, top with remaining berries then top layer of cake cut side down; refrigerate for at least an hour before serving

Offline diablita

• The Runners
'bou that sounds amazing!  And actually, the nutrition profile is kind of great for a cake.  It could be paleo with whipped coconut cream to replace the dairy.  May try it.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
That cake sounds amazing -- take a photo when you make it this year, if you haven't already..
If I've learned nothing else, it's that people are crazy.
--RioG

+-SUPPORT US