Author Topic: rhubarb!  (Read 2549 times)

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
rhubarb!
« on: June 08, 2020, 12:14:29 PM »
as requested by Bonita, some rhubarb recipes... feel free to add your own

Stewed rhubarb - which I mix with plain yogurt, use as an ice cream sauce or sauce with spice cake, or just eat it out of a bowl... also good on porridge or granola, waffles/pancakes instead of syrup:

6 cups chopped rhubarb
1/2 c sugar
2 tbsp water
optional: tsp of rose water OR some sage leaves OR sliced fresh ginger

Put all the ingredients in a pot, heat over medium, stir occassionally until the sugar is all dissolved and the rhubarb is well cooked. Yesterday I made an 18 cups of rhubarb batch... much of it got frozen.

Rhubarb Cordial
Essentially, strained stewed rhubarb but with a way higher sugar ratio.

Use it for cocktails, or mix with club soda for a rhubarb soda. Can also be used in place of syrups/sauces on desserts and pancakes.

Rhubarb Catsup http://moosecurrry.blogspot.com/2015/06/rhubarb-ketchup-recipe.html

This tagliatelle with rhubarb and dill is really good.

Sometimes I accidentally pick some really young, really thin stalks... those I just shave or slice thinly into salad.

I have used rhubarb in place of lemon in soups: both rasam (like a tomato rasam that has lemon in it... I have never tried to do a straight forward rhubarb rasam instead of lemon rasam) and  egyptian-style red lentil soup were really good with rhubarb.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Re: rhubarb!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 12:19:23 PM »
Thank you!!

I can't believe I've never thought to pair rhubarb with ginger. I can't wait to try this. And I'm currently on a big yogurt kick so I'll be all over that stewed recipe.

Re: the cordial -- my mom has a fantastic gin punch recipe that uses a rhubarb-based syrup. She got everyone quite buzzed on it (except for me!) at my baby shower... :roll:

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 02:52:20 PM »
I made the Jam in this recipe that we love. So good with yogurt and anywhere you use jam.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/rhubarb-brown-butter-bars

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 05:22:13 PM »
Oh, I loved stewed rhubarb on ice cream growing up. So much grandma in that memory  :heartbeat:

Offline glwestcott

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 11:40:33 PM »
According to my niece in Juneau: Any pie needs it’s contingent of rhubarb and, by the way, so does your morning cereal, your ice cream, your cake recipe, your salad... 

Personally, I think it’s just that so few things grow so well there, but I do like her desserts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline wombleatwimbledon

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 04:41:53 AM »
Strawberry and Rhubarb jam

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 06:08:37 AM »
According to my niece in Juneau: Any pie needs it’s contingent of rhubarb and, by the way, so does your morning cereal, your ice cream, your cake recipe, your salad... 

Personally, I think it’s just that so few things grow so well there, but I do like her desserts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

:D

sounds so familiar

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 06:17:18 AM »
my birthday falls in strawberry season out here (early August), which is also the end of our rhubarb season... on year my partner made this cake for me:

Reisling Rhubarb Crisp Cake

She made a buttercream with strawberry puree in it instead of the one in the recipe, and used more rhubarb/less strawberry in the compote. This cake is a lot of work, but really good. Frankly though, the best part is the crispy oat crumble, you could just make that and sprinkle it on top of your ice cream with stewed rhubarb...

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 06:32:12 AM »
Rhubarb Coleslaw - from an Olia Hercules recipes, she serves it with mackerel, works well with any oily fishy-fish or anything else that can do with cutting the richness a bit (like pulled pork or lamb chops etc.)

Juice of 1 lemon
2 tsp caster sugar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 fennel bulb, trimmed, tough outer stalks removed
150g rhubarb (works best with thin young stalks)
150g radishes

Mix the lemon juice with the sugar, some salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Trim the fennel and remove the tough outer stalks. Reserve the fennel fronds.

Slice the rhubarb, radishes and fennel as thinly as you possibly can. Immediately toss them in the seasoned lemon juice to avoid oxidisation and to pickle them slightly. Add the fennel fronds and set aside for at least 10 minutes before serving.

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 10:18:56 AM »
my birthday falls in strawberry season out here (early August), which is also the end of our rhubarb season... on year my partner made this cake for me:

Reisling Rhubarb Crisp Cake

She made a buttercream with strawberry puree in it instead of the one in the recipe, and used more rhubarb/less strawberry in the compote. This cake is a lot of work, but really good. Frankly though, the best part is the crispy oat crumble, you could just make that and sprinkle it on top of your ice cream with stewed rhubarb...

That looks amazing! (But rhubarb crisp is still hands down my favorite way to eat rhubarb. Unless it’s warm rhubarb crisp with ice cream)

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 01:22:44 PM »
i have bookmarked that cake recipe.  thanks.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2020, 02:20:18 PM »
Rhubarb Coleslaw - from an Olia Hercules recipes, she serves it with mackerel, works well with any oily fishy-fish or anything else that can do with cutting the richness a bit (like pulled pork or lamb chops etc.)

Juice of 1 lemon
2 tsp caster sugar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 fennel bulb, trimmed, tough outer stalks removed
150g rhubarb (works best with thin young stalks)
150g radishes

Mix the lemon juice with the sugar, some salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Trim the fennel and remove the tough outer stalks. Reserve the fennel fronds.

Slice the rhubarb, radishes and fennel as thinly as you possibly can. Immediately toss them in the seasoned lemon juice to avoid oxidisation and to pickle them slightly. Add the fennel fronds and set aside for at least 10 minutes before serving.

Huh. This is really interesting, I love mackerel and I can imagine this would be an interesting combo.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2020, 03:29:57 PM »
that cake is stunning  :heartbeat:

amazing that your strawberry season is in Aug  :d. right before first snow? 
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2020, 03:45:07 PM »
that cake is stunning  :heartbeat:

amazing that your strawberry season is in Aug  :d. right before first snow? 

IKR? I grew up in s. Ontario where strawberry season starts in early-mid June... my mother's birthday is early in the month and in a good year we'd have strawberry shortcake for her birthday (other years, always butterscotch chiffon cake)... on my birthday we were usually eating corn on the cob and fresh peaches. It's a bit of a mindf*ck to have fresh local strawberries on my birthday.

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2020, 07:34:44 AM »
Here's a totally different treatment for rhubarb from Tamil!BFF:  rhubarb pickle. I've made this on a number of occasions.  It's intensely delicious!

These are her notes in italics.

“Thokku” is a cooked pickle made of any sour fruit / plant material that is suitably converted into a fine mush before or during the pickling process. The original recipe is made with peeled and grated green mango in season. The shelf-life is quite long, especially in the refrigerator.

I have made this with rhubarb as well as cranberries in season.

Works well with sour crab apples that they grow in Wisconsin. In California, they call something called “Lady Apples” as Crab Apples, and they are too weird for pickling, too sweet.

Also works well with grapes they sell rarely called “sour grapes.”

The pickle can be had with any Indian food, but it also makes a great spread on the bread for grilled cheese!

So, here is the formula for Rhubarb - you can adapt it to the other mentioned sour materials. The most essential pickling spices that preserve the pickle are turmeric and powdered roasted fenugreek and salt. The hotness is negotiable. If you have the turmeric, fenugreek and salt to the right extent, the pickle will keep well!

Ingredients:

3.5 cups rhubarb cut into ½ inch cubes
1 tsp black mustard seeds - 1 tsp 
1/2 tsp asafoetida/hing
2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp fenugreek powder/ vendhayam  (dry roasted and powdered) (I roast about a 1/4 cup of fenugreek on a dry pan over medium-low heat until it's fragrant, set it aside to cool, grind into a powder and bottle it for future use).
5 T chili powder (I use straight-up chili powder like deggi mirch or Kashmiri mirch; BFF recommends Reshampatti chili powder)
2 tsp to 1 tablespoon salt (to taste)
1 cup cold-pressed sesame seed oil (NOT roasted sesame oil)

Method:

1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat in a thick-bottomed nonreactive pan.
2. Add the mustard seeds and let splutter.
3. Add asafoetida and fenugreek powder, and stir around for a few seconds.
4. Add turmeric and stir around for a few more seconds.
5. Add the rhubarb pieces, the rest of the oil and a teaspoon of salt, stir and cook over medium heat until rhubarb becomes a mush.  Cook till the moisture is mostly gone and the oil comes to the top of the mush - may be it takes about 15 minutes or so.  Stir frequently and reduce heat as needed so the mix doesn't burn. 
6. Now start adding the hot chili powder and salt, keep stirring to mix and continue to cook till you get to the taste balance that you like.
7. Remove from heat, allow to cool and bottle it up - and store in the refrigerator.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 07:37:41 AM by DocBuzzkill »

#notallprogressives

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2020, 08:38:27 AM »
Rhubarb & Lovage Soup

a variation of Rhubarb Soup with Bacon Omelet

1 tbsp sunflower oil
3 shallots, diced
8 thin stalks rhubarb (about 3 cups chopped)
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp sugar
4 plum tomatoes, peeled and diced
4 cups chicken stock
1 stalk fresh lovage
3/4 c thin plain yogurt (I stole some from an incubating batch that wasn't quite done; kefir would work nicely, or any yogurt thinned to pouring consistency with milk or water)

Sautee shallot and rhubarb in oil until just softened, add paprika and sugar and stir to mix, add tomatoes. Continue cooking over medium heat until tomatoes start to break down. Add chicken stock, bring to boil and reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes. Add lovage. Continue simmering for another 5-10 minutes. Puree with an immersion blender. Stir in yogurt and heat through.

Chicken in a pot with orzo and rhubarb - we adapted Nigella Lawson's recipe by reducing the amount of lemon zest & juice to one lemon, adding a half-cup of rhubarb juice (blitz raw rhubarb in food processor and drain) and one stalk of super thinly sliced rhubarb... subbed fresh parsley for the tarragon... couple of bunches of green onion instead of leeks because that's what we had... turned out really well, the rhubarb is not super clear in the flavour but, with the lemon, it gives a very fresh/clean taste

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2020, 01:24:01 PM »
Just made peach rhubarb crisp.  Yum.
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

+-SUPPORT US