Author Topic: Rhubarb ideas?  (Read 4399 times)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Rhubarb ideas?
« on: June 06, 2018, 09:35:23 PM »
I have loads of it. What should I do with it?

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
Re: Rhubarb ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 12:05:27 AM »
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/walnut-strawberry-or-rhubarb-quick-bread-recipe

My sister made this recently (all rhubarb, no strawberry) and though I didn't get to try it, she said OH MY GOD IT'S SO GOOD, and that she might marry her King Arthur Flour cookbook, so I think it's worth trying.  :D

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Rhubarb ideas?
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 07:20:10 AM »
Hah! I do love King Arthur flour recipes. I'll check it out!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 08:58:55 AM by BonitaApplebum »

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 07:54:04 AM »
I have loads of it. What should I do with it?

How about a South Indian-style chutney or pickle?

#notallprogressives

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 08:58:39 AM »
How about a South Indian-style chutney or pickle?

Ooh, that's a cool idea. Will have to do some googling.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 10:40:53 AM »

Ooh, that's a cool idea. Will have to do some googling.

If I can find the recipe book, I'll send along the one I have made - really nice balance of hot from the chiles and tart from the rhubarb.

#notallprogressives

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 11:34:23 AM »
If I can find the recipe book, I'll send along the one I have made - really nice balance of hot from the chiles and tart from the rhubarb.

Please do, I love that flavor profile.

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 08:55:43 PM »
I had some pickled rhubarb at a Japanese restaurant very recently.  They were good, but in looking for a recipe online, I found this (different) one, which to me sounds even better: http://phickle.com/misozuke-miso-cultured-pickles/

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 10:38:39 PM »
love this idea!

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 04:41:12 PM »
Please do, I love that flavor profile.

I could not find that old recipe book, but my Tamil BFF sent this along:

Rhubarb Thokku

“Thokku” is a cooked pickle made of any sour fruit / plant material that is suitably converted into a fine mush before or during the pickling process. The original recipe is made with peeled and grated green mango in season. The shelf-life is quite long, especially in the refrigerator.  This can be made with rhubarb, cranberries, and sour crab apples.

Per BFF, the pickle can accompany any Indian food, but it also makes a great spread on bread for grilled cheese!

The most essential pickling spices that preserve the pickle are turmeric and powdered roasted fenugreek and salt. The hotness is negotiable. If you have the turmeric, fenugreek and salt to the right extent, the pickle will keep well!

Ingredients:

• Rhubarb cut into ½ inch cubes - 3 cups level, approximately (about the same as 2 cups of peeled and grated green mangoes or 2 cups of clean fresh cranberries).
  • Mustard seeds - 1 tsp 
  • Asafoetida/Hing -1/4 tsp
  • Turmeric powder -  1 teaspoon
  • Fenugreek powder/ vendhayam  (dry roasted and powdered) - 1/2 tsp (BFF usually roasts about a ½ cup of fenugreek on a dry pan on medium heat until fragrant, let cool, powder and bottle it up so that it can be used for any pickle at any time).
  • Chilli powder -1/4 cup  (BFF usually uses a medium hot chili powder, such as Reshampatti chili powder; if cayenne is used, add it by the teaspoon until you hit the balance that works for you).
  • Salt -2 tbsp or as required (again, add by the teaspoon until you hit the balance that works for you).
  • Sesame seed oil (the Indian kind, Spectrum or Sprouts brand will work and is preferable - not the Chinese kind) -1/4 cup + 2 tbsp.

Procedure:

• Heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat in a thick-bottomed nonreactive pan.
  • Add the mustard seeds and let splutter.
  • Add asafoetida and fenugreek powder, and stir around for a few seconds.
  • Add turmeric and stir around for a few more seconds.
  • Add the rhubarb pieces, the rest of the oil and a teaspoon of salt, stir and cook over medium heat unti the rhubarb becomes mushy; continue to cook (stirring) till the moisture is mostly gone and the oil comes to the top of the mush - BFF says this takes about 15 to 30 minutes. Be sure to reduce the heat as the fluid evaporates and continue to stir to prevent burning.
  • Now start adding the chili powder and salt, keep stirring to mix and continue to cook till you get to the taste balance that you like.
  • Remove from heat, allow to cool and bottle it up - and store in the refrigerator.

#notallprogressives

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 08:20:04 PM »
Thanks, I am definitely making that! I have everything except the  asofoetida (I'm not entirely sure what that even is, but I'm sure I can find it and figure it out).

+-SUPPORT US